DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   UV shutdown new or unresolved issues (aka Things lost in the Fire) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/648255-uv-shutdown-new-unresolved-issues-aka-things-lost-fire.html)

b2net 07-29-19 12:05 PM

UV shutdown new or unresolved issues (aka Things lost in the Fire)

With UV shutting down in 2 days (July 31, 2019), I thought we should have a thread about issues that went unresolved or new issues that crop up with the demise of UV.

Of note is that I was able to contact studios for replacement codes for many issues that have occurred or old unresolved issues. After their support and gracious replacement codes, here are my unresolved issues at this time. It could have been a lot worse and I hope it doesn't get worse after shutdown.
  • Tomb Raider 2018 UHD at VUDU and UV yet passes to FandangoNOW as SD
    • Reached out to UV, FandangoNOW, and WB (it is MGM via WB)
    • UV claims it is FN issue
    • FN states not their issue
    • WB stated looking into it about a month ago and have not heard back since
  • Hiding Out purchased HD at VUDU. VUDU passed SD to UV while FandangoNOW is not UV
    • VUDU claims studio will only allow them to pass SD to UV
    • Reached out to Lionsgate and have heard nothing back yet
  • Batman Animated Series has 4 episodes that do not show up in FN
    • (V3,Ep29 "Batgirl Returns") redeems as if it is from another series (Batman Super Villains Ep3) in UV
    • V1 Ep 15 (Cat and the Claw Part 1), 16 (Cat and the Claw Part 2), and 23 (Vendetta) are in UV yet not owned at FN
      • May be same issue as V3-29 that the licenses are tied to other collections.
    • UV claims it is FN issue
    • FN claims it is not their issue
    • VUDU claims they are sending right ALIDs
    • WB has been offering help yet has not solved the issue yet
  • Incorrect refund requests sent from UV to VUDU resulting in movies being removed from MA
    • UV reduced our licenses to single licenses which triggered refund requests to be sent for the duplicates or UV refreshed the licenses from providers other than VUDU
    • While still owned in UV, VUDU, FN, etc this passed refund requests to MA
    • MA says they can only react to the refund requests and cannot re-insert the movies
    • UV says it isn't their issue as they have no responsibility for MA
    • MA tells me that VUDU told them they are working on it
    • yet VUDU verbally told me it was not their issue as the licenses originated outside VUDU
    • I reached out to the studios for replacement codes
    • 3 of the 4 titles could not get replacement codes provided as they could not generate codes for the titles
      • Green Lantern 2011 Theatrical (WB)
      • Superman/Batman Apocalypse (WB)
      • Midnight in Paris (Sony)
    • 1 of the 4 titles Sony would not provide a replacement as they had already provided many codes via a "one-time" courtesy
      • Spider-man: Homecoming (Sony)
All other previously open issues have either been resolved.

For example:
  • I had titles that were UHD in UV yet HD in VUDU. Sony sent an email (which I didn't have to request) with an MA code that provided UHD MA licenses for all my UHD Sony titles (Passengers, Ghostbusters 2016 Theatrical, Ghostbusters 2016 Extended).
  • The Lorax 2012 was Universal and I reached out to them and they sent a UHD MA code. The Lorax 1972 was HD at UV yet SD at VUDU so VUDU sent SD to MA. WB provided an HD code for MA.
Keep in mind that in order to get most of the help I received, I had to take pictures of the discs and the original code slips.

Why So Blu? 07-29-19 12:42 PM

Re: UV shutdown new or unresolved issues (aka Things lost in the Fire)

The only unresolved issue I've had was the de-linking of me and a friend's account. I lost access to his films and he lost access to my films.

b2net 07-29-19 12:44 PM

There are also Rumors floating around such as
  • Disc / Mobile to Digital
    • Some titles will no longer work
    • Won't work at all
  • Codes
    • Some tiltes will no longer work
    • No more multiple redeem
  • UV shutdown will trigger multiple refund requests etc which will pass through VUDU and remove all titles from MA that were procured somewhere other than VUDU (Target Ticket, CinemaNOW, Flixster, WB, Paramount movies, Sony Pictures Store, Sony Ultra, Kaleidescope, etc)
  • All UV titles will become "owned" at FandangoNow as if procured from FN
    • Some titles not offered from FN may not have licenses post UV which may be lost
    • FN may become conduit to MA after UV closes so titles flowing into FN will pass to MA instead of just titles procured from FN
  • FandangoNow is taking over Flixster's digital system
    • This could help or hinder what WB has in place with their Flixster/WB All Access system
  • Lionsgate will join MA
  • Paramount will join MA
  • MGM who only had UV via WB or Fox will join MA
  • More and more studios will join MA

Let's hope for the most positive outcome for all our Digital Libraries.

Meathead 07-29-19 12:53 PM

I'm hoping, since I was late to the digital redeem party, that I won't run into issues. All my titles were either redeemed or purchased on iTunes/MA/VUDU with the exception of the Anchorman titles. Those I redeemed on UV. However Anchorman 2 was the rated cut and I purchased the bundle on VUDU that included them all. Even if they pull the UV redeemed ones, I still have the purchased bundle. I just checked my title counts on the various services against my database and they still match up.

TGM 07-29-19 04:06 PM

I'm making note of my movie and tv series totals, and hoping for the best.

PhantomStranger 07-29-19 04:20 PM

I believe Paramount finally joins MA later this year. I'm not so sure about Lionsgate and other smaller studios. The big Hollywood studios view Paramount more or less as an equal given the studio's long history and pedigree. Not so much for Lionsgate and others.

funkyryno 07-29-19 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13585730)
The only unresolved issue I've had was the de-linking of me and a friend's account. I lost access to his films and he lost access to my films.

This hasn't happened to me, but I'm worried that it will happen after July 31. My friend and I have shared about 300 movies each.

E Unit 07-29-19 06:07 PM

There’s been issues since day 1. Not all of them will get resolved in the next few days.

However I did submit a ticket and got them to send me my entire catalog of UV titles in my locker.

b2net 07-29-19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13585877)
However I did submit a ticket and got them to send me my entire catalog of UV titles in my locker.

What did you mean by this?

E Unit 07-29-19 08:02 PM

Means I emailed support at myuv.com and asked them for a file of all of my UV titles I redeemed. Came in a .tsv file. Sorry, I assumed people called it the “UV locker”, which is how they phrase it.

IDrinkMolson 07-29-19 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 13585889)
What did you mean by this?

Yeah, go to myuv and log in, then use the Contact Us at the bottom of the page. I chose "other" and request a report of all of your titles to be sent to you.
Once they reply, it's a link to download the file.

b2net 07-30-19 02:51 AM

Doing it immediately. Thanks.

PhantomStranger 07-30-19 03:51 PM

So many movies have dropped their UV status on VUDU over the last three days. So redeeming most Lionsgate codes now are mostly limited to VUDU. I still worry about VUDU's long-term viability as a provider.

b2net 07-30-19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13586318)
So many movies have dropped their UV status on VUDU over the last three days. So redeeming most Lionsgate codes are now are mostly limited to VUDU. I still worry about VUDU's long-term viability as a provider.

Even some titles that have UV logos on them (hover and at bottom of page) on VUDU don't actually redeem UV. So it isn't just those that have logos removed.

I agree on worrying about VUDU's long term viability. Especially as I have many titles exclusive in their system that likely will never be MA.

OldBoy 07-30-19 06:59 PM

You know what, with all I have, I don’t even know what I have and if anything is missing I’ll probably never know or can get it by several means, I’m sure...

b2net 08-01-19 07:25 AM

There may be hope for those of us caught in the UV reduction in duplicate licenses issue.

When looking at my UV collection on FN, the top of page post updated to state within the month all UV titles will be owned on FN.

https://i.postimg.cc/WbPVkjgY/Screen...1-082223-2.png

I wondered if that will trigger a port into MA.

As the UV site is still up at this time I was reviewing the FAQ again and noticed a reference to MA.

When I expanded the topic it states that once titles are considered purchased at VUDU or FN, they may flow into MA.

https://i.postimg.cc/Pqz0Wk4T/Screen...801-080321.png

So there is hope the titles that were incorrectly removed from MA may have a way back to MA.

b2net 08-02-19 10:01 PM

Wouldn't you know it. Now that UV is shutdown all of a sudden VUDU is interested in my ticket with VUDU about the MA issue with the erroneous refunds sent from VUDU to MA. And now actually stated they cannot help now since there is "no way" to see my UV content. So I sent them the file UV sent me listing all my titles, ALIDs, where redeemed, etc. To which they asked what I expected then to do with the material. Ugh. I've only been constantly requesting help and answering every question or bizarre statement since it first happened in April.

I simply wish the issue gets fixed. I desperately tried to get help all the way from April till UV closed with very little response. And now I get multiple responses basically stating it's too late.

TGM 08-03-19 09:16 AM

that's bullshit

DJariya 08-03-19 01:05 PM

Just curious. How many titles are you actually missing? And on what services? Not quite clear on what your issues are here. Is it lost titles or titles not transferring properly? Seems like you've put a lot of effort into this to make sure you don't lose anything or any money you put into these movies.

OldBoy 08-03-19 05:50 PM

I wouldn’t even know what I lost in fire. Could I know easily?

E Unit 08-03-19 07:55 PM

Not in the least, unless you kept track of every movie you bought or redeemed then checked those on a regular basis. And I don’t know of a single person who does that. Such is the digital life when it comes to stuff like this.

OldBoy 08-03-19 08:03 PM

C’est La Vie. I’m sure I’ll live... to never come close to watching all in my digital collection.

TGM 08-03-19 08:22 PM

well is your title count the same now as it was before? if so, you lost nothing.

E Unit 08-03-19 08:45 PM

I'm guessing not many even checked that, the count before and after.

PhantomStranger 08-03-19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 13588063)
Wouldn't you know it. Now that UV is shutdown all of a sudden VUDU is interested in my ticket with VUDU about the MA issue with the erroneous refunds sent from VUDU to MA. And now actually stated they cannot help now since there is "no way" to see my UV content. So I sent them the file UV sent me listing all my titles, ALIDs, where redeemed, etc. To which they asked what I expected then to do with the material. Ugh. I've only been constantly requesting help and answering every question or bizarre statement since it first happened in April.

I simply wish the issue gets fixed. I desperately tried to get help all the way from April till UV closed with very little response. And now I get multiple responses basically stating it's too late.

VUDU's customer service isn't helpful with solving almost any issue. It's why I was crushed when Flixster went down - they had far better and more responsive customer service. If I didn't know better, I'd say VUDU gives incentives to its reps to ignore customers.