Where to find What's New and Leaving each month on MAX:
https://press.wbd.com/us/brands/max/media-releases
Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Old 04-21-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service launches May 2020

From what I read, if you are HBO Now subscriber, it basically converts to that or is in addition to. I assume there will be an app update? The HBO Now app sucks major ass.

I honestly would consider cancelling HBO Now if there is a new HBO Max app, just because I hate the app so much.
Old 04-21-20, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,752 Posts

I’ve been wanting to revisit The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but I never felt the urge to pick up the DVD box set or spend money on the SD digital copy. So I’m glad I can do it on here.
Old 04-21-20, 09:26 AM

Received 4,754 Likes on 3,220 Posts

I’m still waiting to see if my cable subscriber is going to include it. If they don’t I guess I’ll have to cancel HBO with them.
Old 04-21-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,550 Likes on 4,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
From what I read, if you are HBO Now subscriber, it basically converts to that or is in addition to. I assume there will be an app update? The HBO Now app sucks major ass.
If you subscribe to HBO Now directly through HBO (including gift cards) it will convert to HBO Max automatically. If you go through a third party like Amazon, Apple or Google Play, it may not.

And while the HBO Now app is pretty no-frills, it never really bothered me. It's a stable, functional app. What bothers you about it?
Old 04-21-20, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

Looney Tunes Cartoons interests me a bit just to see how it is. Also, The Not Too Late Show With Elmo might be fun to check out. Neither of those are selling me on buying into the service at launch though and are things I’d check out if there was more there I’d want to watch. Maybe if there’s a trial offered I’ll give that a go at some point. Otherwise I already have HBO Go anyways.
Old 04-21-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
Looney Tunes Cartoons interests me a bit just to see how it is. Also, The Not Too Late Show With Elmo might be fun to check out. Neither of those are selling me on buying into the service at launch though and are things I’d check out if there was more there I’d want to watch. Maybe if there’s a trial offered I’ll give that a go at some point. Otherwise I already have HBO Go anyways.
Are you a paid HBO subscriber through your cable company? If so, I believe you will have access to it anyways.
Old 04-21-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
If you subscribe to HBO Now directly through HBO (including gift cards) it will convert to HBO Max automatically. If you go through a third party like Amazon, Apple or Google Play, it may not.

And while the HBO Now app is pretty no-frills, it never really bothered me. It's a stable, functional app. What bothers you about it?
Yes I sub directly. May be the time to start using all those GCs I have accumulated. I have been waiting to see if I had to sub to this separately or if it tied in with HBO Now.

As to, HBO Now, the search is atrocious. I can search for upcoming shows (Westworld was latest) and it doesn't even come up in the search. It lacks profiles and the list feature is garbage. Everything about it is crap. Netflix and Hulu are far more intuitive interfaces.
Old 04-21-20, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yes I sub directly. May be the time to start using all those GCs I have accumulated. I have been waiting to see if I had to sub to this separately or if it tied in with HBO Now.

As to, HBO Now, the search is atrocious. I can search for upcoming shows (Westworld was latest) and it doesn't even come up in the search. It lacks profiles and the list feature is garbage. Everything about it is crap. Netflix and Hulu are far more intuitive interfaces.
Are you talking about the console app? That is terribly slow. On the phone it's pretty quick. Agree the lack of profiles is disappointing. Especially for a service that has both Sesame Street and VERY mature adult content.
Old 04-21-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Are you talking about the console app? That is terribly slow. On the phone it's pretty quick. Agree the lack of profiles is disappointing. Especially for a service that has both Sesame Street and VERY mature adult content.
Roku app. Buggy and shitty. I hope they relaunch the app and it is completely redesigned. It is my least favorite streaming app.
Old 04-21-20, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,186 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Are you a paid HBO subscriber through your cable company? If so, I believe you will have access to it anyways.
I work for a cable company and have HBO as part of my cable so get HBO Go that way.
Old 04-21-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts

I thought you only got it if you were with AT&T and/or an HBO Now subscriber (which is direct through HBO). The rest of us cable users go through HBO Go, not HBO Now, and I don't think we're getting it (i.e., those of us who have Fios, Xfniity, etc., and get HBO via them).
Old 04-21-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I thought you only got it if you were with AT&T and/or an HBO Now subscriber (which is direct through HBO). The rest of us cable users go through HBO Go, not HBO Now, and I don't think we're getting it (i.e., will need to pay for a subscription if we want it).
yeah I think you’re right, thanks for the correction. I have DirecTV and forgot about the smaller cable companies or non AT&T providers.

so for you, cancel HBO then you can get Max since it’s the same stuff and more.
Old 04-21-20, 04:48 PM

This is gonna piss off the cable companies, isn't it? Why get HBO through your cable provider when you can get a shit-ton more content for the same price by getting the streaming version directly from HBO instead.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (04-21-20)
Old 04-21-20, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,640 Posts

This is gonna piss off the cable companies, isn't it? Why get HBO through your cable provider when you can get a shit-ton more content for the same price by getting the streaming version directly from HBO instead.
That has to be what they're worried about, but don't they have agreements with most of the major providers to give Max to anyone that has access to Go?
Old 04-21-20, 05:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I dunno, are cable companies still a thing? Honest question. A few years ago I bailed as well as my parents. Now, I can't think of anyone who still uses old school cable with a set top box.
Old 04-21-20, 06:04 PM

I still use cable. I don't think getting rid of it would actually save me that much over all.
Old 04-21-20, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
That has to be what they're worried about, but don't they have agreements with most of the major providers to give Max to anyone that has access to Go?
That doesn't look to be the case :

Old 04-21-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

So if you get HBO through Hulu, Amazon and such, it's a no go for you. You're better off cancelling that.
Old 04-21-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 655 Posts

I don't have AT&T or any cable service (I subscribe to HBO NOW through Roku) but I saw this on reddit and found it in a yahoo.news article also:

Old 04-21-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah getting HBO Now through Roku is considered a 3rd party. Once this launches, you're better off cancelling that Roku subscription.
Old 04-21-20, 07:22 PM

So if you get HBO through Hulu, Amazon and such, it's a no go for you. You're better off cancelling that.
Yes, for now. That was in the FAQ info that was posted a while back.

HBO NOW Subscribers
HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will also get access to WarnerMedia's new offering, HBO Max, at launch for no extra cost. Offer available only to new and existing HBO NOW subscribers who subscribe through hbonow.com and are billed by HBO. Offer not currently available to HBO subscribers that obtain their subscriptions through third-party providers that are authorized to distribute the HBO NOW service.

If your HBO NOW subscription is billed through a third-party subscription provider, stay tuned for more details as we get closer to our launch date.

HBO Subscribers
If you subscribe to HBO through a cable or TV provider, stay tuned for more details as we get closer to our launch date.

AT&T Subscribers
Subscribers who get HBO through AT&T video services (such as AT&T TV or U-Verse TV) will also get access to WarnerMedia's new offering, HBO Max, at no extra charge. Also subscribers of premium AT&T mobile and broadband services, will be offered bundles with HBO Max at no extra charge.
Old 04-22-20, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 295 Posts

Awesome, I have internet 1000, so free for me.
Old 04-22-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 04-23-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I dunno, are cable companies still a thing? Honest question. A few years ago I bailed as well as my parents. Now, I can't think of anyone who still uses old school cable with a set top box.
I do, but mainly because they ("they" meaning Comcast) jack up the price of high-speed Internet so much if you don't bundle cable with it, it's just more cost-effective for me.
Old 04-23-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,640 Posts

It is way easier to cut the cord if you have no interest in sports. If you do have an interest in sports, especially if you live in a major metro area where the sports teams have their own channel, you're out of luck. Of course, this is the perfect time to cut the cord because there are no sports.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.