Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-01-24, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
What's New each month on Peacock:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/new-on-peacock

Leaving Peacock this month:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/leaving-peacock

These lists are updated on the 1st of each month.
Print Wikipost

Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

Old 05-09-22, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 794 Likes on 584 Posts
Re: Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

It looks like more and more shows are now under a paywall. I just have a free account and I wanted to watch a Bravo show on break today and you have to have a paid membership to watch them now. I was able to watch them for free previously.
Old 05-13-22, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Presentation-wise I considered Peacock one of the worst services, but they finally added support for Airplay, and it passes 5.1 sound unlike on Chromecast- AND it lets you skip past commercials (I have a few free months of the ad-supported version.) The commercials seem to actually be encoded as part of the show so there isn't any switching to them (and if you do watch them, you don't get the countdown timer onscreen which would piss me off if I were paying to have a commercial run there.) There's no auto-play at least if your device is off or asleep after starting the show, so it doesn't cut the end credits off. You do have to go through the terrible inconvenience of manually starting the next show in a series, but somehow I'll live with that. What's kinda weird is if you have your iphone or ipad set to mirror, it still behaves as it did before (it plays just the sound on the TV in 2-channel stereo while the video keeps playing on the device), you have to hit the Airplay button to get everything on the TV and can't mirror the interface on it in between. On everything else I've used, when you have it on Mirror it'll show whatever is on the device until it plays an audio or video file and then it gets kicked straight to the TV in full quality.

Watched the new Firestarter and the picture quality wasn't that great, but then watched a couple shows and they looked pretty good. Would be better if it worked on Kodi (I think Slyguy wants to get it to work there but hasn't yet), but this is do-able. Most movies still play without commercials on the ad-supported plan, after this expires I'll be a lot more likely to pick up the ad-free service than before, because you can never have too many streaming services.
Old 06-04-22, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,496 Posts

The new movie The Northman is now up if you have a premium subscription. Also, Ambulance has been up a few weeks as well.

Old 06-04-22, 06:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts

Didn’t care for either. Ambulance much more so. Northman was good, but not as good as everyone made out to be. Ambulance was just one big, chaotic, implausible chase scene. I couldn’t get into at all.
Old 06-06-22, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I wish when I select something to watch on Peacock that they would do a better job of highlighting the icon because as it stands now it's (the icon) is just a little larger than the other icon's and it's difficult to notice your viewing choices.
Old 06-06-22, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,435 Posts

I don't really understand how the WWE PPVs work. If you don't watch it live you can't watch it right after? I missed Hell in a Cell and for some reason couldn't watch it at all after the fact.
Old 06-06-22, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Another thing does the WWE Network on PeacockTV have a live 24/7 channel or is it just only for live events?

There still needs a lot of work to be done on WWE Network for finding programming.
Old 06-09-22, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Another thing does the WWE Network on PeacockTV have a live 24/7 channel or is it just only for live events?

There still needs a lot of work to be done on WWE Network for finding programming.
Just the live events.

It's definitely a step down from the legacy WWE Network...in terms of organization, adding of new content, etc. Only upside here (for me) is I previously subscribed to both WWE Network and Peacock, so in theory I'm saving $10 a month...even if the WWE aspect is watered down.
Old 06-09-22, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't really understand how the WWE PPVs work. If you don't watch it live you can't watch it right after? I missed Hell in a Cell and for some reason couldn't watch it at all after the fact.
It'll show up in the on demand...sometimes right away, but usually by the next morning.
Old 06-14-22, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 567 Likes on 413 Posts

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/co...ss-to-peacock/

Soon peacock will no longer be free to Comcast X1 and other subscribers.
Old 06-28-22, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Welp, looks like it's almost time to cancel Peacock:

Old 06-28-22, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts

Will he still be a dick?
Old 06-29-22, 09:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ha, WTF is up with this guy? Never heard of him before.
Old 06-29-22, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ha, WTF is up with this guy? Never heard of him before.
He's just a kid who's four each day he grows some more
He likes exploring, he's Caillou
So many things to do each day there's something new
He'll share them with you, he's Caillou
The following 3 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
Alan Smithee (06-29-22), Deftones (06-29-22), John Pannozzi (06-29-22)
Old 06-29-22, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

First time I heard of him was when I worked at the Tower Records 800-number. Someone had bought a Caillou VHS tape and wanted to send it back because it had the word "stupid" in it, and "we don't use that word." It took everything I had to not call her stupid, but I just said any issue with the content she would have to take up with the company that put it out; we couldn't take it back unless it was defective as in didn't play properly.
Old 07-02-22, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk God

The Bad Guys is now on Peacock

I know the vast majority here doesn't care for animated movies, but if you got kids, this is something to watch. I rented this from Red Box a week ago and it's not bad.
Old 07-02-22, 09:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We bought this the first day it was available about a month ago. Pretty good adaptation of the kids books. My kids had me read these to them, and they are quite funny. Movie got about 80% nailed down.
Old 07-02-22, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/co...ss-to-peacock/

Soon peacock will no longer be free to Comcast X1 and other subscribers.
And that's the end of Peacock.
Old 07-02-22, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eric F
And that's the end of Peacock.
Peacock isn't going anywhere. NBC Universal wants to have full control of their content, especially now with them pulling all their content being daily posted on Hulu.

I've read the service is a money loser right now, but that's always been expected for a new service.
Old 07-03-22, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts

I find it hard to believe Xfinity will stop offering ad-supported Peacock for "free" for their customers - at least at some tier of service. Eric F is RIGHT. They stop offering it as part of their monthly cable service, that's the end of Peacock. I've been getting it free since launch and it's easily my least-watched of the premium services.
Old 07-03-22, 04:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Ugh…I was watching Midnight, Texas and I put it aside for a few months and Peacock lost my place. So not fun.
Old 07-03-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 104 Posts

For the couple series I am slowly watching, I'd go in every so often and play 1-2 min of the episode to keep my place. Well that didn't work so well when they removed 1 of the 2 series I was watching, abruptly without notice.
The following users liked this post:
BackStJoe (07-05-22)
Old 07-03-22, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I lost my place on some episodes of Chicago Fire and PD.

If you haven't played an episode in "Continue Watching" in a long time, it gets removed from there and you lose you place. It's annoying. Every other service keeps your place.
The following users liked this post:
BackStJoe (07-05-22)
Old 07-03-22, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Peacock isn't going anywhere. NBC Universal wants to have full control of their content, especially now with them pulling all their content being daily posted on Hulu.

I've read the service is a money loser right now, but that's always been expected for a new service.
They are essentially losing half a billion dollars a year on a streaming service that is not gaining popularity,and it's probably worse then their actual loses since they are not making money on several popular Universal owned shows like The Office that were once cash nows and are now keeping them exclusive to Peacock. Seems like an unsustainable business model unless they have a magic wand that will grow their streaming service into higher popularity.
Old 07-03-22, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
They are essentially losing half a billion dollars a year on a streaming service that is not gaining popularity,and it's probably worse then their actual loses since they are not making money on several popular Universal owned shows like The Office that were once cash nows and are now keeping them exclusive to Peacock. Seems like an unsustainable business model unless they have a magic wand that will grow their streaming service into higher popularity.
Sheesh. Go look at other services and see if they make money hand over fist. Netflix throws money to prestigious productions and talent every week. Disney is running three services: Disney+, Hulu, and Star/HotStar. HBO Max before the Discovery buyout gave HBO subscribers full access and now offers a plan with ads and less content.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.