Ultraviolet shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Ultraviolet shutting down

Effective July 31st:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...wn-1203123898/

Guess that means Paramount and Lionsgate will finally have to join Movies Anywhere. Hope none of my stuff gets crippled because of this; I 'bought' a couple cheap movies from Vudu that only have 2-channel sound on their service but have 5.1 on FandangoNow. Movies Anywhere's own app seems to get the sound format and aspect ratio right every time.
Old 01-31-19, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Ultraviolet shutting down

Will Ultraviolet codes still work on services like Vudu? Or do we have "x" number of days to cash those in? I have a lot of unopened titles with digital codes.
Old 01-31-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

My concerns are

loss of TV episodes or Movies...

loss of correct aspect ratio...

loss of correct sound format...

loss of special features...

loss of quality as in inferior renders...

loss of resolution as in I have higher resolution versions in UV than available at providers...

Target Ticket gone and content transferred to CinemaNOW....

CinemaNOW closed down and everything not somewhere else was lost including account credit...

Flixster shut down US operations and lost some versions that we're higher resolution or quality that are not on VUDU...

Paramount websitew redeems some titles in a higher resolution or with additional bonus footage not available on VUDU...

Sony Pictures Store (closing 1/31) was only place to redeem Sony 4K on some titles, many of which VUDU does not have in 4K...

So what about codes that only redeem higher resolution elsewhere than VUDU or only work elsewhere than VUDU post 7/31. This has the potential to invalidate many codes yet redeemed....

and so on and so on. Makes digital ownership scary at best right now.

Last edited by b2net; 01-31-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-31-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yep, digital ownership seems shaky with all the shut downs. I only use Vudu so we'll see how long that lasts.

That said, this wasn't unexpected considering how much Movies Anywhere has taken over.
Old 01-31-19, 08:09 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Effective July 31st:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...wn-1203123898/

Guess that means Paramount and Lionsgate will finally have to join Movies Anywhere. Hope none of my stuff gets crippled because of this; I 'bought' a couple cheap movies from Vudu that only have 2-channel sound on their service but have 5.1 on FandangoNow. Movies Anywhere's own app seems to get the sound format and aspect ratio right every time.
Why do they have to? MGM never joined UV. They can all opt to not join MA.

Old 01-31-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

From UV:

We are writing to inform you that the UltraViolet service is planning to shut down on July 31, 2019. You are receiving this message because you signed up for an UltraViolet Library or for a service that created an UltraViolet Library for you.

What does this mean for you?
  • Between January 31 and July 31, 2019
    • You can continue to access your UltraViolet movies and TV shows through the retailer(s) linked to your UltraViolet Library.
    • You can also continue to purchase new movies and TV shows and redeem digital codes by following the redemption instructions. Depending on the retailer, these new purchases and redemptions may or may not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
    • Linking your UltraViolet Library to additional retailers can maximize your access to your Library and help avoid potential disruption.
  • After the shutdown date
    • Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
    • You can continue to make online purchases and redeem codes, but these may only be available through that retailer, and will not be added to your UltraViolet Library.
What should you do now?
  • As soon as possible, login at myuv.com and choose Retailer Services to verify the retailers linked to your UltraViolet Library. If your Library is not currently linked to a retailer or if you would like to link to additional participating retailers, select one or more retailers to link to your UltraViolet Library.
  • Don't unlink or close your UltraViolet Library, as UltraViolet and retailers will be working together to maximize your continued access to movies and TV shows.
Look for further communications from UltraViolet and your retailers over the coming months, as some retailers may disconnect from UltraViolet before July 31.

Some details may be updated, so visit myuv.com/faq often for the most current information and answers to frequently asked questions.

Thank you for making UltraViolet part of how you enjoy digital entertainment. Please do not hesitate to contact customer support at [email protected] if you have additional questions.

Sincerely,

The UltraViolet Team
Old 01-31-19, 10:25 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i really hope this is not the sign of bad things to come...
Old 01-31-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Maybe I'll just stay on Physical Media then.
Old 01-31-19, 11:31 AM

Yep, it’s still easy as ever to watch my HD-DVDs, at least the ones that haven’t rotted.
Old 01-31-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Folks should have always gravitated towards VUDU, iTunes, and MA. Granted, with UV shutting down, the text clearly states that you will not lose access to movies if your library is linked to one of the previously mentioned vendors. So link that shit.
Old 01-31-19, 11:55 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

yeah, but what the future of Vudu has in store is questionable, no?
Old 01-31-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I wonder how this will affect folks who had their accounts shared via Vudu.

Last edited by funkyryno; 01-31-19 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
yeah, but what the future of Vudu has in store is questionable, no?
Why would it be? Unless Wal-Mart goes belly up then maybe. Do you see Wal-Mart going away anytime soon?
Old 01-31-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I wonder how this will affect folks who had their accounts shared via Vudu.

There was that glitch that unlinked many accounts 1-2 months ago. Mine became unlinked from a friend's, but all my own content is still there. I just lost access to his content. That may happen on a greater scale, but it's not the same since folks that are sharing didn't buy the titles on their friends/family accounts.
Old 01-31-19, 12:46 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Why would it be? Unless Wal-Mart goes belly up then maybe. Do you see Wal-Mart going away anytime soon?
Although it is unlikely, if Target and Best Buy can eliminate their streaming services, there is nothing to stop Wal-Mart, Apple, or Amazon from deciding to get out of that space too.
Old 01-31-19, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

My question is why don't these companies allow us to download the digital copies on our computers? I know the excuse is going to be piracy, but that's the shitty excuse for everything. We paid for these digital copies and we have 0 control over them.
Old 01-31-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I just went to the UV site and only had 171 UV titles of the 298 that I own on Vudu.

Only 1 of the titles appears to be dead. It was a 38 minute Batman documentary that used to work on CinemaNow before that site went belly up. That documentary from that I recall came from with some Batman animated movie I bought years ago. But other than that, it appears that everything on there is linked to retailers.

I did lose a digital title previously when Target Ticket went under. I had a digital copy of The Fault in our Stars and once that service ended, the title disappeared. So it's not impossible to lose titles should something happen.
Old 01-31-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I hope this means the studios who are not on Movies Anywhere are planning to switch to that service in the next few months. That should alleviate some anxiety about the change.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That may happen on a greater scale, but it's not the same since folks that are sharing didn't buy the titles on their friends/family accounts.
From what I understand, when a new UV title was purchased on a shared account, the original owner of the account was the person who gained ownership of the UV title, regardless of who actually bought it. ... Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Last edited by funkyryno; 01-31-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-31-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

All the money invested in UV collections now rests on the corporate whims of Walmart, VUDU's owner. This is why I haven't sold any of my Blu-rays or DVDs.

I knew Hollywood would deep-six UV once enough people got hooked on digital streaming and content. The sharing terms were far too generous for bigger studios like Disney to swallow in the long run.

Remember this when you put hard-earned money into Movies Anywhere content. The minute the studios see a more profitable solution, they will take it every single time with no thought as to the consumers.
Old 01-31-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I hope this means the studios who are not on Movies Anywhere are planning to switch to that service in the next few months. That should alleviate some anxiety about the change.

From what I understand, when a new UV title was purchased on a shared account, the original owner of the account was the person who gained ownership of the UV title, regardless of who actually bought it. ... Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.
I can't comment since I never bought films directly through UV. Any digital film I bought was through Amazon/VUDU/Fandango/iTunes. I don't buy films on MA. I also only redeem via VUDU and iTunes.
Old 01-31-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I like Bill Hunt's take on this whole digital vs. physical war:

Old 01-31-19, 03:57 PM

So what I’m not getting at this point is: are ALL the UV-only titles (basically Paramount, Lionsgate, and TV material) going to remain available for viewing on both Vudu and FandangoNow regardless of where I originally got them from? I have some titles I got free or cheap from Target Ticket too, but those went into my UV account and thus accessible through the other services. If it reverts back to just where you first obtained them from, then I’m screwed on those. Guess I should get to watching them soon.
Old 01-31-19, 04:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
So what I’m not getting at this point is: are ALL the UV-only titles (basically Paramount, Lionsgate, and TV material) going to remain available for viewing on both Vudu and FandangoNow regardless of where I originally got them from?

From what I understand, that's how it's supposed to work, although the "in the majority of cases" is a little troubling (unless they just to cover themselves if there's a glitch). Edit: Or maybe those cases where a particular movie was never available at one of the retailers?

Your UltraViolet Library will automatically close and, in the majority of cases, your movies and TV shows will remain accessible at previously-linked retailers.
(Also, I'll point out that there are the odd case of movies from studios that have joined MA that are still UV-only, eg: Passage to Marseille, The Old Dark House. Although I would imagine that those will eventually be added to MA)
Old 01-31-19, 05:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

According to this article, Vudu's VP said:

“Customers who use Vudu to watch, rent, or buy movies and TV shows will not be impacted by the discontinuation of the Ultraviolet platform. These customers will continue to be able to enjoy Vudu content as they have been and continue to access any and all movies and TV shows they have saved in their Vudu library, even after the shutdown of the Ultraviolet service.”
Old 01-31-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks fo the info Defiant. I've spent thousands over the last 4+ years building my VUDU library...didn't want to see it disappear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.