Reload this Page >

HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service

Old 09-10-22, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service

The cigar was also removed from the art for The Life and Times of Roy Bean.
Old 09-10-22, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
The cigar was also removed from the art for The Life and Times of Roy Bean.
I don't think this is exclusive to HBO Max. This is how it appears on iTunes:

https://tv.apple.com/us/movie/the-li...01%3A337382484

So it's probably WBD's marketing department in general removing them in new promotional materials, rather than something specifically for HBO Max.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
emachine12 (09-10-22), John Pannozzi (09-11-22)
Old 09-10-22, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Looks like Roy Bean is giving the chef's kiss to a guy he just hanged.
Old 09-11-22, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,510 Posts

My DirecTV promo for HBO Max expires tomorrow. It would go back to regular $14.99/month pricing. I cancelled it off DirecTV and signed up directly with HBO Max with the new discount $104.99 for the year. My AMEX card also has a promo to get $25 off a $100 or more HBO Max purchase. And that was effective with this transaction.

Grand total= $79.99 for a year and about $6.67 per month. That works for me.

I also activated the Rakuten $16 back promo as well. So that could take more money off.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-11-22 at 10:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Kurt D (09-11-22), Why So Blu? (09-12-22)
Old 09-13-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,221 Likes on 947 Posts

Here come the layoffs:

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/13/lay...bros-discovery

though this is mainly the ad sales team.
Old 09-15-22, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Batman The Audio Adventures Season 2 coming soon.

Old 09-16-22, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The big rumor now is that NBC is interested in buying WB (though no deal can happen until next year):
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ch-1235221804/
All these issues pale next to the biggest question hovering over any top job at WBD: How long will this gig last? The company is grappling with that heavy debt load and skeptical investors. One former Zaslav exec recently received a letter from a due-diligence firm on behalf of an unspecified client, asking for his evaluation of Zaslav’s leadership style, strategic plans and likelihood of success. That could suggest various possibilities — a potential acquirer digging around, a dissident shareholder sniffing for weakness, a hedge fund trying to place a bet. So much uncertainty.

Given the company’s daunting challenges, it has become accepted wisdom at the highest levels of the industry that another deal waits in the wings for Warner Bros. Discovery. For reasons related to the complicated structure of that merger, no negotiations can happen until April 2024. But at that point, many industry observers believe that Comcast’s Brian Roberts will make a long-awaited move, looking to combine NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. Discovery.

That deal would face some interesting antitrust issues but would give his company scale and a viable streaming service. “Obviously Peacock sucks,” says one exec with knowledge of both companies. “There are some good synergies. I’m sure [Roberts] is licking his chops because the [WBD] stock is so low. And I think that’s Zaslav’s endgame. Get the place sold.” (Roberts and NBCU CEO Jeff Shellmet with Zaslav and board member John Maloneduring the Allen & Co. gathering in Sun Valley last July, but given the rules against plotting any combination, that was no doubt just a friendly get-together.) A WBD spokesperson responds: “We are building Warner Bros. Discovery for the long term.”

Many top industry execs are so convinced a deal will happen that some are pre-mourning an event that may never happen. “People feel like it’s Comcast for sure,” says the head of one company. “It’s going to be so depressing to lose another major studio [after Disney bought Fox]. And Warners was the Tiffany studio.”
I mean Zaslav's cost cutting and bridge burning does look like an effort to sell (especially because after the sale the bridges can be mended, so burning bridges now doesn't really hurt the sale of the company). But man if that happens AEW kind of gets screwed and we have more consolidation.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 795 Likes on 649 Posts

Cripes, WB is just being passed around like a hot potato.
Old 09-16-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

Soon all studios will be owned by one company-
Clusterfuck Entertainment Enterprises.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 517 Likes on 445 Posts

It'll be a sad day when WB gets bought out by a rival.
Old 09-16-22, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 854 Likes on 603 Posts

WB is the town bicycle. Everyone gets a ride!
Old 09-19-22, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 570 Posts

Just re-subscribed with a different email. 104.99 is still the price and is only good for 1 year. You just have to resync to your devices and re-populate your viewing queue.
Old 09-19-22, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Old 09-19-22, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 216 Likes on 168 Posts

I’ll watch that.
Old 09-19-22, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 870 Likes on 632 Posts

Has a pretty good cast and did well at the BO.
Old 09-21-22, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Superpets was REALLY fun...it's got the kind of tone I wish the live-action DC movies had. Worth a watch.
Old 09-22-22, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
WB is the town bicycle. Everyone gets a ride!
Yeah, it's so weird. Warners is one of the big media companies -- Paramount, Disney, Universal, Warner -- but it's always getting sold off to these other companies like AOL, AT&T, and now Discovery -- and I'm thinking that should really be the other way around.

It's like, how the fuck does AOL buy Warners? Shouldn't Warners be the ones to buy AOL? And the Discovery Channel? Don't even get me started...

It just makes Warners look pathetic.

I mean, Warners fucking owns Superman and Batman, easily the two most recognizable pop culture icons that aren't Mickey Mouse. But they're like the ugly girl who puts out easy and gets passed around every weekend.
Old 09-22-22, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 689 Likes on 557 Posts

After NBC gets its ride, I fully expect Apple to buy the whole package
Old 09-22-22, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, it's so weird. Warners is one of the big media companies -- Paramount, Disney, Universal, Warner -- but it's always getting sold off to these other companies like AOL, AT&T, and now Discovery -- and I'm thinking that should really be the other way around.

It's like, how the fuck does AOL buy Warners? Shouldn't Warners be the ones to buy AOL? And the Discovery Channel? Don't even get me started...

It just makes Warners look pathetic.

I mean, Warners fucking owns Superman and Batman, easily the two most recognizable pop culture icons that aren't Mickey Mouse. But they're like the ugly girl who puts out easy and gets passed around every weekend.
Apparently they sold to Discover because there's some kind of tax break when you sell a part of your company to a smaller company (that and you can get through regulatory procedures a lot easier than if you sell to a bigger company with monopoly concerns)
Old 09-22-22, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Well, with AOL, it was technically a merger, so it's not like AOL paid cash or anything. Also, at the time AOL was basically synonymous with the Internet, and had a much larger market cap. However, AOL didn't to anything regarding the transition to home broadband, so after the merger just ended up hemorrhaging dial-up customers as they switched to cable internet and DSL.

And again, with Discover, it was a merger, with AT&T shareholders getting a 71% stake in the new company. It's just that the Discovery suits took over leadership, which AT&T agreed with, so it could be considered AT&T's last killing blow. Also, the new, merged company took a lot of debt off of AT&T's hands.