Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to read and post to usenet?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best way to read and post to usenet?

Old 05-05-01, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had been using Deja.com forever and really liked it. But since Google.com has taken over, they no longer support posting.

Any ideas? Nothing technical here, just reading the rec. and alt. posts of my hobbies...

Thanks,
-Bill
Old 05-05-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read a post in the Other forum within the last week or 2 that Deja is going to put their archives back online and allow posting once again (sometime this month, I believe the date was). If you do a search for Google in the Other forum you should find the post.
Old 05-05-01, 05:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Here is the link to that post I made elsewhere last week.

The final sentence is repeated here to indicate a possible stopgap solution.
In the meantime Newsone, among others, offers a reasonable (and free) service.
I assume that it is not feasible to use "proper" newsreaders from where you do your surfing....

<small>Newsone FAQ</small>
Old 05-05-01, 07:49 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tip...

I'll try Newsone.net in the meantime.

Since I've only used Deja to read and post in the past, what exactly is considered a "proper newsreader"?

Just wondering...
Old 05-05-01, 10:17 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Deja is (was?) very useful for searching old posts, but I can't imagine using it for regular newsgroup reading. IMHO the Forte Agent interface/technique is orders of magnitude better than ANY HTML-based reader (including this one).
Old 05-06-01, 08:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Billman, because I know that some people mostly surf at work - behind firewalls or with other download restrictions - I wasn't quite sure if you were using a web interface out of choice; hence my rather oblique comment....

I think Startide posted a useful primer on Usenet/Newsgroup a while ago but I cannot locate it at present. Instead I'll include a few links so that anyone interested can read up for themselves at their own leisure:In essence, Usenet existed prior to the web, is primarily text-based and there is software to allow you to download the messages and compose your own responses either on or offline. Most paid ISPs have a news server on which recent messages from a selection of newsgroups are stored: because volume is very high you may find that not all groups are carried. This is particularly true of the binary groups.

NB) If you still use AOL you will find that they have a proprietary system for Usenet access (check out this page and also these thoughtful "primers" with additional useful advice on quoting) but you can still use third party software and free-standing news servers.

Mostly I use a free news server which has a limited listing of the newsgroups. Details here. One piece of advice I would offer is that you use a webmail address as your "from" if you post to newsgroups. The spammers like to trawl for current addresses and it is annoying to have to download their junk. (I tend to use a blocked "from" address and a valid "reply-to").
Old 05-06-01, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oops, I should have extracted the Usenet info in that long Napster thread into its own more useful thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=88322

The reason why all that Usenet info was in that Napster thread was that there were so very many MP3 on Usenet and no one up to that point had mentioned Usenet as the other main source. Another advantage of MP3 on usenet is that sets are often posted and the usenet message itself (or a preceding "info" posting) will describe the MP3.

Thanx, Benedict for the convenient Usenet links!

[Edited by Startide on 05-09-01 at 08:45 PM]
Old 05-08-01, 05:45 PM

Another 2 cents worth....

Here (http://cws.internet.com/news.html) is another place to see a list of newsreaders, compare their features, and download them. The advice at the top of the page is good -- try a few til you find one you like.

I'm a long time usenet junkie, and I love Free Agent. About the only two things offered by the full-fee Agent is the bozo filter and the ability to list more than one newserver (and I'm not so sure about the last). Recently, I downloaded Xnews to see how it works. The Netscape newsreader was horrible.

Deja I used only to search posts, but I was under the impression that you had to read newsgroups on line. The newsreaders let you connect to the server, download what you want to read and respond to at your convienence, then reconnect to upload responses/download more. You didn't need to be connected at all times.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-01, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by benedict
I think Startide posted a useful primer on Usenet/Newsgroup a while ago but I cannot locate it at present.
Was looking for this info myself, and was able to locate it on the second page of this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...2&pagenumber=2

Hope this helps...there are a couple of posts by Startide in there that should be quite useful.