Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-01-24, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
What's New each month on Peacock:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/new-on-peacock

Leaving Peacock this month:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/leaving-peacock

These lists are updated on the 1st of each month.
Print Wikipost

Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

I'd assume it's still WWE or whoever it was that uploads stuff, not NBC/Universal. All they're doing is making it a service within a service, so to speak.
Old 03-18-21, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Best place to go to find out about new programming on WWE Network (old or new) would be WWE Network News website.
Old 03-18-21, 08:21 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I'd assume it's still WWE or whoever it was that uploads stuff, not NBC/Universal. All they're doing is making it a service within a service, so to speak.
It's not. WWE laid off a ton of people in the Network department. Peacock is an entirely different interface from what WWE had been using for the Network, and it's going to be maintained by Peacock for US customers. They will coordinate with WWE and upload the same things that get uploaded for non US customers but I would temper my expectations for content uploads. If they didn't find it important enough to put it up on the dedicated wrestling app created for pro wrestling fans... they definitely won't find it essential to put on a multi platform app aimed at casual wrestling fans at best. And with the diminished work force for the over seas version of the Network, no one should expect them to keep new uploads at the current pace. Basically only expect new PPVs and new originals docs like WWE 24. Doubt we ever see a WCW Worldwide or Velocity upload ever again.
Old 03-18-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, got it. Thanks!
Old 03-19-21, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get Peacock Premium free with Xfinity so I just checked out WWE and an episode of Broken Skull Sessions and there are indeed ads throughout it.

Suppose it's to be expected with original content, just hope it's not interspersed with archived stuff as well.

Old 03-19-21, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Get Peacock Premium free with Xfinity so I just checked out WWE and an episode of Broken Skull Sessions and there are indeed ads throughout it.

Suppose it's to be expected with original content, just hope it's not interspersed with archived stuff as well.
There are two levels of Peacock Premium:

$4.99 with ads which is free with Xfinity

$9.99 with limited ads which is $4.99 with Xfinity

The limited ads means you’ll probably get ads during highly popular shows and some specials.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12

The limited ads means you’ll probably get ads during highly popular shows and some specials.
Yeah, I just wasn't quite sure how ads were going to work with WWE stuff since there aren't any on the current WWE Network, other than at the start of whatever you watch.

For $4.99 I'd say the ads were tolerable and not very intrusive. There's just nothing else on Peacock I want to watch.
Old 03-19-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emachine12

I have the 9.99 version and don't get ads.

You get ads with the free version and limited ads with the 4.99 version.

They should drop the Premium name if it show's any ads at all because that is deceiving.
Old 03-19-21, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I have the 9.99 version and don't get ads.

You get ads with the free version and limited ads with the 4.99 version.

They should drop the Premium name if it show's any ads at all because that is deceiving.
This disclaimer is for the $9.99 tier:

*Due to streaming rights, a small amount of programming will still contain ads (Peacock channels, events and a few shows and movies).
Old 03-19-21, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

The wording of that allows them to put ads on whatever they want.
Old 03-19-21, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they plug something on Peacock then I don't count that as an ad.
Old 03-21-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One problem that I am having watching WWE Network on Peacock TV is the long hesitation between watching shows in order.
Old 03-21-21, 06:25 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Looks like you can't Rewind, Pause, or Start From Beginning on the Live PPVs.

And maybe it's just me, but the video quality doesn't seem as good as the WWE Network feed.

There's also about a 30 second lag on the Peacock feed. Not a big deal. Just interesting.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-21-21 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-21-21, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Looks like you can't Rewind, Pause, or Start From Beginning on the Live PPVs.

And maybe it's just me, but the video quality doesn't seem as good as the WWE Network feed.

There's also about a 30 second lag on the Peacock feed. Not a big deal. Just interesting.
WWE just posted this on Twitter. I’m watching on the Network and haven’t had any issues

Old 03-21-21, 07:42 PM

I meant the video feed on Peacock doesn't look as good as the WWE Network version. Although the Peacock video seems better now. The first hour it felt very soft.
Old 03-21-21, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had no issues watching Fastlane on Peacock.

Wish the show had been better though!
Old 03-21-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I meant the video feed on Peacock doesn't look as good as the WWE Network version. Although the Peacock video seems better now. The first hour it felt very soft.

I thought the feeed looked better on the app using Appletv device then it looked on the Comcast box.
Old 03-27-21, 03:40 AM

NBCUniversal has discussed a new subscription video-streaming service separate from Peacock

NBCUniversal chief executive Jeff Shell has recently held conversations about the potential for a Universal-branded subscription video service, according to two people familiar with the talks.

While the conversations are in the early stages, the rationale behind such a plan would be to grow globally and compete with tech giants Netflix and Amazon as well as Disney and AT&T's WarnerMedia.

NBCU last year launched Peacock, which is primarily a free-ad supported streaming service with a paid, ad-free tier. But while Peacock is a familiar icon to American viewers, the brand name means little to viewers around the world.

One of the sources familiar with conversations said the brand name "Universal Stream" has been discussed. The Information floated the name "Universal Stream" earlier this month. The source said the entertainment giant would need to spend billions of dollars to launch a new subscription streamer, though. The Universal trademark search also could be tricky, given the global music company of the same name and other overseas ventures.

The launch of a new paid movie service could involve NBCUniversal sacrificing licensing revenue to invest in its own venture. The second source said there was a high-level strategy meeting about Peacock this week, and the topic of funding a movie subscription service was on the agenda.

A spokeswoman for Peacock declined comment, as did an NBCUniversal corporate spokeswoman.

Even so, if NBCU did pursue such a plan, there are a few ways it could work.

Brian Roberts, CEO of NBCU parent Comcast, dropped hints on a recent investor call that NBCUniversal might be getting back some of its premium content from Hulu, which Comcast co-owns with Disney.

Comcast gave up operational control in Hulu in return for an agreement that it could give up its stake and get its content back at some point before 2024. Currently, "The Real Housewives" franchise is on Hulu and would help juice a future NBCUniversal SVOD play. NBCUniversal also shares the long-running series "Keeping Up with The Kardashians" with Hulu. The two also share "Modern Family."

Such a move could help boost the company's streaming ambitions, whether they land at a new premium off-shoot or basic ad-supported Peacock.

NBCU could also put its Universal movies — now tied up in a deal with WarnerMedia's HBO until 2023 — into such a service. Currently, when Universal movies such as "Jurassic World" and the "Fast and the Furious" franchises leave theaters, they go direct to HBO.

Separately, sources said there have been conversations across Comcast and AT&T about how NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia might work together more closely, potentially bundling programming together. They say AT&T-backed WarnerMedia declined to move forward on the proposition, however.
Old 03-27-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just finished binging Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist Season 1 on Peacock, I’m not paying anything and the ad breaks are not as long as other services I have used.
Old 05-07-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Sizzle reel of what's new in May

Old 05-08-21, 12:42 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I don’t watch the TV with a Firestick on it much, but I went to update it and add some apps and saw Peacock still isn’t available in there yet? Geez… they better get that straightened out before the Olympics.
Old 05-21-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I had to update my side loaded app yesterday. Odd to me not an official app yet.
Old 05-23-21, 10:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Peacock ads...
So I went for one day with promos interspaced throughout a show...I was pissed. I'm paying for this shit commercial free.
I can understand a promo before a show starts, but don't give me one every 10-15 minutes. So a strongly worded tweet and the next day all ads were gone. Not sure if the tweet had anything to do with it or if they are just testing the waters for ads/promos.
Old 05-26-21, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

AndroidTV app now finally supports DD+ surround sound.
Old 05-27-21, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Does anyone know why Peacock took out the Kids section from the top menu?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.