DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Apple TV+ -- News and Rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/646633-apple-tv-news-rumors.html)

DJariya 01-30-19 05:20 PM

Apple TV+ -- News and Rumors

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/29/1...y-netflix-hulu

Little is known about Apple’s standalone streaming service, aside from the mountain of original content that’s coming. But according to a new report from The Information, it could launch this spring.

The Information is reporting that Apple has told various studios and networks “whose offerings will be available through the service to be ready for launch by mid-April,” according to three sources. Some of those studios may include independent film powerhouse A24 and the Oprah Winfrey Network, which Apple has signed multiyear and picture deals with, according to previous reports. The streaming service is expected to launch “within several weeks of that date,” according to The Information. There’s still no information on how much Apple’s streaming service will cost subscribers.

If correct, April will be a busy month for streaming services. Disney is expected to show investors its standalone streaming service, Disney+, on April 11th, according to a report released ahead of the company’s Q4 investors call. Disney’s streaming platform won’t launch until later in the year, according to CEO Bob Iger, but the company is gearing up to tease what subscribers should expect. If both Apple and Disney launch their streaming platforms by the end of 2019, that means consumers will have access to a number of top-tier streaming platforms from major corporations, including streaming giants like Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.

The big question is what the content on Apple’s streaming service will look like. The company has inked deals with a number of studios and networks, and it appears to be betting on exclusive, prestige content. That’s similar to Disney’s plan, which will offer subscribers access to the company’s humongous library of films and television series, alongside new shows from some of its biggest franchises like the Marvel Cinematic Universeand Star Wars.

E Unit 01-30-19 06:27 PM

re: Apple TV+ -- News and Rumors -- To launch Mid 2019

I'm betting on Disney in this battle.

DJariya 01-30-19 06:36 PM

https://www.macworld.com/article/324...ase-dates.html

Here's a list of all the shows (both scripted and reality) that are either in development or greenlit to series for this Apple service.

The most notable is an untitled Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon drama and the reboot of Amazing Stories & Time Bandits. It's about 30 something projects.

E Unit 01-30-19 07:00 PM

Wow, some seem good, most seem to be not worth it. I get to save money by not having to buy an Apple TV.

TheBigDave 01-30-19 07:15 PM

If they want this to be successful, they'll need to have an iTunes app available on all streaming devices. They can't limit it to Apple TV (and high-end Samsung TVs). If they release an iTunes app for Roku and Amazon Fire, it might have a chance.

DJariya 02-13-19 04:41 PM

Report from Bloomberg: Will officially be announced March 25th: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...service-launch

Shannon Nutt 02-15-19 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13491842)
I'm betting on Disney in this battle.

Considering they own (or will soon) 20th Century Fox, plus Lucasfilm, Marvel, Pixar, ABC, and ESPN - yeah, they're a content monster. The only "big" question with Disney is will they be willing to go beyond "family friendly" content in their original programming - if not, Netflix should maintain their edge, as they haven't shied away from original, but adult-oriented material.

RichC2 02-15-19 12:11 PM

I'm actually surprised that Netflix still doesn't have content filtering options outside of Kid Mode.

Groucho 02-15-19 12:15 PM

Can't wait for all the threads for the various shows that are 99% complaints from people who aren't subscribed to the service.

DJariya 02-15-19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13501374)
Can't wait for all the threads for the various shows that are 99% complaints from people who aren't subscribed to the service.

Yeah For every 20 streaming shows that come out, maybe 1-2 gets any kind of interest here.

I anticipate the same lukewarm to meh interest in Apple shows.

DJariya 03-06-19 02:53 PM

Brie Larson to star in CIA drama for Apple. It was ordered to series: https://deadline.com/2019/03/brie-la...le-1202570603/

DJariya 03-12-19 02:58 PM

https://deadline.com/2019/03/apples-...ys-1202574243/

An Analyst predicts Apple's streaming service could hit 100M subscribers in about 5 years. really? I know many like the Apple ecosystem, but that's jumping the gun.

TheBigDave 03-24-19 10:28 AM

The big announcement is tomorrow. I really hope there's some new hardware. I want to upgrade my ATV3 to a 4K model. But I'm not paying $180-$200.

Something under $100 would be good. A $50 4K stick would be awesome.

DJariya 03-25-19 12:27 PM

If you have an Apple TV, the press conference is on right now Live to introduce what the streaming service is. But they just finished their presentation of Apple News Plus their new magazine subscription service.

RichC2 03-25-19 12:39 PM

Are they expecting the streaming service to be only for Apple products or more expansive like Apple Music?

I might give it a shot if it shows up on the Roku or Fire TV Stick.

DJariya 03-25-19 12:43 PM

The live stream can also be watched on Twitter.

The Apple TV feed is pretty bad right now.

fujishig 03-25-19 12:59 PM

thud.

So basically what roku or anything else does. You have to buy everything separately but it's conveniently in one app and it will collect all your data to better target content to you.

DJariya 03-25-19 01:02 PM

Yeah so far it's basically Amazon Channels and Roku Channels from what they're saying.

But they haven't talked about their originals yet.

fujishig 03-25-19 01:03 PM

I'm surprised amazon and roku have the apple TV app, considering it just duplicates what they have. Though does that mean I can finally watch itunes content on them?

RichC2 03-25-19 01:04 PM

If Apple is going to launch a streaming service that's subscription based, it'd have to have a far reach to be successful. So I'm not surprised they support Amazon and Roku, but I'm glad the option is there.

Plus Apple gets a kickback if you subscribe to a premium service inside of it.

DJariya 03-25-19 01:05 PM

The new Apple TV app will be on Smart TV's, Roku and Amazon.

Apparently the upgrade will happen this summer.

RichC2 03-25-19 01:09 PM

Christ, I just want info.

DJariya 03-25-19 01:09 PM

New they're talking about this new streaming service for original content.

DJariya 03-25-19 01:14 PM

New streaming service is called Apple TV +

Spielberg is a guest presenter.

Jen Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carrell talked about their new show on this service.

TheBigDave 03-25-19 01:24 PM

I'm just happy to finally get my iTunes movie/TV library on my Roku devices. That's awesome.