Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

cpu temperture...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

cpu temperture...

Old 06-11-01, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i m running a t.b. 1ghz w/ asus a7v133 m/b.
i saw in the utility software from asus that my cpu is running at 64 c/ 147 f.
i think that's kinda high.
i m using vantec cpu fan which is spinning at around 7k rpm
i guess that didnt help much...

any suggestion for this?

shadows01
Old 06-12-01, 12:00 AM

I have a Celeron myself, but from what I've heard that's pretty high for your chip (especially if that's not under a full load). I don't know about your fan. I'd go out and get a decent HSF, probably get one for $30. Heck even a Volcano 2 HSF which is supposed to be so-so should give you better temps than that (you can get one at http://www.newegg.com for $8 plus S/H).

Other than that, make sure with your current setup that you have a good interface between the chip and HSF. The HS might need to be lapped down if it's not flat or has imperfections. Also, don't use too much thermal grease as it will give you poor heat transferance. A good thermal grease to consider would be Artic Silver 2. Try either that or go to Radioshack and get their generic silicone based stuff, that's cheap and pretty good.

You should be able to get those temps down at least 10-20 C I'd think.

For more help check out the anandtech or hardwarecentral CPU and Cooling forums.
Old 06-12-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's pretty damn hot, you don;t really want your chip temp going much above 50 if you can help it. You should check that your heatsink is seated properly and that you've got some thermal compound between the heatsink and the CPU core.
Old 06-12-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I own this same motherboard. One thing to remember, although you are still probably running a little too hot, in some Asus motherboards, including this one, the reported temps can be about 10 degrees C high. Go to the cases and cooling forum at AnandTech if you want a confirmation of this.

As mentioned above I'd definitely make sure you are going with a good thermal compound like the Arctic Silver II or RS stuff and that you remove any thermal pad.

How is your case cooling? On my setup I had a front intake fan and the PS exhaust fan. Installing one 80mm exhaust fan above that in the case reduced my core temp 6-10 degrees C!! So case cooling can play a big part. One or two 80mm fans are quiet and cheap.

If you do not have air conditioning your ambient room temperature can make the core and case temps skyrocket in the hot weather. There's not as much you can do about that except for adding air cond or room fans to bring your room temp down.

Your heatsink sounds like it should be adequate. I have a Volcano II and it's a very nice hsf for the $$. Should be adequate for all non-overclockers and it's very quiet.

Old 06-12-01, 03:29 PM

i do have some thermal compound on my chip. now i opened up my case and put a fan (not for computer, the one i use for the roomm..u know..) right next to my computer, well....reduce m/b temp by about 10c and cpu temp by 8c.
but the cpu temp is still high at 56c.

i was thinking about the water cool...but that cause too much money and works.

shadows01
Old 06-12-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But what is your ambient room temp? If you're using a room fan it sounds like you might not have AC, and in hotter weather you're going to be limited in cooling by the ambient room temp.

By the way, I get better cooling with my case closed and the slight vaccuum created by having two exhaust fans and one intake than I do with the case completely open.

56 degrees C is only about 134 F or so. Considering that your reading may be off by 10 degrees because of the mainboard, your temp may only be in the 120s F, maybe in the 110s. Tbirds are going to run hot anyway and unless you're overclocking this should be acceptable. If you can get it to run at 56 degrees C in a fashion that is acceptable to you.

My 1333 is running anywhere from 50-57 degrees C (depending on if my air is on or not, etc.) and I'm fine with that since I'm not overclocking and I know the mainboard is reading the temps high. I can put my hand on the heatsink while it's running and the heat doesn't seem out of line at all.
Old 06-12-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure anything over 120F is bad for a processor
Old 06-12-01, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And I disagree. Computer parts run hot dude. A lot of people's rooms are 80-90 degrees F. How can you even expect the parts, especially a 1ghz cpu, to be down to something like room temperature unless you have some refrigeration for extreme overclocking? I bet if everyone with a stock branded system could download a utility that measured the core temp (assuming their motherboard had the proper sensors) they'd be shocked at how hot some of theirs are running. But unless it's so hot so as to be unstable or just melt, it really shouldn't matter if you aren't overclocking. Stable is stable. I think overclockers and especially extreme overclockers give everyone else the idea that they need super cooling too.

Before it became 100% necessary to have fans in addition to heatsinks on the faster and faster mhz parts, I remember 3-6 years ago you could just about burn your hand touching your cpu's heatsink or the chips on a fast video card. Those parts were way way above 120 degrees.

I'm probably going to sound crazy here but this 1333 Tbird I have came with a crappy hsf and it was up around 150 degrees F without a load in the cooler weather of a couple months ago, and still zero stability problems. Of course I thought that was a little too hot so I bought a better hsf.
Old 06-12-01, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My P3 800 idles at around 36C/96F degrees and peaks around 55C/130F after heavy game playing. That is with a stock fan and power supply fan only. If it actually runs 10 degrees cooler (I'm using the Asus probe), then all the better!

[Edited by Goblincat on 06-13-01 at 07:47 PM]
Old 06-12-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could not find a specific temp on the AMD web page (I did not look very hard) but the base plate temp was allowed to be a max of 70 degrees celsius. As long as your probe temp is below that, you are most likely safe.

Intel PIII's must be below 80 degrees celsius core temp (I can not remember base).

If you are around 56 or 60 celsius, who cares? you are within spec. I can tell you from experience, Intels can run hotter than hell and still be ok, you just shorten the overall life of the processor.
Old 06-13-01, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shadows01
i m running a t.b. 1ghz w/ asus a7v133 m/b.
i saw in the utility software from asus that my cpu is running at 64 c/ 147 f.
i think that's kinda high.
i m using vantec cpu fan which is spinning at around 7k rpm
i guess that didnt help much...

any suggestion for this?

shadows01
first download motherboard monitor then uninstall asus probe. motherboard monitor is far more accurate.

next what case do you have and how many fans?

are you overclocking?

the Fan/HS should be better than stock.

from http://www.heatsink-guide.com/

AMD Athlon and Duron

Socket A CPUs (Athlon, Duron) up to 1GHz 90C
Socket A CPUs (Athlon) 1.1GHz or more 95C
All Slot A CPUs (Athlon classic, Athlon Thunderbird) 70C

since the A7V133 is a socket A MB it will go up to 90 degress C.

you are fine. they just run hotter.
Old 06-13-01, 12:09 AM

found the reason

i found the reason why my cpu is running that hot.

it's the motherboard. it sounds impossible but this is what i found out.

before i changed to the new motherboard (both old and new are a7v133) the cpu is running at around 60 degree C, and the system keeps freezing. i tried to change everything i can think of to stop the freezing, including memory, ...etc.
finally i changed my motherboard, the cpu is running at 48 now, that's weird huh...

shadows01
Old 06-13-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
it's what I read in a computer mag, it might have been a little higher than that

Originally posted by Wolfchild
And I disagree. Computer parts run hot dude. A lot of people's rooms are 80-90 degrees F. How can you even expect the parts, especially a 1ghz cpu, to be down to something like room temperature unless you have some refrigeration for extreme overclocking? I bet if everyone with a stock branded system could download a utility that measured the core temp (assuming their motherboard had the proper sensors) they'd be shocked at how hot some of theirs are running. But unless it's so hot so as to be unstable or just melt, it really shouldn't matter if you aren't overclocking. Stable is stable. I think overclockers and especially extreme overclockers give everyone else the idea that they need super cooling too.

Before it became 100% necessary to have fans in addition to heatsinks on the faster and faster mhz parts, I remember 3-6 years ago you could just about burn your hand touching your cpu's heatsink or the chips on a fast video card. Those parts were way way above 120 degrees.

I'm probably going to sound crazy here but this 1333 Tbird I have came with a crappy hsf and it was up around 150 degrees F without a load in the cooler weather of a couple months ago, and still zero stability problems. Of course I thought that was a little too hot so I bought a better hsf.