DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Podcast Master Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/648359-podcast-master-thread.html)

IBJoel 08-09-19 10:01 AM

Podcast Master Thread

Hi everyone,

This is a place to suggest and discuss any and all podcasts (barring podcasts on politics, which can be be discussed in Other Talk)!

IBJoel 08-09-19 10:03 AM

Re: Podcast Master Thread

My go-tos are Blank Check with Griffin and David and We Hate Movies (we even interviewed them!).

E Unit 08-09-19 10:23 AM

I'm starting to think this must be a generational thing. Everyone around my age never listens to them, but all of our kids (15+) listen to some.

Groucho 08-09-19 10:54 AM

Just started listening to How Did This Get Played? (the video game spin off from How Did This Get Made?). Worth a listen if you like hearing people make fun of terrible video games.

majorjoe23 08-09-19 11:05 AM

I really like How Did This Get Made and Movie Sign with The Mads.

DJLinus 08-09-19 11:45 AM

Been an avid podcast listener since, oh, 2005. Shows have come and gone, some I've dropped due to loss of interest, but these are my current listens:

Comedy/interview:
Never Not Funny (my favorite and the only one I've ever paid money for, to get the bonus weekly episode)
The Dana Gould Hour
WTF
Feliz Navipod
Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
You Made It Weird
ID10T
Dumb People Town
Threedom

Movies:
Doug Loves Movies
Comedy Film Nerds

Music:
R U Talkin; R.E.M. RE: Me? (formerly U Talkin' U2 to Me?)
Bizarre Albums
Hit Parade

General Pop Culture:
Slate Culture Podcast
Pop Culture Happy Hour
The Relevant Daily Podcast

Business/Tech:
Prime(d)
KCRW's The Business
Household Name
If Then
Spectacular Failures

Spoiler:
Political, which shall not be discussed here: :)
The Gist (though it's not all politics)
Problematic Women
Slate Political Gabfest

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13591527)
I'm starting to think this must be a generational thing. Everyone around my age never listens to them, but all of our kids (15+) listen to some.

You could be right, but I'll be turning 44 in a couple of weeks and I love the format. I'm a music geek through and through, however podcasts dominate my daily audio entertainment these days. But that's just me.

Hokeyboy 08-09-19 12:14 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...326d8beb09.jpg

E Unit 08-09-19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus (Post 13591573)
You could be right, but I'll be turning 44 in a couple of weeks and I love the format. I'm a music geek through and through, however podcasts dominate my daily audio entertainment these days. But that's just me.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I was wondering if it was generational, and since we're a year apart, it sounds like all ages listen to some. I just don't understand it (in terms of appeal) and much more prefer music (especially when driving), but that's just me.

Dan 08-09-19 01:43 PM

I only have three that I'm listening to on a regular basis right now.

Mindscape - Sean Carroll hosts and regularly brings on guests. The most recent was Seth MacFarlane. Sean's solo episode (#53. Solo -- On Morality and Rationality) is fan-fucking-tastic, IMO.

Matinee Heroes - Alan Cerny and Craig Price talking about movies. They started with a focus on typical "hero" characters, but they've expanded beyond that and I think the show is better for it. They regularly bring friends/guests on, and I like their "recasting" sections. The recent Fight Club episode is great; a very honest look at the film.

Science vs. Fiction - Scott Weinberg and Steven DeGennaro. They compare two movies that are similar in title, or theme or what have you. I'm really enjoying it so far, even though they're only four or five episodes in.

I'm hoping to get into more that aren't movie related, for sure. Looking forward to what others suggest in this thread.

Trevor 08-09-19 07:09 PM

Movie Sign with the Mads
Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff, from MST3K fame, discuss movies

Eleven O’Clock Comics
Three guys talking comics. New stuff and old, industry guests occasionally, but the strength of the show is the palpable love these three friends have for the hobby and each other. Weekly for over 600 episodes.

Shannon Nutt 08-14-19 06:37 AM

Here's my regular listens:

Hollywood Babble-On (Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman talk the entertainment world in front of a live audience)
Fatman Beyond (Kevin Smith and Marc Bernardin talk the entertainment world from the Scum & Villainy Cantina)
Tell Em Steve Dave (Podcast with "Comic Book Men" Walt Flannigan and Brian Johnson, and "Impractical Jokers" Brian Quinn)
Rebel Force Radio (a Star Wars podcast)
Battlestar Galacticast (Tricia Helfer and Marc Bernardin recap each episode of the BG reboot - currently on Season 2)
Penn's Sunday School (Penn Jillette's podcast)

whotony 08-19-19 05:20 PM

I don’t think HDTG Played is actually connected to HDTG Made in the typical sense of what a spin off is.
Is anyone on that podcast connected to Made other then the similar name?

Anyway.
The Best Movies Never Made is pretty interesting.
They talk about relatively infamous movie scripts of didn’t quite make it to screen.

Confronting: O.J. Simpson with Kim Goldman
Kim talks about the murders with her father and friends and interviews some of the people who where witness to some things that happened before and after the murder

The Flop House
Might be my favorite bad movie podcast.

Unspooled
Paul Scheer with Amy Nicholson talk about the movies on the AFI 100 list and discuss whether or not they belong there.

We Hate Movies
A decent bad movie podcast

The ROn Burgundy Podcast
Ron Burgundy talking about just about whatever happens to be on his mind while recording the podcast.
Tends to be pretty random and it’s understandable that it may become tiring after a few eps.

IBJoel 09-19-19 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13595260)
We Hate Movies
A decent bad movie podcast

I have to say far more than "decent" in my book.

whotony 09-19-19 04:04 PM

Yeah it took me a few eps to get their shtick but I love it now.

Giantrobo 11-01-19 07:31 PM

For those watching Watchmen on HBO

The Official Watchmen Podcast is coming. Join @clmazin of HBO's Chernobyl and Damon Lindelof as they go deep on Watchmen HBO. The first episode debuts this Sunday: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1485052917

Abob Teff 11-10-19 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 13591516)
My go-tos are Blank Check with Griffin and David ...

I’ve tried this one ... the episodes run way too long ... and that is odd for me to say as I like longer podcasts/movies. I got through their Phantom Podcast and was really into it, but for some reason it went stale real fast for me. Like it in small doses.

DJLinus 01-26-20 01:24 PM

Yesterday I listened to the finale of In Myers We Trust, a podcast in which two guys work their way through the Halloween franchise, film by film. (I'll probably go back and start their previous podcast - In Vorhees We Trust - even though I don't have quite as much affection for the Friday the 13th movies.They're funny, which helps.) I'm also a big fan of the U2/REM podcast I listed in my first post, which does the same for those bands' catalogs. There are also a couple of Weezer podcasts I check out occasionally.

Are you into any podcasts that work their ways one by one through a complete film series, TV show, literary saga, or band's output? (Here I wouldn't count the official ones for series like, say, Better Call Saul or Watchmen. I'm more curious about ones produced by outsiders.)

lwhy? 01-28-20 01:52 PM

I'm subscribed to and regularly listen to:
Reply All
Every Little Thing
Science Vs
ESPN Fantasy Focus Football Podcast
Cinephile with Adnan Virk
The Way I Heard It with Mike Rowe
You Killed It The Challenge Podcast

pelenor 02-13-20 05:32 PM

My go to's:

The Morning Stream- a daily entertainment show that is very entertaining.
Film Sack- made by the same people behind the Morning Stream that breakdown and discuss, often with hilarity, movies that are on streaming services.
Coverville- a weekly show that plays covers according to a theme: an artists birthday, top 20 of a certain year, etc.

Hulkabrgr 02-13-20 07:52 PM

I am a fan of the rewatchables

Trevor 02-13-20 09:10 PM

Wasn’t looking to add anything new to my podcast rotation, and have never been a huge fan of Conan O’Brien, but tried his podcast and lol more than anything else I watch/listen/read lately.

Cellar Door 11-07-21 06:51 PM

I've just started listening to a great podcast about movies, called "The Movies That Made Me." (No connection to the Netflix show with a similar title) It's hosted by screenwriter Josh Olson (A History of Violence) and director Joe Dante. They have a guest each episode who is in the business--actors, directors, writers, critics--and their guest comes prepared with a list of movies to talk about. They don't talk about the guest's own movies/work, but about the movies that were influential to them. Olson and especially Dante are very knowledgeable about a wide variety of different types of films and are not film snobs at all. They are just as happy--if not happier--talking about B-movies as they are more high-brow stuff (Dante, of course, is best known for genre films like The Howling and Gremlins). Olson takes on the bulk of the back-and-forth discussion with the guest, while Dante just chimes in from time to time with interesting behind-the-scenes information about certain movies or people.

The conversations are lively and fun, but blissfully not overly 'jokey' like some other movie podcasts. You really get a sense of Olson's and Dante's love of the history of Hollywood and their appreciation of the people who pour their hearts into making movies.

I've listened to 10 episodes so far and I've got a growing list of movies to watch based on their discussions.

whotony 11-07-21 07:50 PM

An update to my list.
Stopped listening to Unspooled.
I really like Paul scheer but can’t do his partner on that podcast.
I did the entire AfI top 100 but after that they did a series of different subjects which are fine but I can’t understand her. She speaks much too fast and too much just comes out mumbled and I just get too frustrated.

I have a similar issue with Blank Check.
The shows are very long which generally isn’t a problem but they often take too long to tell you the name if the guest and the actual movie that is the subject of the show.

Often they get a little too inside baseball when they mention other movies and movie people without actually saying the name of the movie or person. They go off on long tangents.

I still listen. They are finishing up a long John
Carpenter series now.

Also listening to
The Cine-Files
They do a mostly serious deep dive into movies that are considered important and will occasionally go three shows for one movie.

Galaxy Brains
Mystery Science Theater 3000's Jonah Ray and his pal, comedian and writer Dave Schilling, explore the outer reaches of the zeitgeist, analyzing the movies and TV shows that you can't stop obsessing over.

Retro Cinema
A couple of people from Australia talking about 80’s movies.

The Rewatchables
a film podcast from the
Ringer Podcast Network, features The
Ringer's Bill Simmons and a roundtable of
people from the Ringer universe discussing
movies they can't seem to stop watching.

The Test of Time
Are the classic movies of our childhood really
as great as we remember them? Hosts Alan
Noah and James Brief take a fresh look at our
favorite films to see if they have stood The
Test of Time.

teameck 11-08-21 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 14008753)
An update to my list.

The Rewatchables
a film podcast from the
Ringer Podcast Network, features The
Ringer's Bill Simmons and a roundtable of
people from the Ringer universe discussing
movies they can't seem to stop watching.

I second that recommendation.
Rewatchables is about a perfect (although brief) a rundown of a movie as there gets.
I even listen to the episodes of movies I haven't seen-- and the few I don't really care to see-- just because of the passion and humor of the podcast.

Dan 11-08-21 08:20 PM

Household Faces is really good. It's a character actor (John Ross Bowie) doing interviews of other character actors.
The Spencer Garrett episode is great, I wouldn't say any of the episodes are duds.

Someone Else's Movie is another decent show. The host brings on people from the industry to talk about a movie made by someone else. Sarah Polley talking about The Thin Red Line was an excellent one.
Coincidentally, the episode where John Ross Bowie talks about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, is also quite good, and it's what led me to listen to his show.
​​​​​
and I'll reiterate that Mindscape is a damn good show. Still on my regular rotation.