Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-01-24, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
What's New each month on Peacock:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/new-on-peacock

Leaving Peacock this month:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/leaving-peacock

These lists are updated on the 1st of each month.
Print Wikipost

Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-21, 07:57 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

I hope it's better than the CBS All Access relaunch which was basically just changing the name and logo.
Old 10-06-21, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

All I want is for the ability to turn off AutoPlay.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

So what tier do I need to watch WWE programming and Halloween Kills? Premium or Premium Plus? Thanks gang.
Old 10-09-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
So what tier do I need to watch WWE programming and Halloween Kills? Premium or Premium Plus? Thanks gang.
Premium is fine.
Old 10-09-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Premium does have ads though. Premium Plus is commercial free. I'm not sure if they would insert ads into movies though like Halloween Kills.

It is $100/year for Premium Plus.
Old 10-09-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,824 Likes on 1,225 Posts

As long as I get to keep my Ice-T Avatar I am OK with the relaunch
Old 10-10-21, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Premium does have ads though. Premium Plus is commercial free. I'm not sure if they would insert ads into movies though like Halloween Kills.

It is $100/year for Premium Plus.
They threaten ad breaks but movies only have them at the start and end.
Old 10-10-21, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks guys for the help!
Old 10-10-21, 07:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Premium through Comcast and there are ad breaks (2 or 3 for 30 to 60 seconds) during the movie when I watched Prince of Darkness.
BackStJoe (10-10-21)
Old 10-10-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ftsoh
I have Premium through Comcast and there are ad breaks (2 or 3 for 30 to 60 seconds) during the movie when I watched Prince of Darkness.
It can be weird. The classic Universal monster movies have very short ad breaks peppered through them, but when I watched the Godfather and the Elm Street movies there were only ads right before the start.
Old 10-22-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Anyone use Xfinity's Flex streaming box? I qualify for a free one since I get my internet through them and that includes a subscription to the base paid tier. I've heard the device kinda sucks, but I'd only ever use it for Peacock. I really enjoyed the Girls5eva pilot and only the first three episodes are free. Plus - while I've done zero research on the matter - I could see NBC locking at least some Olympics coverage behind a paywall in order to drive subs to the service.
I ended up getting the Flex device. It wasn't truly "free" - there was a $15 delivery/self install fee - but I figure over time it'll be worth it given the included premium Peacock subscription. I hooked it up, went to Peacock, and it upgraded my account. And that's the last I'll ever use it. Didn't fuss with any other apps. Roku and the individual streamers already have the nitty gritty of my viewing habits. No need to add Comcast to the mix. The premium Peacock works on any device.

The news about the exclusivity of Universal movies starting next year is just gravy. (Not mentioned in that short tweet is that Universal is also going to start making movies that go directly to Peacock.)
Question for you or anyone else who uses the Flex box: I got a new Roku TV (after having a roku box for years), and I have no desire to change my streaming setup. But Xfinity gave me this Flex box a couple of months ago, and I am interested in accessing Peacock for free. Can I connect this box to one of my HDMI inputs on the TV, and just switch to that input when I want to watch Peacock? But otherwise do all of my streaming through the integrated Roku? Or is connecting this box to my TV going to somehow screw things up?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, I am not very AV-savvy.
Old 10-23-21, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 425 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Can I connect this box to one of my HDMI inputs on the TV, and just switch to that input when I want to watch Peacock? But otherwise do all of my streaming through the integrated Roku? Or is connecting this box to my TV going to somehow screw things up?

Yes you can. It's no different than switching over to a bluray player or game console.
Old 10-23-21, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Question for you or anyone else who uses the Flex box: I got a new Roku TV (after having a roku box for years), and I have no desire to change my streaming setup. But Xfinity gave me this Flex box a couple of months ago, and I am interested in accessing Peacock for free. Can I connect this box to one of my HDMI inputs on the TV, and just switch to that input when I want to watch Peacock? But otherwise do all of my streaming through the integrated Roku? Or is connecting this box to my TV going to somehow screw things up?

Couldn't you just hook it up one time to upgrade your Peacock account and then log into that account on your Roku TV so you don't have to switch inputs like DJLinus did?
Deftones (10-23-21)
Old 10-23-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Couldn't you just hook it up one time to upgrade your Peacock account and then log into that account on your Roku TV so you don't have to switch inputs like DJLinus did?
That is exactly what I ended up doing. I hooked up the Flex box to my bedroom TV and logged into Peacock through it. Doing that upgraded my free account to the ad-supported paid tier. (For free.) Having done that, I just use the Peacock apps on my two Roku TVs and phone, no problems. The Flex has been gathering dust for months. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 10-23-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meathead
Yes you can. It's no different than switching over to a bluray player or game console.
Originally Posted by lwhy?
That is exactly what I ended up doing. I hooked up the Flex box to my bedroom TV and logged into Peacock through it. Doing that upgraded my free account to the ad-supported paid tier. (For free.) Having done that, I just use the Peacock apps on my two Roku TVs and phone, no problems. The Flex has been gathering dust for months. Out of sight, out of mind.
Thanks guys! I'll hook up the Flex, sign up/in, then try it on the TV.
Old 10-25-21, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I wonder how many people signed up for Peacock just to watch Halloween Kills and then cancelled. I know with so many streaming services many of you try to avoid having too many recurring expenses.

I heard Peacock has so few paid subscribers, that it might explain why Halloween Kills actually performed decently in theaters week 1 with over $50M. Last I heard it as over 4M paid subscribers on the premium tier.

and the weird thing is that Peacock doesn't even carry any of the previous Halloween movies as their rights are all spread out. I know this is crappy for many if you who grow frustrated trying to track down things you want to watch only to discover its on something you don't pay for.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-25-21 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-27-21, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE: turns out, I didn't need the flex box at all. Xfinity had screwed stuff up with my acct (shocking, I know) and had no record of me having a flex box even though they gave me one, so it wouldn't work. After calling them, they finally figured this out (first guy didn't) and sent me a replacement box (so I now have 2, lol). But before the second one arrived, I went online to Peacock to see if I could just sign up for an account through Xfinity, and it worked. Went back to my Roku TV, fired up Peacock, signed in, and have Peacock Premium without ever using the Flex box.

But I'm now afraid of returning the boxes I do have, don't want them to fuck up my account because of that.
Old 10-27-21, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wonder how many people signed up for Peacock just to watch Halloween Kills and then cancelled.

I was actually going to keep it for a while but looking around there is absolutely nothing compelling on this service to make me want to keep it. And there's a lot of duplication on Hulu for the NBC programming.
Old 10-29-21, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ps-1235038537/

Comcast on Thursday reported $230 million in revenue and a $520 million adjusted loss related to NBCUniversal streaming service Peacock in its third-quarter earnings report. That compared to $41 million in revenue and an adjusted loss of $233 million in the comparable year-ago period.

For the first time since the launch of Peacock last year, management didn’t provide an update on the number of sign-ups in either the earnings release or call. NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell said only that the company has “added a few million more subs” and more monthly active accounts.

The company previously said that Peacock had ended the second quarter with 54 million sign-ups in the U.S., including around 20 million monthly active accounts. The service offers a free, ad-supported tier as well as $5-a-month and $10-a-month streaming options.
The article continues but obviously they spin it as successful, and I have no idea how that loss compares to other services. As far as duplication of NBC programming I'd think this is supposed to appeal to people who for some reason or another don't get NBC (no cable and maybe no antenna coverage?) Otherwise I agree it doesn't seem like it has enough to pay for unless you really really like one of the shows that are available.

A ton of the year over year increase was due to the theme parks which were pretty much dead a year ago for obvious reasons.
Old 10-29-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I get Peacock for the WWE PPVs, didn't watch much besides that. Was nice to get a new release movie like Halloween Kills even if it wasn't the best. They had a decent selection of horror movies as well so used it a bit more this month.
Old 12-09-21, 11:30 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Universal Movies Will Land on Peacock After 45 Days in Theaters

Universal’s upcoming films will premiere on Peacock, the streaming service owned by NBCUniversal, as early as 45 days after debuting on the big screen.

The arrangement does not impact the studio’s existing premium video-on-demand deals with exhibition. It does, however, shrink the traditional Pay 1 window — which was roughly 120 days prior to the pandemic — allowing the majority of its movies to land on streaming services sooner than normal.

Universal’s new model will begin with its 2022 slate, which includes Jennifer Lopez’s musical comedy “Marry Me,” the globe-trotting espionage thriller “The 355,” the George Clooney-Julia Roberts romantic comedy “Ticket to Paradise,” Blumhouse’s horror film “The Black Phone” and “Downton Abbey: A New Era.” Major tentpoles, such as “Jurassic World: Dominion,” “Minions: The Rise of Gru” and Christopher Nolan’s war epic “Oppenheimer,” are not expected to fall in the 45-day plan.

Other Hollywood studios, including Disney, Warner Bros. and Paramount, had already announced that, at least through 2022, new movies will have 45-day exclusive theatrical runs before debuting on their parent company’s respective streaming services.
Old 12-14-21, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of subscribing to watch the Tobey Spider-Man movies. Does anyone know if any those are one of the few movies that have ads on the Premier Plus subscription?

No point in wasting $10 if the movies in particular are going to be interrupted at all.

Thanks!

Last edited by kakistos; 12-14-21 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-14-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by kakistos
I was thinking of subscribing to watch the Tobey Spider-Man movies. Does anyone know if any those are one of the few movies that have ads on the Premier Plus subscription?

No point in wasting $10 if the movies in particular are going to be interrupted at all.

Thanks!
With the 5 dollar Peacock(Peacock Premium),the only ads during movies is a commercial block for 2 minutes before the movie stars. Once the movie starts though their are 0 commercials from beginning to end.
Old 12-26-21, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Amazon Fire TV must have done an update last night because my Peacock TV is all messed up(screen is quarter sized what it is normally).
Old 12-26-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Amazon Fire TV must have done an update last night because my Peacock TV is all messed up(screen is quarter sized what it is normally).
My Daughter and Son in Law's TV (with Amazon Fire built in) was doing the something similar for everything. Had to reboot the TV (unplug for 3+ minutes) and it came back to normal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.