Where to find What's New and Leaving each month on MAX:
https://press.wbd.com/us/brands/max/media-releases
Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Old 02-01-23, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service

Generation S1 is also up on Tubi from HBO Max. Wife and I enjoyed this one and done.
Old 02-01-23, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Don’t wanna jinx it but some animated shows that were announced as being gone last night are still streaming on HBOMAX
Old 02-01-23, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
re: Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

If you were hoping to catch up on Pennyworth: The Origin of Batman's Butler, you better hurry. It was just cancelled today. Who knows how long HBO Max will keep it.

Old 02-02-23, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Between HBO Max and Showtime/Paramount+ removing and dumping programs en masse, and Netflix's anti-password sharing measures, it seems like they're really wanting to push people to use t******s.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (02-04-23)
Old 02-03-23, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Between HBO Max and Showtime/Paramount+ removing and dumping programs en masse, and Netflix's anti-password sharing measures, it seems like they're really wanting to push people to use t******s.
I think it's more that the relatively cheap prices we've been paying are unsustainable in the long run, at least for the amount of content they're putting out.
Old 02-03-23, 05:52 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

After 15+ years of asking her on and off if we can get HBO, my wife now wants HBO to watch The Last of Us. Okay. I'll take it how I can get it.

Any good deals out there for no-ads version? We have Amazon Prime, Hulu, Roku, Paramount+, Netflix, Disney+, if any of those are part of how to get a deal. Seems like the way to go is directly at $150/year.
Old 02-03-23, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by story
After 15+ years of asking her on and off if we can get HBO, my wife now wants HBO to watch The Last of Us. Okay. I'll take it how I can get it.

Any good deals out there for no-ads version? We have Amazon Prime, Hulu, Roku, Paramount+, Netflix, Disney+, if any of those are part of how to get a deal. Seems like the way to go is directly at $150/year.

If you have Comcast most if not all of HBO content is free for a week or so.

Otherwise 🤷🏼‍♂️
Old 02-03-23, 06:04 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

We do not have cable, no.
Old 02-03-23, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Whose your ISP? I know I still have it free as an AT&T Fiber Internet subscriber.

But none of those you listed are running deals on HBO Max.
Old 02-03-23, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Yeah, I get it free from my AT&T phone.
Phodg (02-13-23)
Old 02-03-23, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

$149.99 seems to be the standard 1 year no ads price right now. If you order through their website.

Old 02-03-23, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I get it free from my AT&T phone.
That's on a grandfathered plan though (I have the same thing). I don't think they offer it any more, especially since AT&T sold HBO off.
Old 02-04-23, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

One year of HBO Max with ads for $70:

https://www.hbomax.com/redeem?code=PSTLOU

Most HBO Max originals (like the Last of Us) do not air with ads.
Old 02-04-23, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Prime Video will give you a 7 day free trial for HBO Max when subscribing as a "channel." It'd be $15.99 a month after the trial.
Amazon Amazon

Maybe you should ask if you really need a full year of HBO Max, or really most of those services you subscribe to. Sure, you'll save around $42 paying for a full year upfront, but you could watch all of The Last of Us and a lot of other exclusive HBO/Max content in, say, a 2 month span, which would save you $118 over pre-paying for a full year. And while you're binging HBO Max, do you also need Hulu, Disney+, Paramount+, Netflix for those two months?
Old 02-04-23, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Prime Video will give you a 7 day free trial for HBO Max when subscribing as a "channel." It'd be $15.99 a month after the trial.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0B8TQTLK1/

Maybe you should ask if you really need a full year of HBO Max, or really most of those services you subscribe to. Sure, you'll save around $42 paying for a full year upfront, but you could watch all of The Last of Us and a lot of other exclusive HBO/Max content in, say, a 2 month span, which would save you $118 over pre-paying for a full year. And while you're binging HBO Max, do you also need Hulu, Disney+, Paramount+, Netflix for those two months?
Yeah, if price is an issue, people would be wise to stagger their streaming services. Get Netflix one month, Disney+ the next month, HBO Max the month after that, then Prime, then Paramount+ the next.

Just subscribe to a service like Netflix during a month when there's something you really want to see, like Stranger Things, then catch up with everything else. Then get Amazon Prime when something like Rings of Power or The Boys is streaming. (Just using these series as examples.)

Really, there is so little A-list content on any of these services that folks are just wasting money on them during the "dry" months. Even Disney+ has dry periods without new Marvel or Star Wars content, and Paramount+ hasn't had new Trek for a couple of months. It's sort of a waste to subscribe to a half a dozen streaming services all year long when the good content is spread out so far. Outside of Disney+ (Marvel, Star Wars) and Paramount+ (Star Trek), I find that the other streaming services don't really offer a lot of worthwhile year-round content that interests me. The others only have maybe three "must watch" series per year, if even that.
Jay G. (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

If you only watch streaming services for big IP genre TV content, of course you’re not going to have enough coming out year round. HBO has so much that comes out every month. Movies that you may have missed and other dramas, documentaries and more. $12 plus per month for the year price, which nowadays is one fast food meal and cheaper than most 4K discs is more than worth it to have that kind of library at your fingertips.

I know not everyone is interested in the same thing, but IMO Paramount plus is more than just a Star Trek streaming service.

But in the end it’s up to you and the time you have and if you can spare than $150 for your entertainment budget.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-04-23 at 11:17 AM.
Why So Blu? (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you only watch streaming services for big IP genre TV content, of course you’re not going to have enough coming out year round.
When it comes to streaming, my interest is nearly all for original content. I don't have a lot of interest in bingeing Friends reruns or old movies.

And catalog content tends to jump around from service to service a lot, and it's a pain in the ass to keep track of it.

This actually makes me wonder if there's a database somewhere that keeps track of where all of the streaming content is, so someone could just go the site, enter a title, and see if it's currently available on a streaming platform.

Old 02-04-23, 07:03 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

This actually makes me wonder if there's a database somewhere that keeps track of where all of the streaming content is, so someone could just go the site, enter a title, and see if it's currently available on a streaming platform.
https://www.justwatch.com/
The following 4 users liked this post by dex14:
Boondock Saint (02-05-23), Jay G. (02-04-23), Josh-da-man (02-06-23), Why So Blu? (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

When it comes to streaming, my interest is nearly all for original content. I don't have a lot of interest in bingeing Friends reruns or old movies.

And catalog content tends to jump around from service to service a lot, and it's a pain in the ass to keep track of it.

https://reelgood.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by randian:
Jay G. (02-04-23), Josh-da-man (02-06-23)
Old 02-06-23, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean you try convincing my kids that they can live without access to Bluey any month of the year.

My intention when Disney+ came out was to cancel Netflix and only sub like twice a year, and my kids torpedoed that too. But yeah if it were just me, I'd just rotate services.
Old 02-06-23, 11:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

JustWatch and ReelGood were already mentioned, but Plex does this too. You have to select which apps you want results for (curated to the subs you have I guess), and then when you do a search, it shows you where it can be watched, and depending on your device, may even open that app for you. I haven't used this feature much, but it seems decent enough.
Old 02-06-23, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I use JustWatch on a daily basis. Helps me keep track of new episodes in my watch list you can set up for movies and shows.
Old 02-06-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I use JustWatch on a daily basis. Helps me keep track of new episodes in my watch list you can set up for movies and shows.
I honestly don't see how anyone can navigate streaming without something like JustWatch. Though as a Plex user I'm eager to try that option out.

Like oftentimes the service itself doesn't do a good job of advertising what they got besides the really big titles. Amazon Prime in particular gets a boatload of changes every other day that you would never know if you don't check JustWatch.
Old 02-07-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-07-23, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

For those who missed out on Lovecraft Country before HBO Max pulled it, it can be purchased for $7.99, along with one other feature from a selection of WB movies for $4.99, at Fanflix.co as part of their Black History Month Special

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.