Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

? about networking two laptops together

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

? about networking two laptops together

Old 06-05-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an old laptop with some large PowerPoint files on the hard drive, and I need to get them onto a newer laptop. Since floppy disks won't work, and the old laptop doesn't have a ZIP or CD-R, I had an idea - maybe I can temporarily network them together.

The only catch is this - the old one has Token-Ring, and the newer one has Ethernet. But since both cards can use the same type of twisted-pair cable, shouldn't I be able to set up a simple P2P connection between them and copy the files over? It seems to me like it would work, but maybe I don't know any better.

Any ideas?
Old 06-05-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AFAIK, there's no easy way to network the two together via the ethernet and token ring cards. There are bridge and router devices that could make it possible, but I would think their cost would be prohibitive.

Your best bet is probably to use Laplink or Window's Direct Cable Connect feature via the parallel port or serial port.
Old 06-05-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do both laptops have IR ports? Just a thought. Otherwise get a null-modem serial cable and use Laplink or something like that.
Old 06-05-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly how big are these files you need to move and how many are there?

Winzip + Span Floppy option = a was to move files bigger than 1.44mb

But if you are talking 50mb worth of files that could suck. Borrow a parallel port ZIP drive. If you don't have access to one, any store with a 30 day return policy will do

Old 06-06-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Token Ring and Ethernet use the same cables, but they are VASTLY different protocols.

Ethernet is what's known as a broadcast protocol, a machine can "talk" at any time, and it is broadcast out to every other machine. This also means it's fairly insecure and traffic intensive. But, it is cheaper, more common, and faster than token ring.

Token ring uses an electronic token. The token is passed around to each computer in the ring, and a computer may only talk when it has the token. It is not broadcast, but instead sent via token to the machine that is supposed to recieve it. The upside is it's much more secure and seems to have less problems. The downside is that it tends to be very expensive, uncommon, and very strange problems can happen -- we once had an token ring card that would grab the token and never let go of it. For the record, ethernet cards will always "eat" the token if placed on a token ring network.

I'd recommend either using the parallel port connection or getting another cheap ethernet card (shouldn't be more than $20-40) and a crossover cable (a normal ethernet cable will not work peer-to-peer).
Old 06-06-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ethernet is what's known as a broadcast protocol, a machine can "talk" at any time, and it is broadcast out to every other machine. This also means it's fairly insecure and traffic intensive. But, it is cheaper, more common, and faster than token ring.

Token ring uses an electronic token. The token is passed around to each computer in the ring, and a computer may only talk when it has the token. It is not broadcast, but instead sent via token to the machine that is supposed to recieve it.
OK, I fell like this right now -
What the hell was I thinking??? That's basic networking stuff. Oh well, chalk it up to a brain fart.

So there is a way to network via the parallel port? Could anyone add a little info to that, maybe a link to a site somewhere? I know that a connection via the parallel port would be sloooooooow, but that would be good enough for me.
Old 06-06-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Professor Frick, some basic information about using the parallel ports to connect two PC together is available within your own machine. One of the reasons why your Win9x is so bloated large is that there are 30 MB of help files or reference info.

FIND --> "direct cable connect"

You will also find info about this online via the search engines.
Old 06-06-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think what I'll do is connect the Token-Ring one to the network here, and connect the other laptop from a port on another floor in the building (one which is Ethernet). From there I'll get it onto the network here and copy the files over. God, what a pain just for some dumb PowerPoint presentations.

We will be changing to Ethernet very soon, but as you can see it's causing one hell of a headache right now!