Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Old 04-12-23, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Originally Posted by b2net
So more content lower quality.
More content, but since it's content I don't want (reality, etc) content value dropped.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (04-13-23)
Old 04-12-23, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
More content, but since it's content I don't want (reality, etc) content value dropped.
Couldn't agree more
Old 04-12-23, 09:34 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The name change is literally the dumbest thing ever. HBO Max makes sense. It's maximum HBO. Max alone as a name is just some kid's name. Like is the WBD CEO's kid named Max or something. Max what? WBD Max? Fine. HBO Max? Perfect. Just Max? Stupid. It needs something else. It's also quite a bit of hubris. HBO is somehow the problem as a brand? Correct me if I'm mistaken but HBO Max subscriber base blows the Discovery Plus subscriber base out of the water, yes? But somehow HBO in the name is turning people off? Oh fuck off.

All that said, if it's just a rebrand I'm still fine with it over all. I just hope this isn't some semantics loophole to separate first run live HBO content down the line. I could conceivably see it being easier to down the line say whoa whoa whoa we never promised HBO content live. Just that this is where it will stream once it's done airing on linear HBO. I hope not.
Old 04-12-23, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,044 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I like how there are some people reacting negatively to the pricing online like it’s going to lead them to the poor house or starve. When some of these same people buy hundreds of dollars of Blu-rays and DVDs every month that they don’t even fucking watch and throw on a shelf or in the closet unopened for years. When here you still get all you can watch content every month for less than the price of one disc. And no one is pressuring you to keep up with everything. It’s simply not possible.
I can only speak for myself, but I was a heavy media collector who now rarely buys anything.
Old 04-12-23, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I don't care what they call it, I just hope (as per the email) that the HBO Max app will become the Max app automatically. Smooth transition.

Once it looks like it's running smoothly I might opt for the $19 level.
Old 04-12-23, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 752 Likes on 615 Posts

I hope it is still free with a Directv HBO subscription
Old 04-12-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 365 Likes on 280 Posts

I want to see the trademark paperwork submitted for “Max” haha

Last edited by MLBFan24; 04-13-23 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-13-23, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 479 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I don't care what they call it, I just hope (as per the email) that the HBO Max app will become the Max app automatically. Smooth transition.

Once it looks like it's running smoothly I might opt for the $19 level.
At least in the Apple ecosystem, the HBONow -> HBOMax was an automatic app upgrade.
Old 04-13-23, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
At least in the Apple ecosystem, the HBONow -> HBOMax was an automatic app upgrade.
I would expect it to go smoothly. The email they sent said there's a possibility I'll have to download the new app.
Old 04-13-23, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I like how there are some people reacting negatively to the pricing online like it’s going to lead them to the poor house or starve. When some of these same people buy hundreds of dollars of Blu-rays and DVDs every month that they don’t even fucking watch and throw on a shelf or in the closet unopened for years. When here you still get all you can watch content every month for less than the price of one disc. And no one is pressuring you to keep up with everything. It’s simply not possible.
I'll be honest, I've never watched anything on Max in 4k so I'm not even sure what's available (but I get why people who do watch in 4k hate the trend towards the Netflix "standard").

Most of the reaction to the pricing is fear that they will take away the bundled with HBO channel option (for most major providers, it seems not yet) and/or the freebies like the grandfathered AT&T subs (still up in the air).

My main concern is that they've showed with stuff like Westworld that HBO originals weren't safe from being purged from the service and monetized elsewhere, so moving away from the HBO brand entirely would seem to be like an easy way to hasten that to make a bit more extra. Every time I see a digital sale on WB titles I think "this is why they removed it from HBO Max" and resist.
Old 04-13-23, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 831 Likes on 612 Posts

Hulu just sent me an email that the price is going up on May 17th to $15.99. I subscribe to HBO Max via Hulu.
Old 04-13-23, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Hulu just sent me an email that the price is going up on May 17th to $15.99. I subscribe to HBO Max via Hulu.
The price of Hulu is increasing or the price of Max is?
Old 04-13-23, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by randian
The price of Hulu is increasing or the price of Max is?
The price of Max. I wrote it on my original post (I subscribed to HBO Max via Hulu).
Old 04-13-23, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,156 Posts

It's natural for folks to be pissed about price hikes and changes to things they pay for. What's so hard to understand? Not everyone is sittin' on a ton of money and this pass time is getting expensive while seeming to not offer what is used too.
Old 04-13-23, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It's natural for folks to be pissed about price hikes and changes to things they pay for. What's so hard to understand? Not everyone is sittin' on a ton of money and this pass time is getting expensive while seeming to not offer what is used too.
Especially when gas prices, eggs, and everything else is going up in price.
Giantrobo (04-13-23)
Old 04-18-23, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I hope it is still free with a Directv HBO subscription
i doubt it because one of reason that they came up with MAX was because everyone was getting it for free from directv
Old 04-18-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by lacubs
i doubt it because one of reason that they came up with MAX was because everyone was getting it for free from directv
What makes you say that (or why directv specifically)? As far as I know you only got it free with DirecTV if you have HBO and as I posted before, that's going to continue, see here:
https://www.max.com/faq/ways-to-get/index.html

Now whether it remains free with legacy AT&T accounts is something else entirely.
Old 04-18-23, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Yeah, I hope they don't, but I absolutely expect them to remove it as a freebie from at least some AT&T customers. (I get it because I have AT&T Fiber internet).
If I no longer get it free, I will have to seriously think about cancelling. Not that it's oh so much necessarily (although "anything", from "nothing", is a big increase), but that paying for something that used to be 'free' AND feeling like I'm about capped out on streaming services means I will be wanting to do some serious churn. Plus I'm still ticked they cancelled so much of the animation. If so, maybe I'll resub when the next seasons of Ghosts and Righteous Gemstones come out.

The name "Max". Argh. On the one hand, it seems weird they're tossing a name that meant so much. But on the other hand, and as a devil's advocate to myself, "HBO" was huge in Cable Premium Channels. I'm betting most of us have had cable (or satellite) for a good chunk of our lives, maybe even still do, or have had it in the last 5 or so years.
There's a lot of people younger than us who have either never had cable/satellite, or it didn't play the role in their media consumption it did for us. "HBO" means much less to them. But "MAX" and "PLUS" and "i" and all those, those are modern e-speak buzzwords that "mean" something. I still hate "Max" and think it's bland and generic but I can see why they decided "HBO" isn't the marquee name it used to be, for a large portion of the streaming population. And it allows them to sell off that previous HBO content.

The last physical-only releases I purchased were Alice Cooper Welcome to my Nightmare and Pink Floyd the Wall. Otherwise I buy digitally. I prefer to buy physical if it has digital included and doesn't cost much more than digital only. But i definitely buy random digital for five bucks, or 8 or so bucks for a tv season. (That said, my purchasing, physical or digital, has really decreased. Between my current library in both formats and streaming stuff, there aren't as many gotta-have titles for me.)
Old 04-18-23, 07:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts

I love all these premium streaming services that give you you the app for free if you pay for cable. I know that’ll change in time, but love it for now.
Old 04-19-23, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

With the name change it'll be easier flr more HBO shows to get dropped
Old 04-19-23, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
With the name change it'll be easier flr more HBO shows to get dropped
Which makes it easier not to subscribe.
Old 05-01-23, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get HBO with your cable or satellite TV package, you may have access to Max at no extra cost.
Old 05-01-23, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 612 Likes on 442 Posts

The hotel we are in has hbo and that notice popped up in between programs.
Old 05-02-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

What's the plan for Looney Tunes?

Would it be better just to subscribe to Boomerang streaming service?
Giantrobo (05-05-23)
Old 05-02-23, 05:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by lacubs
If you get HBO with your cable or satellite TV package, you may have access to Max at no extra cost.
same as it’s always been.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.