DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Do you think all these niche streaming services will die out? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/648101-do-you-think-all-these-niche-streaming-services-will-die-out.html)

OldBoy 07-10-19 08:58 PM

Do you think all these niche streaming services will die out?

I think that’s what I mean. I mean we have them popping up left and right. Streaming pay services with only their properties. I just keep thinking about the consistent debt of Netflix. I know it’s their original programs and these other smaller services are basically just streaming their own stuff with some, like DC doing original.

But, it just seems like a gluttony and damn overkill. Can’t help think if they’ll just buckle and sell rights back to the big 3.

What do you think?

DJariya 07-10-19 09:16 PM

Re: Do you think all these niche streaming services will die out?

Let's see what's coming up:

HBO Max - No chance

NBC Universal - No chance

Disney Plus - No way in hell

Super niche stuff that's out now:

DC Universe - who knows. Many are predicting doom on this one and it hasn't even been around 1 year yet.

Sundance Now - I don't know about this one. It's super niche with the art house Indie movies and foreign shows.

Shudder - This isn't expensive and AMC is behind it and it's horror, so I think it will be fine.

VRV - Basically a hub for a bunch of niche services. I don't know about this one.

Criterion Channel - I think this will survive. Criterion lovers have a big fanbase.

This is all I can think of at the moment. I think there's even more super super niche ones like Scream Box, Hallmark, Hi-Yah, Acorn, Up, Urban Movie Channel, Con TV, Lifetime.

As long as it isn't super niche and has a big studio and financing behind it, it will probably be fine. Price also plays a big factor as well.

I don't think all of the Live TV streaming services will survive. Like Fubo, Philo, Sling, DirecTV Now and such. 1 or 2 of those will go under IMO.

I know there's simply too much and you have to know what you realistically have time to watch in order to make the most of your money.

OldBoy 07-10-19 10:04 PM

I don’t understand, are you agreeing with me or being sarcastic? :lol:

milo bloom 07-10-19 10:29 PM

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

When it was just Netflix and Hulu it was okay. But putting the new Trek on an exclusive service? See my comment above.

Shannon Nutt 07-11-19 06:46 AM

Competition is good...it should keep the prices down (well, reasonably down) - at least more than most cable companies, who almost always have a monopoly in the areas they provide service.

TomOpus 07-11-19 07:12 AM

No, they won't ALL die out. Some will carry on. It's basically competition of the fittest.

Sonny Corinthos 07-11-19 09:21 AM

I think the market will take care of itself. There's no way all of the streaming services can survive, but the main ones will still be standing when most of these niche services start falling by the wayside.

DJariya 07-11-19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13576661)
I don’t understand, are you agreeing with me or being sarcastic? :lol:

No I wasn't being sarcastic. Just saying the 3 upcoming services Disney, HBO Max, and NBC Universal have a huge backing behind it with a huge amount of catalog and planned new releases. They will almost certainly be successful, especially Disney.

and yes as Shannon said, competition is good. It keeps prices down and gives people options. Not everyone likes the same thing, so there are providers that have things for more wider audiences and stuff for more pickier niche audiences.

Not everyone loves big Hollywood movies and not everyone likes foreign or art house content. So despite overwhelming options, it's good even though so many bitch and complain.

If we only had Netflix, Hulu and Prime and nothing else, the content providers could easily raise the rates for their shows and prices would continue to rise. Netflix had to raise their prices because they had to be in the business of creating their own shows and movies, which is super expensive, otherwise they wouldn't survive when licensing deals expired.

PhantomStranger 07-12-19 12:11 AM

I think you'll eventually see some of the big players gobble up the smaller services for possible additions to their own portfolio. So not all the niche services will continue as independent operators.

Hollywood's business model going forward is wedded to streaming and digital distribution, which is what they've planned now for over a decade. This will become more obvious as traditional cable is killed off over the next decade and movie theater attendance continues to wane.

Look for Blu-rays to become highly collectible in the 2030s when everyone realizes the limitations of this business model.

tonyc3742 07-12-19 06:55 AM

Yep. Some will die out, others will be absorbed by other services, some will evolve and stay big.
I think there's over 100 streaming services in the US now. The market will definitely shake out. I don't think we'll end up with Big 3, there's enough fanbase that some of the more niche ones will survive - if the company doesn't solely focus on comparing their revenue/profit to the big ones.

I just read an editorial "Should you still buy a dvd/bluray player" and the answer was Yes for all the reasons we probably already know.

If you had anything beyond basic cable, there was always too much to watch - but now that people can pick and choose services that are more in line with their tastes, we're finding there's too much good stuff to watch.

Shannon Nutt 07-12-19 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13577183)
I think you'll eventually see some of the big players gobble up the smaller services for possible additions to their own portfolio. So not all the niche services will continue as independent operators.

Yeah, this is already happening. It's not hard to foresee a future where there are a "big three" (or four or maybe even five, but no more) streaming services, much like there were three "big" networks (plus PBS) growing up in the 60s and 70s. Or much like there are several big cable companies now that basically provide service for most of the country. When that happens, prices are bound to skyrocket again...and we'll likely be paying a lot more for the services. When cable first hit most homes, I remember it being like $15 to $20 a month - granted, a lot less channels, but not THAT many less than you get now, where most bills well over $100 and closer to $200 in many cases.

AaronHernandez 07-15-19 06:18 PM

A lot of niche one's Owned by Distribution companies will continue to exist as long as they break even or only have fractional loss as a way to get the best possible fee's for their content from Amazon and Netflix.

beatboks1 07-16-19 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13576646)
Let's see what's coming up:

HBO Max - No chance

Disney Plus - No way in hell

realistically I dont think you can refer to either as niche. Both are going to have more content than Neflix, Amazon and Hulu out of the gate.

Disney will have Disney, Marvel, 21st cent Fox. Pixar, Star wars, ABC, FX, A&E and thats assuming they dont include ESPN for sports.

HBO max will have HBO, Turner, CNN, Cartoon Netwrok, Adult swim, Hanna Barnera, looney Toons, DC, plus Warner Studios and thats assuming they dont include sport from NBA, and Bleacher report.

these guys will in short order replace the current heavywieghts in the field as the major players.