https://press.wbd.com/us/brands/max/media-releases
Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Old 06-11-20, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts
Re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service launches May 2020

Originally Posted by fujishig
Doesn't seem like it's just DC. The Hobbit movies are leaving soon (including the one they just put up), as is Titanic, Braveheart, the Lego Movie, Lego Batman, etc. None of these are leaving because they are leaving HBO (the channel), these are their own properties.

Maybe they're just preexisting agreements, but it seems to me like either this is some kind of stupid strategy so that people don't just cherry pick the service every few months (which is so insanely dumb) or they still want to milk money out of their properties and don't have faith in this service to be the destination for people seeking their properties out.
Titanic and Braveheart aren’t. But yeah, I said from the start that their top franchises should be mainstays. Are they going to someday decide to rotate out Harry Potter?
Old 06-11-20, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Titanic and Braveheart aren’t. But yeah, I said from the start that their top franchises should be mainstays. Are they going to someday decide to rotate out Harry Potter?
Oh weird, I wonder why those two aren't labeled as "HBO" then.
Old 06-11-20, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,729 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I saw a movie pundit say today that she thinks Warner Media basically put up movies that they did not have long-term licensing agreements for and they were only given xx period of time to have them at launch. And that's why they have to be pulled for now.

I'm not an Entertainment Lawyer, so I don't understand all the intricacies with streaming licensing, but to me that makes the most sense. I know for 99% of the public, that makes no sense and I've read comments calling it a bait and switch. Some simply don't get how WB movies can't stay on a WB service for perpetuity.

For all we know, some of these movies have to return to pre-exiting agreements with TNT, USA, FX, AMC, Vudu or even Netflix that were signed long before HBO Max came to fruition.

I recall the original Batman movies were pulled from DC Universe to stream ad supported on Vudu. Hell, Superman Returns is currently on Netflix and that has never been on DC Universe.

It's complicated and convoluted.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-11-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw a movie pundit say today that she thinks Warner Media basically put up movies that they did not have long-term licensing agreements for and they were only given xx period of time to have them at launch. And that's why they have to be pulled for now.

I'm not an Entertainment Lawyer, so I don't understand all the intricacies with streaming licensing, but to me that makes the most sense. I know for 99% of the public, that makes no sense and I've read comments calling it a bait and switch. Some simply don't get how WB movies can't stay on a WB service for perpetuity.

For all we know, some of these movies have to return to pre-exiting agreements with TNT, USA, FX, AMC, Vudu or even Netflix that were signed long before HBO Max came to fruition.

I recall the original Batman movies were pulled from DC Universe to stream ad supported on Vudu. Hell, Superman Returns is currently on Netflix and that has never been on DC Universe.

It's complicated and convoluted.
Like I said, if it's contracts that they signed a long time ago, so be it, Disney has the same problem. But I don't think that's it, I think their strategy is to make money by continuing to license out their stuff and/or rotate it.

Case in point: I don't see a reason why the animated specials that are on DC Universe aren't all on HBO Max. Now as a DC Universe subscriber, I'd want to say it's because they want people to value DC Universe, but I'm not even sure they advertise the service all that much. At the very least, I don't understand how BTAS, STAS and Justice League wasn't on Max day one.
Old 06-18-20, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Scoob! Coming to HBO Max

Old 06-18-20, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts

Glad I didn’t rent it for 25 bucks!
Old 06-18-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I know a lot of families that had to rent Trolls 2 multiple times to entertain the kids. Same kids that didn't even make it through Scoob! so yeah this makes sense
Old 06-18-20, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,392 Likes on 4,377 Posts

Ditto!
Old 06-18-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unlike trolls, I didn't think this one had premium pricing for rental... I'm pretty sure I bought it for 20 bucks on release, or near that.
Old 06-18-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 616 Likes on 443 Posts

Yay?
Old 06-18-20, 03:17 PM

Unlike trolls, I didn't think this one had premium pricing for rental... I'm pretty sure I bought it for 20 bucks on release, or near that.
It was $20 to rent, $25 to buy. VUDU gave a $3 Preorder credit.
Old 06-19-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
It was $20 to rent, $25 to buy. VUDU gave a $3 Preorder credit.
Ah, that's what it was. But yeah I probably could have held off if I knew we could watch it for free a month later.
Old 06-23-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

You should be. It's AWFUL (and I'm a big Scooby-Doo fan).
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (06-23-20)
Old 06-23-20, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

So almost 4 weeks later and still no sign of a Roku or Amazon app.

Luckily I have an Apple TV so I can watch it, but we're getting pretty close to the July 31st deadline where HBO Go goes away. Then those guys are screwed because they want to segue all HBO cable subscribers to Max.
Old 06-23-20, 05:39 PM

Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Every time this thread gets bumped, I hope it's a Roku app announcement. I really thought it would be worked out in the first week or two. But unfortunately, it seems that HBO is willing to wait it out.

I wasn't able to cancel in time last month. But I'm definitely cancelling before my next billing date.
Old 06-23-20, 06:02 PM

Insane that they can't get a deal done with Roku. Boggles the mind.
Old 06-23-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Luckily I have an Apple TV so I can watch it, but we're getting pretty close to the July 31st deadline where HBO Go goes away. Then those guys are screwed because they want to segue all HBO cable subscribers to Max.
I do think that that deadline will motivate one side or the other to get moving, but it's a game of chicken at this point. We do know that the apps are ready to go the instant they sign that deal.
Old 06-23-20, 06:11 PM

I do think that that deadline will motivate one side or the other to get moving, but it's a game of chicken at this point. We do know that the apps are ready to go the instant they sign that deal.
HBO Go goes away, but HBO Now will still exist right? I mean they're the same thing, so it's not really any sort of a deadline regarding HBO Max.
Old 06-23-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

HBO Go goes away, but HBO Now will still exist right? I mean they're the same thing, so it's not really any sort of a deadline regarding HBO Max.
If you subscribe to HBO through your cable provider or whatever, you have HBO Go (and probably Max) but not HBO Now (I don't think) so not having Go and Max means that they won't be able to watch HBO on their streaming box at all.

Man just typing out that sentence was painful, what a mess in terms of branding.
Old 06-23-20, 06:34 PM

If you subscribe to HBO through your cable provider or whatever, you have HBO Go (and probably Max) but not HBO Now (I don't think) so not having Go and Max means that they won't be able to watch HBO on their streaming box at all.

Man just typing out that sentence was painful, what a mess in terms of branding.
It was my assumption that getting HBO through your (non-ATT-owned) cable provider would like never give you HBO Max and that was the basic gist of the new service (i.e. the IQ test that they joked about) -- you can get all the HBO content by subscribing to HBO through your cable company, but if you pay that identical $14.99 to HBO directly (and they keep it all), then you can get all the additional Max content for the same price. I don't understand why they keep HBO Now as a "thing" except to allow people who have HBO Max to watch HBO content on a Roku until a deal gets done here. Besides that, it has no reason to exist.
Old 06-23-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 833 Likes on 614 Posts

I can only watch HBO Max on my PS4 in my bedroom and ipad. I would really like to watch it on the Roku in the living room. I have HBO through Hulu so I can watch HBO content in my living room, but I would live to be able to watch Max content in there too. Roku must be playing hardball like they did with Fox before the Super Bowl.
Old 06-23-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was my assumption that getting HBO through your (non-ATT-owned) cable provider would like never give you HBO Max and that was the basic gist of the new service (i.e. the IQ test that they joked about) -- you can get all the HBO content by subscribing to HBO through your cable company, but if you pay that identical $14.99 to HBO directly (and they keep it all), then you can get all the additional Max content for the same price. I don't understand why they keep HBO Now as a "thing" except to allow people who have HBO Max to watch HBO content on a Roku until a deal gets done here. Besides that, it has no reason to exist.
But they signed deals with a lot of non ATT providers (but not all). That's why you can sign in with this long list of providers.

Bottom line is if they remove HBO Go from Roku and Fire TV and don't put Max on there, HBO subscribers (who are not Now subscribers) won't be allowed to view their content on either box at all. Neither side wants that.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (06-23-20)
Old 06-23-20, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s crazy to me that they still don’t have a deal with Roku or Amazon.

Has anyone seen any reports about the number of subscribers they have a month in now? It’s gotta be waaaaaay down from what Disney+ pulled at their launch.
Old 06-24-20, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk God

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/ju...-hbo-max-july/

The DCEU movies that were scheduled to leave will now stay until at least the end of the year.

The others will still rotate out.
Old 06-24-20, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

I'll probably stick out HBOMax for another month as I'm on a rewatch of the early BBT seasons. I should have picked up the series last month when it was down to $80 on iTunes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.