Collider Video cancels all daily and weekly shows

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 01-02-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

https://collider.com/collider-video-changes/

Our video production side has been putting out terrific content for years, but as we begin 2020, that video content will be moving into an exciting new direction. Today, our video production will be refocused towards expanding high-quality, scripted, unscripted and celebrity-driven content. This means more emphasis on popular series like Comic Book Shopping and The Deepfake Saga, but we also have to say goodbye to some beloved series. We will be ceasing production on Movie Talk, Collider Live, Jedi Council, and Heroes, and we cannot begin to express the depth of our gratitude to our loyal fans and to those who worked tirelessly on these productions.

We’re incredibly excited about the future of our video content, and we can’t wait to share our next chapter with you.

Old 01-02-20, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Collider Video cancels all daily and weekly shows

Dang I guess Kristian Harloff leaving a while back must have hurt them. I believe he left start of November and is doing his own thing now along with Mark Ellis and some others (Schmoedown Entertainment Network).
Old 01-02-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

YouTube is tough for producing live daily shows. It's all about views and I guess those shows didn't have enough views for the overhead they had.

It's too bad, Collider Movie Talk was a pretty decent daily movie news show.
Old 01-02-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, despite the turnover I still tried to catch Jedi Council and some of the others. I can't imagine entertainment journalism is that fun of a gig nowadays...
Old 01-02-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm checking out Roxy Striar's live stream, she replaced Harloff on Collider Live. She's pretty bummed, but she's staying optimistic. Obviously her being on air, she can't talk shit about her losing her job. It would affect her ability to get other work. It's a small town in LA for video production and on air jobs.
Old 01-02-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how much if any heads up they had? Being blindsided by a company being gutted is a terrible experience.
Old 01-02-20, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I'm checking out Roxy Striar's live stream, she replaced Harloff on Collider Live. She's pretty bummed, but she's staying optimistic. Obviously her being on air, she can't talk shit about her losing her job. It would affect her ability to get other work. It's a small town in LA for video production and on air jobs.
Wondering if she’ll go to work with Harloff and company.
Old 01-02-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Wondering if she’ll go to work with Harloff and company.
She appears on multiple platforms, but Collider Live was her main daily gig. She said she talks to Kristian all the time and won’t rule out appearing on his channel at some point.
Old 01-02-20, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
She appears on multiple platforms, but Collider Live was her main daily gig. She said she talks to Kristian all the time and won’t rule out appearing on his channel at some point.
I think she still does Screen Junkies too. I kind of dropped off watching them after they were acquired by Fandom.
Old 01-02-20, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I wonder how much if any heads up they had? Being blindsided by a company being gutted is a terrible experience.
According to Roxy, she found out this morning at work that she no longer had a job. That’s pretty shitty.

plus, she’s freelance like many of the staff there, so her last show last week was her last check.
Old 01-02-20, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, had no idea they had original programming.
Old 01-02-20, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Apparently John Rocha got laid off and he was staff there and one of their main on camera talent.
Old 01-02-20, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if this has been brewing up for a while behind the scenes. It seems rather odd to me that Kristian left not long ago and then Collider is basically done a couple months later. It almost feels like he knew something was going to go down and got out beforehand. I know he also had some issues there (he had his blowup last year over not being invited to Galaxy's Edge) but it now feels like there may have been more going on.
Old 01-03-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Roxy is already on SEN today. I figured Harloff would help her out.
Old 01-04-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So some fuck head named Jack Hind, who is apparently the #2 at Collider, today smugly dissed all the shows that got cancelled on Twitter. Oh, that comment did not go well on social media. He deleted the Tweets and tried to backtrack his comments, but he made himself look like a douche.

And he did it without any provocation.

Go to John Campea's YouTube channel and watch the first 28 minutes of his live stream today. He goes off on him. John is a movie pundit, but used to run Collider video's show content and created Movie Talk and Heroes. He was fucking pissed.
Old 01-04-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, Collider has lost about 11,000 subscribers in 1 day. Probably even more very soon after the comments from that prick.

BTW, I watched my 1st SEN in full (with Roxy and Reilly) It's a pretty wild show. Not your typical movie pundit discussion show.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-04-20 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Collider video is bleeding subscribers like crazy on YouTube. Last week before the announcement, they were at roughly 617,000 subscribers.

Last I checked today, they are at 594K. Granted a 1/2 million subscribers is still very good for a YouTube channel, but in 5 days they have lost 23,000 subscribers. That's a lot.

But, they are still going to make money with their sponsors and such, but they will never be looked at the same with their fanbase. Hell, they turned off the comments on the newest video they posted because of all the hate messages they keep getting.