Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Access 2000 bar code scanners and Compaq

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Access 2000 bar code scanners and Compaq

Old 06-06-01, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again I shall attempt to harness the power of the DVD Forum. The company I work for is about to overhall a massive access database it uses to keep track of inventoried assets (mainly Compaq laptop computers) All of the laptops have a unique serial number supplied by compaq on a sticker with a barcode. What we want is a barcode scanner, and software that will allow us to scan the barcode, and interface with access to bring up the info associated with that serial number (its company asset tag number, who its assigned to etc.) So far, my limited searching has yeilded nothing in access about using barcode scanners. Is there even a standard format, or is that info we will have to get from Compaq? SOmeone out there in the IS/IT field has to have a similar situation that uses a system like this.

Any and all help and refrences are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-07-01, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple years ago, I did a little research for a project to automate an inventory system using UPC bar codes. I couldn't give you any specific links, but I don't remember it being that hard to find information on the net. I think we ended up using scanners from Symbol Technologies.

First, you need to find out exactly what kind of bar code is used on the labels of your asset. I seem to recall there being about a bazillion different types of machine readable "bar codes" and while many of them look alike, they're all quite imcompatible and the scanner you buy is going to depend on the specific type of code you're using.

Actually integrating the bar code scanner with the PC was extremely simple. It turned out that many of them come with a keyboard interface where it sits between the ps/2 connector from your keyboard and the ps/2 connector on the computer. When it scans a code, it inputs the data into the computer as a rapid series of keystrokes, with or without an "enter" key at the end. Obviously, programing that into the database application was pretty trivial.