Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Apple TV+ -- News and Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-21, 07:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: Apple TV+ -- News and Rumors

So I’m trying to do this invitation thing with family sharing with dad. I send link on iPhone and he says goes nowhere when he hits it. I have to give him my id and password. What’s up?
Old 10-13-21, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Oddly enough, ATV+ is now available on our 2016 LG UH8500. We watch it via our Roku yet that is a nice addition to the TV.
Old 10-13-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

And now that the app is installed and I've logged in, I found out it is not our full library. It only is for the ATV+ content.
Old 10-13-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Yeah, I tried it out and deleted it. My free year ran out, I've already watched all the must-see stuff so not subscribing at least for a while; my TV can't pass Atmos anyways and almost everything on ATV+ is in Atmos so wouldn't watch it through that anyways.
Old 12-09-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Target Circle members can get 4 months free of Apple TV+. It should work for any Apple ID that does not have a current subscription for Apple TV+.
https://www.target.com/circle/partners

Best Buy has a similar offer for 3 months of free Apple TV+.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-f...?skuId=6484512

I think you can probably do the Best Buy offer first, cancel when the 3 months is up, and then sign-up again with the Target code (which doesn't expire until June 2022) for 4 more months.
Old 12-13-21, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Where should questions about specific iTunes titles go? I can't find an iTunes thread in Streaming Talk, just a Vudu thread. I'm not interested in discussing or selling codes (in this instance), so that thread isn't right.
Old 12-13-21, 06:48 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Where should questions about specific iTunes titles go? I can't find an iTunes thread in Streaming Talk, just a Vudu thread. I'm not interested in discussing or selling codes (in this instance), so that thread isn't right.
I don't think there's an iTunes thread, just threads for Apple TV and TV+. It seems like most posters here use Vudu, so that's probably why we never got a thread going. Feel free to start a iTunes discussion thread if you want.
Old 12-13-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I don't think there's an iTunes thread, just threads for Apple TV and TV+. It seems like most posters here use Vudu, so that's probably why we never got a thread going. Feel free to start a iTunes discussion thread if you want.
I'll do that, thanks.
Old 12-14-21, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Best Buy code did not work for me. Said valid for new subscribers only. I had AppleTV+ for a year and canceled at the end of the free trial year period. Oh well.
Old 12-17-21, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

We just finished watching Foundation. Still not sure i understand what's going on but it's been cool. I really like the Dawn/Day/Dusk thing.
We've also enjoyedTed Lasso and Schmigadoon, and my wife likes the Morning Show.

Question - AppleTV+, much more than other streaming services, pauses for a few seconds multiple times during an hour long program. I occasionally run into buffering issues on Vudu or 'cannot connect' on Netflix, but this is every time, multiple times during a show. Not bad enough to say 'screw it', but enough for an 'again?' and to raise the question here.
Anyone else encounter that, or have any advice?
I'm watching on a Roku Streaming Stick Plus, and my Roku clocks network speed at 60MB on its test (although on my old computer it usually clocks at 350-500.)

I see Alan had that issue back in April. Do you still have it or has it gotten better?
Old 12-17-21, 08:52 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I had freezing issues like that with the app when it first launched, but haven’t experienced it in a while.
Old 12-17-21, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I had issues with the Apple TV app every time I used it on Roku. Anytime I started to watch something it would freeze and then the Roku would have to reboot. Sometimes it would need to do this a couple of times before I would be able to actually watch something. I tried deleting the app and reloading it, but nothing ever fixed the problem. Eventually I just bought an AppleTV device, which I don't have any problems with.
Old 12-17-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I have a Roku ultra, the 2019 model, and don't have any buffering or freezing issues
Old 12-28-21, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Best Buy code did not work for me. Said valid for new subscribers only. I had AppleTV+ for a year and canceled at the end of the free trial year period. Oh well.
You’re right. I tried it, and the Best Buy offer is only for new subscribers. I’m in the same boat as you, having previously had the one year free trial.

However, I just tried the Target Circle offer and that does work! I now have 4 months free. It works for any account, new or returning, so long as it does not have a currently active Apple TV+ subscription.
Old 12-31-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Got a free year of Apple TV for getting an iPhone 13 from TMo, despite already having a Pixel 6. Helps to soften the blow (plus they're giving me 800 for my Note 20 Ultra). Got a year of Paramount+, too. It came just in time, as I was looking for some new stuff to watch.
Old 01-22-22, 10:06 AM

Skydance Media, the maker of “The Tomorrow War” and “Mission: Impossible,” will develop and produce a slate of live action films as part of a new multi-year pact with Apple Original Films.

The move between the production company and the tech giant has been rumored for months, with buzz building after Apple and Skydance brokered a similar deal for animated films and series. The news is yet another signal of the shift in power in the entertainment landscape from traditional media companies to streaming giants.

Skydance had long been most closely associated with one of those legacy companies in Paramount Pictures. They last signed a four-year theatrical distribution deal with the ViacomCBS-owned studio in 2017, which recently expired. Skydance head David Ellison and former Paramount leader Jim Gianopulos were increasingly at odds over releasing films in a pandemic-struck market, insiders familiar with the companies said.

After successfully unloading projects like “The Tomorrow War” to Amazon Prime Video — a blockbuster for that service — to considerable profit margins, the final straw for Skydance and Paramount came with the July 2021 release of the G.I. Joe story “Snake Eyes.” Skydance was keen to sell it to a streaming player, insiders said, but Gianopulos insisted the film roll out in theaters as the Delta variant of COVID-19 continued to interfere with public life. That project, which reportedly cost close to $90 million, earned $28 million at the domestic box office and a fatal $11 million in international territories. [Update: Sources told Variety that Paramount had a theatrical obligation to “Snake Eyes” rights holder Hasbro, which forced the issue].

Ironically, insiders noted, Skydance and Paramount’s bond has stabilized following a streaming-first reorganization at the legacy studio last September. Gianopulos was abruptly ousted by ViacomCBS leader Shari Redstone, and replaced by executive Brian Robbins. Skydance will continue to work on its ongoing franchises with Paramount, which include “Mission: Impossible,” “Transformers” and “Star Trek.” The company produced the upcoming “Top Gun: Maverick” and “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” for the studio, along with the next two installments in the “Mission: Impossible” series. Skydance also has projects with other companies such as its planned sequel to “The Tomorrow War” and Netflix’s upcoming Ryan Reynolds film “The Adam Project.”

Ellison consolidating the majority of his business at Apple is a bit fated. The son of Oracle billionaire Larry Ellison, David Ellison has spoken over the years of the lasting impact of a childhood spent roaming the Apple campus and watching the late Steve Jobs build out the tech monolith.

Apple and Skydance have already announced features including “The Greatest Beer Run Ever,” directed by Peter Farrelly and starring Zac Efron and Russell Crowe, and “Ghosted,” directed by Dexter Fletcher and starring Chris Evans and Ana de Armas. For Apple TV Plus, Skydance produces David S. Goyer’s “Foundation” and the upcoming “The Big Door Prize” from David West Read.

The deal with Skydance should bolster Apple’s arsenal of content. The company recently released Oscar contenders “CODA” and “The Tragedy of Macbeth,” starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand. Its upcoming releases include “Emancipation,” from director Antoine Fuqua and Will Smith and Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon,” which stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert De Niro.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/s...al-1235159660/
Old 01-22-22, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Ellison consolidating the majority of his business at Apple is a bit fated. The son of Oracle billionaire Larry Ellison, David Ellison has spoken over the years of the lasting impact of a childhood spent roaming the Apple campus and watching the late Steve Jobs build out the tech monolith.
David Ellison seems to be having better luck as producer than his sister who owns AnnaPurna Productions. He's still trucking along with projects but she hasn't produced anything in a while. I think Destroyer was one of her last projects and that bombed and didn't do her independent studio any favors, David has had his share of bombs but seems to rebound pretty much unscathed so far.
Old 03-08-22, 01:07 PM

Apple has snared rights to a Friday-night package of Major League Baseball games, extending Silicon Valley’s reach into the world of sports.

Under terms of the new pact, Apple will have exclusive rights to telecast two “Friday Night Baseball” games each week — totaling about 50 per year — in the U.S. and to eight countries overseas, via its Apple TV Plus. Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed the pact during a live-streamed company event. Apple’s pact will start as soon as Major League Baseball and its players’ union settle a labor dispute that has already shortened the league’s next season, and raised concerns over how many games will be played in 2022. Financial terms were not disclosed.

“We have a next generation of fans that may be ‘cord-nevers,’ and you’ve got people that are no longer inside the bundle,” says Noah Garden, MLB’s chief revenue officer, in an interview, referring to the cable and satellite operators who have for years delivered many live sports broadcasts. “The most important thing for us right now is reach.”

The consumer-electronics manufacturer no doubt hopes an attractive passel of sports rights will bring new viewership to its Apple TV Plus streaming service, which vies for consumer attention and subscription dollars with Disney’s Disney Plus and Netflix, among others, and Apple’s deal only adds to pressures on leagues and media companies to include streaming rights in sports deals. Indeed, ESPN has over the past few years kept streaming rights paramount in its deal making, and the company’s Hulu already shows some live NHL games as part of a deal between the league and sister outlet ESPN. WarnerMedia has deals in place that will let it stream NHL games and, next year, men’s and women’s matches from the U.S. Soccer Federation. Amazon last year won new solo rights to stream the NFL’s “Thursday Night Football” and is gearing up for its new tenure.

The MLB games became available after ESPN trimmed its baseball-rights package in a new seven-year agreement with MLB, cutting loose weekday games in favor of a more intense focus on Sunday telecasts, the league’s Home Run Derby and some post-season wild card games.

Major League Baseball is slated to produce the games, Garden says, along with pre- and post-game shows. And there will be other baseball-related programming. “MLB Big Inning” will be a live show featuring highlights and will be available every weeknight during the regular season. Apple TV Plus will also feature a new 24/7 livestream with game replays, news and analysis, highlights, classic games and more, along with a suite of on-demand programming that could include original content.

Apple plans to offer new coverage of the league and teams that will appear in Apple News, and will give subscribers the ability to watch highlights in its News app.

MLB may have more weekday games to deal. The Apple games represent “a subsection” of the weekday games the league has available, says Garden.

The MLB executive declined to speak about the status of the league’s talks with players. “All I can say is that I look forward to getting back on the field, and that when we do, we are hopeful we in a positioning ourselves and our fans in ways they can find our products and consume our content on the device of their choice.”
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/app...al-1235198815/
Old 03-08-22, 01:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Now all we need is a baseball season this year.
The following 4 users liked this post by E Unit:
Boondock Saint (03-08-22), Deftones (03-08-22), IDrinkMolson (03-08-22), OldBoy (03-09-22)
Old 04-14-22, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Best Buy is offering 3-6 month trials for new subscribers of various Apple services:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple/a...t1613589812364

Apple TV+ - 3 months
Apple Music+ - 6 months
Apple News+ - 6 months
Apple Fitness+ - 3 months
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (04-14-22)
Old 04-15-22, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
Now all we need is a baseball season this year.

This post didn't age well. Watching Doyers vs. Reds in HD / 5.1, so not bad. I'm digging it. With the ESPN+ bundled with Disney/Hulu, I should be covered for sports and whatnot.

The announcers are quite hilarious and go for some serious innuendo, which is shocking, so we'll see how long that lasts. It's two guys and a girl and their names escape me.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-16-22 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-15-22, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I know some people here are hesitant to subscribe to this service, but it’s dirt cheap. $50 per year. $4.16 per month. Literally about the price of a visit to Starbucks. There isn’t hundreds of thousands of hours of shows and movies like Netflix, which most of you don’t even watch anyways. But Apple has been producing some high quality A list quality shows and movies with A list stars. Not Lionsgate or Saban shit. If you subscribe for a year and watch a few shows per month, you get your money’s worth IMO. And now they have live sports.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
RichC2 (04-18-22), Why So Blu? (04-16-22)
Old 04-16-22, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know some people here are hesitant to subscribe to this service, but it’s dirt cheap. $50 per year. $4.16 per month. Literally about the price of a visit to Starbucks. There isn’t hundreds of thousands of hours of shows and movies like Netflix, which most of you don’t even watch anyways. But Apple has been producing some high quality A list quality shows and movies with A list stars. Not Lionsgate or Saban shit. If you subscribe for a year and watch a few shows per month, you get your money’s worth IMO. And now they have live sports.
I love it. Also, if folks have a PS5 and register it with APTV+ they can get an extra 6 months added to their existing subscription.
Old 04-16-22, 02:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This post didn't age well. Watching Doyers vs. Reds in HD / 5.1, so not bad. I'm digging it. With the ESPN+ bundled with Disney/Hulu, I should be covered for sports and whatnot.

The announcers are quite hilarious and go for some serious innuendo, which is shocking, so we'll see how long that lasts. It's two guys and a girl and their names escape me.
Ha, I didn’t expect the, to cancel the season. The question was how long it would be delayed. Apple has lousy coverage though.
Old 04-17-22, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ha, I didn’t expect the, to cancel the season. The question was how long it would be delayed. Apple has lousy coverage though.
I like their probability stats that populate the lower part of the screen. Also, the chick doing the announcing with the guys is Heidi Watney. She's hot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.