Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Apple TV+ -- streaming service -- news, releases, etc.

Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Apple TV+ -- streaming service -- news, releases, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-23, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
re: Apple TV+ -- streaming service -- news, releases, etc.

Originally Posted by Decker
Yes, it's one game a week. Not at all worth what they're asking.
They have 2 games every Friday night and most of the time they are on at the same time.
Old 10-26-23, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 381 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Isn't MLS an extra sub though? Not sure about baseball.
MLS Season Pass is an independent subscription, though you get a small price break if you're also an Apple TV+ subscriber. The MLB games are included in the Apple TV+ subscription and are only available with that subscription.

I really appreciate that Apple TV+ isn't flooded with mountains of garbage content that you have to wade through like Netflix, Prime, etc are. What they have, spare as it may be, is almost all really good stuff. That said, they need more of that quality content to justify $10/month IMO. In particular, they need to license movies that they didn't produce, if at all possible.

Old 10-26-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
MLS Season Pass is an independent subscription, though you get a small price break if you're also an Apple TV+ subscriber. The MLB games are included in the Apple TV+ subscription and are only available with that subscription.

I really appreciate that Apple TV+ isn't flooded with mountains of garbage content that you have to wade through like Netflix, Prime, etc are. What they have, spare as it may be, is almost all really good stuff. That said, they need more of that quality content to justify $10/month IMO. In particular, they need to license movies that they didn't produce, if at all possible.
But that "garbage" content probably appeals to someone. Like most people probably skip over the Korean drama section on Netflix but my wife lives off of those. Like I said earlier, if you have just a few prestige shows that don't come out that often, it's way easier to subscribe, binge, and drop. In Apple's case I'm sure the One combined sub brings them some level of stickiness, though.
Old 11-01-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Just cancelled mine. Hardly ever use it and the price hike reminded me of that.
Old 11-02-23, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 706 Likes on 575 Posts

Ridiculous price increase - like 40%. I'll probably cancel (still haven't watched the new season of Foundation) then re-up when the new season of For All Mankind is complete (which I assume will go through January if it starts mid-Nov). Then cancel again. Don't care about MLS so sports there are a nothing for me.
Old 11-02-23, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Ridiculous price increase - like 40%. I'll probably cancel (still haven't watched the new season of Foundation) then re-up when the new season of For All Mankind is complete (which I assume will go through January if it starts mid-Nov). Then cancel again. Don't care about MLS so sports there are a nothing for me.
It basically doubled from a little over a year ago (Oct 2022)
Old 11-02-23, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 706 Likes on 575 Posts

It basically doubled from a little over a year ago (Oct 2022)
You're right. It was 4.99.

I think their content is really good, but I only watch about 5 or so shows on it. And if they spit out episodes one week at a time, it's easy to dump, renew, dump, renew, etc.

I'll finish up TMS next week, then dump out.
Old 11-04-23, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 631 Posts

Today I decided to take advantage of the 3 months free of Apple TV+ offered on my LG C2. After setting it up, I also set it up on both my Roku streamers. However, I don't see how to set up separate profiles for each connected device and/or user. Basically, I'd like to keep the watch histories separate, like I do with Netflix or Prime. Heck, even Disney+, Hulu, and Peacock allow me to make multiple profiles. How do I do this on Apple TV+?

EDIT: So after contacting customer service, it turns out the only way to do what I want is by activating Family Sharing and adding other Apple IDs to my group. However, this cannot be done on Apple TV+ or Apple's website. I can only do this on an iPhone, iPad, or MacOS. That is ridiculous and convoluted.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-04-23 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-05-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I can only do this on an iPhone, iPad, or MacOS. That is ridiculous and convoluted.
Yup, apparently that's the only way to do it. Maybe see if someone has a spare iPhone of iPad lying around not being used, and sign into it temporarily with your Apple ID in order to set up Family Sharing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088
Old 11-05-23, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Yup, apparently that's the only way to do it. Maybe see if someone has a spare iPhone of iPad lying around not being used, and sign into it temporarily with your Apple ID in order to set up Family Sharing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201088
I was actually wondering if I could do that without it being a whole other issue as well.
Old 11-06-23, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Today I decided to take advantage of the 3 months free of Apple TV+ offered on my LG C2. After setting it up, I also set it up on both my Roku streamers. However, I don't see how to set up separate profiles for each connected device and/or user. Basically, I'd like to keep the watch histories separate, like I do with Netflix or Prime. Heck, even Disney+, Hulu, and Peacock allow me to make multiple profiles. How do I do this on Apple TV+?

EDIT: So after contacting customer service, it turns out the only way to do what I want is by activating Family Sharing and adding other Apple IDs to my group. However, this cannot be done on Apple TV+ or Apple's website. I can only do this on an iPhone, iPad, or MacOS. That is ridiculous and convoluted.
You can add other apple ids to the group but I'm not sure how to switch them on apple tv, since it's usually tied to one account. I have the same problem with apple music, the whole reason I got a family sub is so that the kids can listen to their own music without bothering mine, but the tv is logged into my account and there's no prompt, so...
Old 11-06-23, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 712 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't know how Apple TV+ works on non Apple devices but the Apple TV streaming box allows you to switch between AppleIDs.

Apple TV+ was $49 until October last year when it went to $69 and then they raised it again this year to $99. So it's 2 years in a row with a price increase not $49 to $99 overnight.
Old 11-06-23, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Meathead
I don't know how Apple TV+ works on non Apple devices but the Apple TV streaming box allows you to switch between AppleIDs.

Apple TV+ was $49 until October last year when it went to $69 and then they raised it again this year to $99. So it's 2 years in a row with a price increase not $49 to $99 overnight.
Yes, it's two increases in a row but it still doubled in the span of a year and a couple weeks.

Oh, does the streaming box prompt you to switch between apple ids? I've never seen it before, is it hidden in settings or something?
Old 11-06-23, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, does the streaming box prompt you to switch between apple ids? I've never seen it before, is it hidden in settings or something?
No it's not hidden. You can access it from the home screen.

tvOS16:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/u...16.0/tvos/16.0

tvOS17:

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/s...17.0/tvos/17.0
Old 11-06-23, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh so it switches the profile of the entire setup, not just for one app at a time (like, say, Netflix would do since it's just an app).
Old 11-06-23, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh so it switches the profile of the entire setup, not just for one app at a time (like, say, Netflix would do since it's just an app).
Yes it changes the whole profile not just the Apple TV+ sign-in. Which makes sense with how tied in TV+ and Music are with the box.
Old 11-16-23, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

FireTV owners, get 3 month free trial for Apple TV+ (new and returning subscribers, offer ends Jan. 31):
Amazon Amazon

PS4/5 owners, get 3 month free trial for Apple TV+ (new and returning subscribers, offer ends Jan. 31):
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/de...tation-offers/

Last edited by TheBang; 12-04-23 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

10 part documentary series on the New England Patriots coming to Apple TV+ February 16

The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (11-18-23)
Old 11-20-23, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,232 Likes on 960 Posts

So I didn’t read through the thread and just got the email from Apple about the price of Apple TV+ increasing.

My wife and I used it for Ted Lasso and I was keeping it going but at the new price I don’t feel it’s worth it anymore. The dollar increase from $5.99 to $6.99 I was fine with but I don’t think it’s worth $9.99 personally.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-20-23 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-03-23, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 896 Likes on 659 Posts

I just let my subscription expire and then I found a free three month offer at Best Buy. I signed up again until March. I can watch Slow Horses and For All Mankind now.
Old 12-04-23, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Took advantage of T-Mobile "On Us" promotion for AppleTV so I can watch "Monarch". But it only says $4.99... so I'm not sure of that will now just be a partial credit for half the price due to the increase or if T-Mobile is still covering it 100%.

I will say the Interface is one of the better ones in streaming. I'm using the AppleTV Roku app. I LOVE that they have a whole "Trailers" sections as others seem to be hiding theirs or taking trailers off their service.
Old 12-04-23, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I have Apple TV + for free on T-Mobile. I'm on the Magenta Max plan and they give that along with Netflix for free.

But yeah the interface is really nice.
Old 12-04-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 896 Likes on 659 Posts

Here's the three free months via Best Buy. It's only for new or qualified returning subscribers: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-f...?skuId=6484512
Old 12-04-23, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have Apple TV + for free on T-Mobile. I'm on the Magenta Max plan and they give that along with Netflix for free.

But yeah the interface is really nice.
That's the thing. I'm on a grandfathered in SPRINT plan. T-Mobile took away Amazon Prime and TIDAL for free soon after they took over Sprint but are still paying for HULU. So while Netflix shows as $15.XX credit, Apple TV only shows as $4.99. I also wondered if being the old SPRINT plan may be why it's showing for that amount...
Old 12-05-23, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,160 Likes on 951 Posts

I just canceled. I canceled a while back then reupped for Ted Lasso and have been watching some other things, but it’s not worth the price hike. Maybe I can watch the third season of The Morning Show before it expires.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.