Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Which paid TV and Movie streaming service do you not subscribe to?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
View Poll Results: Which paid TV and movie streaming services do you not subscribe to?
Netflix
16.00%
HBO Max
16.00%
Peacock
40.00%
Paramount +
20.00%
Disney +
24.00%
Hulu
20.00%
EPIX
92.00%
Starz
88.00%
AMC +
64.00%
Shudder
84.00%
Amazon Prime video
16.00%
Showtime
56.00%
Apple TV +
40.00%
Criterion Channel
88.00%
Sundance Now
96.00%
Other - Service not listed.
12.00%
Subscribe and cancel these services on a rotating basis to save money
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-22, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,515 Posts

We've done threads about which streaming service do people here have. But, I would like to maybe get a general idea of what services the folks here not have.

Hundreds of exclusive shows and movies come out in the various services each month and I know most here can't afford to subscribe to them, hates chasing content or simply don't have the time.

Is there ones that you don't subscribe to now, but will when XXXX show comes out? Or do you and your family only have time to watch stuff from XXX services and any more would be just wasting money?

Or maybe you don’t subscribe to xxxx service because the content isn’t interesting.

The main one that I don't subscribe to is Criterion because of expense and I don't think the films and content are worthwhile for me to have year round. I have tried it a few times, but end up not using it.

I don't have Shudder either. I have subscribed in the past, but I don't watch horror movies all the time.

Sundance Now I plan to cancel after my year promo ends. It has some good stuff, but I don't use it regularly enough.

Unless there is a promo again, I may pull the plug on AMC+. I got it for cheap last holiday season and have watched stuff, but overall it’s not a really good enough service that is worth keeping year round.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-17-22 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-17-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 209 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: Which paid TV and Movie streaming service do you not subscribe to?

I only tried Peacock when the MLB Giants game were exclusive on there for one weekend. Didn't care for Peacock, so I have no intention of paying for a subscription.

Don't care for HBO shows, so no interest in HBO Max. Also, not subscribed to Discovery+ since I already have the Discovery channel on Hulu Live and refuse to pay for it twice. Ridiculous.

Apple always offering me free trials of AppleTV+. Hard pass.

Not interested in Amazon Prime for streaming. I don't buy Amazon products (since they comingle inventory with 3rd party sellers), so I wouldn't get the full use of the Prime membership.

Old 08-17-22, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

I didn’t put Hi-Yah or any of the British services as options because they are way too small and too niche. Hi-Yah is dirt cheap at $3 per month, but the audience for Asian cinema/martial arts streaming is probably super small.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-17-22 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-17-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 337 Likes on 263 Posts

I don't subscribe to Peacock, Epix, Starz, AMC+, Shudder, or Sundance Now. I have almost every other streamer besides those.
Old 08-17-22, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

The only ones we have now are Disney+ and Amazon Prime video.

A few of the others we come and go with for a month.
Old 08-17-22, 06:45 PM

Received 374 Likes on 270 Posts

If Criterion was $6-$7 like most other niche services, I'd probably subscribe. But I don't want to spend $11/mo.

Last time I looked at AppleTV, it had hardly any content. And the only thing I'm really interested in watching is Ted Lasso.
Old 08-18-22, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I canceled Netflix after 20 years in May. I'll probably sign up again for a month or two in the fall. I'll might ditch Shudder, too, as nothing they've had this year has interested me much.
Old 08-19-22, 06:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Epix
AMC+
Shudder
Criterion
Sundance

Have the rest although Starz/Showtime/Max are through cable.
Old 08-19-22, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
I canceled Netflix after 20 years in May.
I did too, around that time. Felt kind of weird to dump them after having them for so long.

At this point, all I have is Disney+.
Old 08-19-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,228 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I only tried Peacock when the MLB Giants game were exclusive on there for one weekend. Didn't care for Peacock, so I have no intention of paying for a subscription.

Don't care for HBO shows, so no interest in HBO Max. Also, not subscribed to Discovery+ since I already have the Discovery channel on Hulu Live and refuse to pay for it twice. Ridiculous.

Apple always offering me free trials of AppleTV+. Hard pass.

Not interested in Amazon Prime for streaming. I don't buy Amazon products (since they comingle inventory with 3rd party sellers), so I wouldn't get the full use of the Prime membership.
Maybe you just don't have the time or interest, but why not just try Apple TV+ (unless you're saving your free trial for when there's something that really interests you?)

This is a tough one, because I don't know all the sub services, but I'll include ones that I'm getting dirt cheap or the ones I've been interested in that I probably wouldn't pay full price for:
I don't subscribe to Discovery+, Shudder, etc.
I only get Peacock because I got it for a year with my cable sub, but if that goes away I'm not sure I'll renew. Doesn't help that it's the ads version. Rarely watched unless I really want to catch a WWE event.
I only get Paramount+ because it was dirt cheap with sportsline, not sure I'd pay full price. But they are getting better.
HBO Max is free with my AT&T service but I honestly don't see that lasting too much longer and with all the shenanigans it's probably something I'd pay for every few months. Not loving the direction they're heading, I'm not sure anyone is. That would all change if they started streaming AEW PPVs though.
Hulu I got with the Black Friday deal. I might go for the Disney+ bundle when my cheap Disney+ sub expires, though it is one of my least watched subs mainly because of the ads (I'd get the ad free bundle) And the only reason I'd even consider ESPN+ is because it's bundled for basically free.
If Prime video wasn't bundled with Prime shipping I'd probably sub every few months for the Boys and misc. stuff.
Viki + we used to subscribe to but Netflix has a ton of Korean shows so maybe every once in a while
Apple +: on a free trial now, they have great content but I'm ok binging every few months, unless dirt cheap not something I'd pay for year round.

So the only ones I really feel like paying full price year around are:
Disney +: even with the price hikes, worth it for the kids content alone. Heck, Bluey is probably worth it alone.
Netflix: Everyone says they started sucking but they still have way more content than my family could ever watch, including anime, children stuff, sci fi shows and Korean dramas.
Crunchyroll: I used to rotate between this and Funimation but with them combined, it's a no brainer.
Old 08-19-22, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

Checked the ones neither me nor my parents subscribe to. Between us we have far too many. My dad has been subscribing to stuff then forgetting he has it.

I had Showtime for a few months in a discounted deal, they have one of the least intrusive interfaces but after a few months I’d seen nearly every movie they had. Criterion’s lack of 5.1 is a deal breaker, and Shudder’s quality is subpar all around. My dad is getting Peacock with commercials (I think he meant to drop that a few months ago) and they recently added Airplay support which makes that usable, but I would drop that just for the lack of 4K and Atmos. He’s getting AMC Plus now and I haven’t even watched that as it lacks 5.1.
Old 08-21-22, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

There's that other thread in Other about what makes you feel successful - the fact that between myself and a couple family members, I have access to all of these, that's what make me feel successful.
Old 08-21-22, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like we have a winner on 2 original content channels that almost nobody watches in this forum Starz and EPIX. I guess I won't be doing future threads for content from those channels.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-21-22 at 10:54 PM.