https://press.wbd.com/us/brands/max/media-releases
Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Old 05-27-20, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 482 Likes on 333 Posts
Re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service launches May 2020

Originally Posted by DJariya
Now up on iOS for iPad, Apple TV and such. It looks like the old HBO Now app updated.
Yes... I had to go into the AppStore and select HBOMax and the update button popped up.

Kicked off the service with Road Runner v Wile E. Coyote (Super Genius)
Old 05-27-20, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Does anyone have a link for hbomax.com/tvsignin ?

I need to put in a code to activate my Samsung tv.
Old 05-27-20, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Uncensored Rick and Morty makes me happy.

5 devices/3 concurrent streams.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Uncensored Rick and Morty makes me happy.
Yes... yes it does!
Old 05-27-20, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 723 Posts

Is this a separate service or does having HBO via your TV service give you access to Max?
Old 05-27-20, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

So I updated the app on my iphone and logged in via that and my desktop. I guess I'll have to update the app on my Apple TV to stream content from that. For some reason I was under the impression that I would be navigating it through the Hulu platform.
Old 05-27-20, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is this a separate service or does having HBO via your TV service give you access to Max?
Depends on your TV provider.

For brand new HBO customers, pricing is straightforward. You just sign up, and pay the $15 monthly cost. But if you already pay for HBO, the question of whether you get a free upgrade to HBO Max has no simple answer. Some people who already have a regular HBO subscription or HBO Now will get Max for no extra cost -- but not everyone.

In order for you to get the automatic upgrade to Max, HBO needs to strike a deal with the company that's already billing you for HBO, whether it's a cable-TV company like Charter or a digital provider like Apple. HBO Max has been ramping up these deals, and there's a growing list of providers that are letting their HBO customers upgrade to Max. (See the full list below.)

But HBO Max doesn't have deals with every provider. Comcast, for example, is the biggest cable company in the country, and HBO Max hasn't announced a deal for any of its Xfinity-based HBO customers yet. If you're in that boat, you could be forced to choose: either pay twice -- one bill for regular HBO and another for HBO Max -- or cancel your current HBO subscription to re-sign up for Max.

On top of that, HBO Max isn't available on some of the most important devices either. Neither Roku nor Amazon Fire TV have been confirmed to have an HBO Max app -- together, they represent an eye-popping 70% of the streaming devices in the country. And if HBO Max users are anything like people who stream Netflix, the vast majority of viewing hours will be on televisions. Ask Quibi if you want a sense of how consumers feel when they can't stream big-budget programming to their TVs.
Old 05-27-20, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I didn't get any email or notice, but I went into my AT&T account and they had a big applet "HBO Max on us, click here!" Setup of the account wasn't too bad, looks like I need to use the Max app instead of going through Hulu and use my existing password.
Unfortunately, on three TVs and at least 11 ways to watch stuff, it looks like I only have one that will currently work for Max (Xbox, since Roku and LGTVs aren't supported yet, and even subbing through Hulu requires the app.)
This is really confusing, both in terms of account and access.
Old 05-27-20, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Logged into AT&T internet, got the pop up to activate, signed in to HBO Max. Took a few attempts though. Clean layout, I like the featured and A-Z option. Lots of movies I want to watch. Now I they can just do a deal with Roku.
Old 05-27-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

The biggest question is are there profiles?

Edit: just checked it out on my phone. There are! Yay
Old 05-27-20, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yes.
Old 05-27-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 833 Likes on 614 Posts

I started browsing the site this morning and I really like the TCM section. Lots of classic movies on there to stream.
stingermck (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20, 09:31 AM

On my iPhone it remembers the profile but on my Apple TV if you close and relaunch the app it makes you select the profile again. It's only day one so hopefully they'll fix that soon.
Old 05-27-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones

Edit: just checked it out on my phone. There are! Yay
Are the profile pictures not loading or something or are they really just like slightly different colors for the circles?
Old 05-27-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Are the profile pictures not loading or something or are they really just like slightly different colors for the circles?
Looks like just different color circles for me.
Old 05-27-20, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 169 Posts

It's crazy that it's launch day and people still have to jump through hoops to see if they get this with their package or will have to sign up as a new member?
Old 05-27-20, 10:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep. I have AT&T internet and Hulu. Still not sure which I get free or included. I think if I get this free through AT&T, then I can cancel my HBO/Hulu add-on - I think.
Old 05-27-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Yes... I had to go into the AppStore and select HBOMax and the update button popped up.

Kicked off the service with Road Runner v Wile E. Coyote (Super Genius)
My iPad didn’t update, and the HBO Max app in the store would just open HBO Now. I thought about deleting the old app, but then I finally got the update button.

On the Xbox, I had to find Max in the App Store before it started updating.

So now I’m poking around and added the Anna Kendrick series to my list. Not surprised that it didn’t carry over my HBO list. This makes me appreciate Vudu’s ability to create sub-lists even more.

Odd that the ‘80s Batmans, a Hobbit movie, and the LEGO Movie are in the Last Chance section. I figured those would be WB staples.
Old 05-27-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Internet 1000 should get Max for free. Other plans can get a month free.
I did cancel HBO on Hulu but Max has got to be accessible on some other devices.
If would be nice if HBOMax subscription also got you HBO (Now? Go? Then?). Then I could at least access "regular" HBO on those other devices.

Yeah, I noticed that too - how can there be "last chance" for a streaming service that just started?

Not a big Crunchyroll or Adult Swim collection. Lot of TCM stuff which is cool. Although "classic" is generously defined sometimes

I do like that, at least on Xbox, when going into Title Details from a list then going back to the list, it remembers where you were you instead of starting the list over (like Hulu browsing does).

5 devices doesn't really sound like much, although I'm OK with 3 concurrent streams.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 05-27-20 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Internet 1000 should get Max for free. Other plans can get a month free.
I did cancel HBO on Hulu but Max has got to be accessible on some other devices.
If would be nice if HBOMax subscription also got you HBO (Now? Go? Then?). Then I could at least access "regular" HBO on those other devices.

Yeah, I noticed that too - how can there be "last chance" for a streaming service that just started?

Not a big Crunchyroll or Adult Swim collection. Lot of TCM stuff which is cool. Although "classic" is generously defined sometimes

I do like that, at least on Xbox, when going into Title Details from a list then going back to the list, it remembers where you were you instead of starting the list over (like Hulu browsing does).

5 devices doesn't really sound like much, although I'm OK with 3 concurrent streams.
Disney + also had several things removed after a month or so, so at least they're being upfront about it.
Crunchyroll stuff was always going to be a selection or they'd cannibalize that app's subscriber base.

Does this mean Now is dead (seeing as how the Max app replaced it)? I'm not sure why they didn't say that some time ago when this naming confusion first began (HBO Now is becoming... HBO Max! Now with original series and more content than ever at the same price!)

edited to add: I guess for the platforms that they're not supporting they still need Now. Still needlessly confusing, along with the "who knows if I'm getting this for free or not" nonsense.
Old 05-27-20, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Seems like a holdover from the NOW/GO days. Films rotated in and out each month. They aren't discontinuing NOW/GO for now so that may be the reason.
Old 05-27-20, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I am thinking about it if Amazon and HBO ever reach an agreement.

Can you guys tell me if it has all the shows/movies from Boomerang? I know it has some Hanna-Barbera content but I am wondering if I can drop Boomerang. Things like

The Man Called Flinstone
The two Jonny Quest Movies
The old Yogi Bear movies
etc.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I am thinking about it if Amazon and HBO ever reach an agreement.

Can you guys tell me if it has all the shows/movies from Boomerang? I know it has some Hanna-Barbera content but I am wondering if I can drop Boomerang. Things like

The Man Called Flinstone
The two Jonny Quest Movies
The old Yogi Bear movies
etc.

Thanks!
I couldn't find any of these (the Jonny Quest and Yogi Bear Show series are there, but not the movies that I could see). I wouldn't expect deep cuts here, at least not yet.
mewmartigan (05-27-20)
Old 05-27-20, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,731 Likes on 2,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Seems like a holdover from the NOW/GO days. Films rotated in and out each month. They aren't discontinuing NOW/GO for now so that may be the reason.
I would expect most of the big Hollywood movies to be rotated in and out (as they do on HBO)

Old 05-27-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts

-Ghibli films come up in a search for “Ghibli,” which is great. Vudu doesn’t do that (other than the pack with Ghibli in its title).
-Beware the Batman is included but not other animated Bat series.
-Nice to see the Chaplin feature in the TCM area.
-The TCM area (at least for me) starts with a musicals widget that has a pretty bizarre selection: American in Paris, but then Little Shop of Horrors, Xanadu, really obscure Busby Berkeley movies. This when they have Singin’ in the Rain and other classics available. Nice that they included Criterion titles (Hard Day’s Night, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, though)
-They really need “similar titles” on each item page. And a cast list that is clickable rather than text. I assume this is HBO holdover stuff.
-Nice that episode titles come up in search (will be handy during the holidays) and that episodes can be added to the watch list.
-Jetsons (including a movie) and Flintstones but no Wacky Races

Originally Posted by DJariya
I would expect most of the big Hollywood movies to be rotated in and out (as they do on HBO)
That seems like a natural holdover from HBO but I was surprised they’d do that with the big WB titles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.