DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Apple TV+ -- News and Rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/646633-apple-tv-news-rumors.html)

funkyryno 09-11-19 12:38 PM

Re: Apple TV+ -- News and Rumors -- To launch Mid 2019

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13606078)
$4.99 is more than worth it just for these 3:

The Morning Show
See
For all Mankind

I agree. I could probably knock those all off in a month. Good way to spend $5.

DJariya 09-11-19 12:40 PM

From what I read, the Apple shows are likely being posted weekly with maybe a 2-3 episode initial drop. And there is a 1 month free trial.

fujishig 09-11-19 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 13606497)
I agree. I could probably knock those all off in a month. Good way to spend $5.

You have to wait though. But the hardest thing to me is going to be finding the time. I already have an enormous backlog of stuff, unless these are just incredible, I can't see paying 5 bucks even for one month to prioritize them over the hundreds of hours of content I haven't watched that I'm already subscribed to.

funkyryno 09-11-19 03:22 PM

I don't mind waiting till all episodes are available. I won't be facing the problem of running into spoilers like I would with traditional serialized TV shows such as GOT or the Walking Dead.

But I'm in the same boat as you, my backlog of shows to watch is pretty big. I'm not exactly yearning for more another service to pay for.

Hokeyboy 09-11-19 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13606465)
Oprah has a huge following. Hell, she has her own TV network. Obviously you and most here are not the target audience.

Her audience didn't follow her to Satellite Radio. The $50 million XM paid her was a boondoggle.

Hokeyboy 09-11-19 03:44 PM

Zero interest in anything Apple has to offer thus far. Of course I can't stomach Jennifer Anuston or Reese Witherspoon, and oh lookie here's a two hour documentary on Workplace Harassment from Oprah. Take my money. Please.

DJariya 10-03-19 06:11 PM

Bought a new iPad this week. So I'll be getting this for free for 1 year when it launches.

MR Round 10-04-19 03:29 AM

I called in to Apple to get Support on my Ipad because it was glitching, and they gave me a free subscription to the service for inconvenience. Was pretty nice of them to do.

fujishig 10-04-19 08:01 AM

I wonder if they will ever distinguish between paid subscribers and gifted subscribers when they eventually give out the numbers. I highly doubt it. They either need to like really gear up the service in this first year or give out another free year somehow or there's going to be a steep decline when the promos run out.

E Unit 10-22-19 01:35 PM

Okay, THIS show has my attention. I may subscribe when this hits - in probably 2-3 years.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/22/foundat...rris-lee-pace/

fujishig 10-28-19 11:57 AM

Reviews of the initial shows are coming out... and they are not kind.

I still can't believe they paid 300 million for two seasons of the Morning Show.

E Unit 10-28-19 12:06 PM

Yeah, I read a review of See. They gave it a B, but it sounds like another run-of-the-mill Netflix series.

mphtrilogy 10-28-19 12:38 PM

I watched all the trailers and don't think I'll be joining on this first go round...

b2net 10-28-19 02:24 PM

My wife & I watched the trailers and truly maybe 1 show might get our attention. For that maybe pay for a month and binge it. Likely will just skip it altogether.

Trevor 10-28-19 04:10 PM

The new issue of my free subscription to Variety including a promo code for 3 free months.

DJariya 10-28-19 04:14 PM

I have a year for free with the new iPad I just got. So, I'll gladly check some of these shows out over the next year.

Decker 10-28-19 04:18 PM

Disappointing that Morning Show is getting bad reviews. The cast is so amazing, I just assumed the show would be good. But if Sepinwall is saying it's a bore, it probably is.

Why So Blu? 10-28-19 04:38 PM

I'll watch them and make up my own mind. But there's a new TV OS update, I'm sure in prep of it debuting on Friday.

Hokeyboy 10-28-19 09:31 PM

What about Aniston and Witherspoon screams "amazing cast"?

DJariya 10-28-19 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13631474)
What about Aniston and Witherspoon screams "amazing cast"?

They’re probably considered B list at this point in their careers. Witherspoon does have Big Little Lies, which is critically acclaimed.

Decker 10-28-19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13631480)
They’re probably considered B list at this point in their careers. Witherspoon does have Big Little Lies, which is critically acclaimed.

I disagree. Both are A List stars and have starred in big movies and.given acclaimed Oscar or Golden Globe nominated lead performances in the past few years. You are right about Big Little Lies which was a HUGE hit for HBO and won Queen Reese her first Emmy (as producer). And Aniston hasn't done a TV program since whatever that ensemble comedy on NBC was back in the 90s.
​​Do I think they and Carrell are worth $5M/episode? Of course not. But to say that the lead cast of this TV show isn't eye catching and impressive is disingenuous. It was Apple swinging for the fences, coming up with a show that people would be so desperate to see that they would subscribe to a new service . Too bad it sounds like the script isn't worthy

Shannon Nutt 10-29-19 06:52 AM

Witherspoon is A-list. I would argue that Aniston is still B-list. Obviously both are household names.

Hokeyboy 10-29-19 08:18 AM

I don't think the braintrust behind Apple TV+ understood what made the streaming blockbusters so huge -- most of the big ones, the NAME ones, the watercooler shows, the ones that become pop culture sensations, they are mostly coming from fresh new talent with new storytelling perspectives and ideas.

Apple TV+ builds a service, and who do they lasso in? Older Hollywood talent who have been treading the waters of mediocrity for years, whose glory days are long past. Spielberg, Aniston, Witherspoon, Oprah, etc. That would have been really exciting 20 years ago. Now? Not so much. Who's next? David E. Kelley? Glen and Les Charles? The ghosts of Steven Bochco and Paul Junger Witt?

mphtrilogy 10-29-19 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13631605)
I don't think the braintrust behind Apple TV+ understood what made the streaming blockbusters so huge -- most of the big ones, the NAME ones, the watercooler shows, the ones that become pop culture sensations, they are mostly coming from fresh new talent with new storytelling perspectives and ideas.

Apple TV+ builds a service, and who do they lasso in? Older Hollywood talent who have been treading the waters of mediocrity for years, whose glory days are long past. Spielberg, Aniston, Witherspoon, Oprah, etc. That would have been really exciting 20 years ago. Now? Not so much. Who's next? David E. Kelley? Glen and Les Charles? The ghosts of Steven Bochco and Paul Junger Witt?

yep, I think you nailed it

fujishig 10-29-19 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13631579)
Witherspoon is A-list. I would argue that Aniston is still B-list. Obviously both are household names.

I'm not sure Witherspoon is A-list, as in her headlining a movie (or tv show) would bring in people. Obviously Big Little Lies did a ton to bring her back in the public eye. I guess she's A-list in the sense that if she or Aniston did a regular network show people would tune in, but as a headliner for a streaming service that has like four shows to start out with, I'm not sure either of them move the needle that much (outside of a Friends reunion or something), certainly not 15 million an episode/300 million for 2 seasons worth. I'm not sure how much Big Little Lies cost but I'm fairly sure it was a fraction of that.