Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you log/record/track/analyze digital content and streams?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 08-12-20, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Odds are many of us either do, or did, track physical media to some extent, from purchases to loans/borrows to watches and buys/sales. I know I have relied on DVDProfiler for many years now.

What, if anything, do you do with the digital content you either "own" or are interested in?
Streaming on demand (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc) or streaming rental/ownership (Vudu, Microsoft Movies/TV, Amazon video)?

I know I have purchased stuff in random places that I have forgotten about or will likely never watch (hello, weird 1 season TV shows on Amazon; hello, bundle stuff on Google Play and anime on MS). I primarily buy/redeem/watch on Vudu because I like their interface and it's where most of my stuff is.
But I don't track it. I don't know for sure what I have where unless I go there to look.
(I did do an export one time of my Vudu collection to see what I had and how it worked.)

Streaming on demand is almost worse. Odds are if you're reading this, you have more than 1, maybe even 3, 5, 7 or more, streaming services. I know content varies but I would like a unified queue (I guess Justwatch may be the closest thing to this, I just need to use it more.) I forget what I'm watching, or go back and visit a queue and wonder why in the world I ever added this title, or thought I would ever watch that title.
And this might be me - but there's so much content out there that sometimes I think, "I heard about this show/movie that starred that one person, and it's on this one service, it's supposed to be good. What was it....and where was it." So I go back to watching Community and Doctor Who on Vudu. (not that that's a bad thing.)
But I get in a mood to watch this show on Netflix (there's like 5 shows I'm almost done with), or this one Amazon (I've heard Hanna is good), and watch a few episodes of that.
(Oddly, even with the current tendency to stay-at-home, I watch a relatively small proportion of movies; most of my viewing is TV, even though by the time I watch a 1 hour show and 2 30 minute shows, I could have watched a movie. Movies, to me, are a more 'active' decision, for some reason.)

Anyway, Justwatch is the tool that seems most useful to track/monitor some of this stuff that I'm aware of, but I currently only use it to look and see where stuff is available.

How have your physical media tracking/inventorying habits evolved, changed, or adapted as the landscape has grown much more diffuse, digital, and streaming oriented?
How have your viewing habits and patterns changed or adapted, or have they?
What tools or resources do you find useful to manage all these media vectors, or do you just buckle in and go along for the ride?

(And this has nothing to do with anything, but I just checked my profile and realized I have been here for just over 18 years. That's....I don't know what that is. My son turns 18 in October, one of my earliest posts was about him being born.)
Old 08-13-20, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Do you log/record/track/analyze digital content and streams?

I just use a Google spreadsheet to keep track of my digital purchases. (title, 4K/HD, accessible platforms) Logging all of views from the streaming services would be too much to keep up with. I'm not *that* OCD. My habits here haven't really changed because years ago I shifted over to a Google sheet to log my DVDs after a couple of tracking sites I used shut down.

I've got a note on my phone (via Keep) that I jot down the name of a new streaming movie/show that seems to be getting good buzz whenever I come across one. But they pile up and it'll never get whittled down significantly. I miss 2014, when I had the time and keeping on top of the latest talked about show was easy because there weren't very many.

As for movies in general, I log them at Letterboxd. I signed up early in the pandemic, so brainstorming every movie I've ever watched over the past four decades kept me busy for a while. And I know I've missed some that I've completely forgotten about.
Old 08-13-20, 09:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

No.
Old 08-13-20, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I created a spreadsheet to track all owned content back when I lost some content with the demise of CinemaNOW. It was a lot of work to initially create yet it is only small burden to add content as I we obtain it.

I have titles in first column. If owned Physical 2nd column. Then the following columns are if it shows in collection of each providers. I put the resolution owned in those cells per provider. The retailer to which it is initially procured gets just the resolution and the other retailers that it may have ported from UV or MA, I out a suffix on those resolutions in those cells of -MA or -UV as appropriate. I also add -TV if it is a TV tile.

I can filter any retailer and check my inventory count vs their count. This has been helpful when some titles went missing in the past and also if there is a porting error etc initially I can use that to track the issue.

Last edited by b2net; 08-13-20 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Better stated sentences
Old 08-13-20, 11:25 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts

i wouldn't even know where to begin or what question actually means. everything mostly in Vudu and it tells me how many titles. a few on Amazon only, but very sparse. what else is there to analyze?
Old 08-13-20, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

I extended my Bluray database for digital copies/purchases. I don't track streaming services.
Old 08-13-20, 04:40 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

I would track my collection if there was a good site or software that was easy to use and provided a lot of extra information. I'd be willing to pay for it if the price was reasonable. But I haven't seen anything that works well for digital collections.
Old 08-13-20, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

I only log things that I actually have possession of.
Old 08-13-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I would track my collection if there was a good site or software that was easy to use and provided a lot of extra information. I'd be willing to pay for it if the price was reasonable. But I haven't seen anything that works well for digital collections.

I think Collectorz software has provisions for digital content. At least they do for music. I paid for their PC software as it is most flexible and can be customized to fit my needs. I get their newsletter about updates and am pretty sure I read something about an update that now includes inventorying digital content. I haven't investigated it yet as I am still entering our physical media into the program.

I also liked the computer version better than web version as it can be managed w/o needing to be on internet. It can also sync to their smartphone app so I can see the collection when not at home.
Old 08-13-20, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

I use DVDProfiler. Just create custom Media: Movies Anywhere; iTunes; Vudu; Fandango, Google Play, Amazon. I left Ultraviolet since they still appear on Vudu & Fandango. I also created specific tags for each one and I created banners, and downloaded icons to use also.

Sometimes there might only be 1 UPC for a movie, so you have to create a clone. Or there might not be a blu-ray, so I'll use the DVD profile. Or you can just edit the physical disc if you already own it. I usually clone it. With the custom banner I can tell immediately what service I have it on without changing view to see the tag.
Old 08-13-20, 10:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I used an extension called Vudu Catalog to make a list of my Vudu library, just in case I need it when there's a migration or something, but generally I don't keep track of things - it's easy enough to search or filter to find a movie I'm looking for on vudu (I think there was one time I was looking for a movie that was no longer on sale, so you couldn't search for it, and was in the wrong genre (or at least wasn't one that I would have chosen), so that made it difficult to find when filtering). For the movies I've got on amazon only, while a lot of them aren't searchable normally (cause they're no longer on sale), I can search my digital orders or just browse my library (which does take a while to go through, so I'll usually put some other other Amazon-only movies that I spot and think I might be interested into my watchlist, so it's easy to find them later.

I really should keep track of the movies I watch - I did bother to keep a list of movies I watched what I had a subscription to warner archive instant, although I never check with it, and so I have watched a movie or two I've seen before and only realize it part way through.

(it could also help when I'm trying to think of a movie I've watched, but can't remember the name).

Last edited by Defiant; 08-13-20 at 10:36 PM.