https://press.wbd.com/us/brands/max/media-releases
Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Old 10-21-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service launches May 2020

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
It might help make the movies more mainstream so that’s good news however in what language will they be streaming at?
One would hope they offer the option of additional language audio and subtitles, like Netflix and other streaming services do.

However, this is AT&T we're talking about.
Old 10-23-19, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...ent-next-week/

AT&T is expected to officially announce price and content next Tuesday at 6pm ET.
Old 10-23-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

I'm hoping it will be comprehensive enough that I can replace my HBO NOW with HBO MAX.
Old 10-23-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

They're producing new Adventure Time specials for the service:
https://tvline.com/2019/10/23/advent...lands-hbo-max/

If they have everything CN-related historically that would be pretty big, at least for my household.
Old 10-25-19, 02:30 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

HBO Max Will Be Free to AT&T’s HBO Subscribers
https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/hbo-max-free-att-hbo-subscribers-1203383481/?fbclid=IwAR0fX1g-jfiWCasM2khV94OcMV1q1FE7RnQQQbeD5WqxqGohqdVjH5x_Zzk&fbclid=IwAR1FAtaLaSkMJDt42gRGCJUrUTMeoTFXInoWwD4CeuAOYZwbu3Eu4kyVVZI

WarnerMedia, looking to jump-start its foray into the streaming wars, will give AT&T customers who subscribe to HBO free access to HBO Max — at least initially.

When it launches in the spring of 2020, HBO Max will be available to about 10 million AT&T customers who also are HBO subscribers for no additional charge, AT&T COO John Stankey said in an interview with Reuters. That would include subscribers of DirecTV and AT&T TV Now. Stankey also said the telco might include HBO Max for free with certain AT&T wireless plans.
Old 10-25-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
HBO Max Will Be Free to AT&T’s HBO Subscribers
https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...Zwbu3Eu4kyVVZI

WarnerMedia, looking to jump-start its foray into the streaming wars, will give AT&T customers who subscribe to HBO free access to HBO Max — at least initially.

When it launches in the spring of 2020, HBO Max will be available to about 10 million AT&T customers who also are HBO subscribers for no additional charge, AT&T COO John Stankey said in an interview with Reuters. That would include subscribers of DirecTV and AT&T TV Now. Stankey also said the telco might include HBO Max for free with certain AT&T wireless plans.
That's interesting. I get HBO free because of some promotion with AT&T's unlimited plan, so I wonder if that translates or if I have to be a paying customer.
Old 10-25-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk God

That's great. I'm both still a DirecTV and HBO subscriber. HBO Max will be a nice extra benefit for an already very expensive TV service.
Old 10-25-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's interesting. I get HBO free because of some promotion with AT&T's unlimited plan, so I wonder if that translates or if I have to be a paying customer.
Im wondering this too

Have HBO free with my phone plan too.

The DirectvNow part is interesting because even though I only have HBO,
ATT mobile gets that to me through DtvNow.
Old 10-25-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I have HBO Now, so I assume I’m screwed.
Old 10-29-19, 06:22 PM

WarnerMedia revealed that HBO Max will debut in May 2020 in the U.S., marketed heavily through parent company AT&T’s existing customer base.

HBO Max is WarnerMedia’s multibillion-dollar bet it can lure consumers into a big new tent at an increasingly crowded streaming bazaar. The new details come just ahead of two other new subscription VOD arrivals — Apple TV Plus (Nov. 1) and Disney Plus (Nov. 12) — with everyone angling to claim territory dominated today by Netflix.

WarnerMedia already revealed that HBO Max will be free for one year to HBO subscribers who have one of AT&T’s TV services, a promo designed to get early buzz going.

“General entertainment streaming is the next great opportunity to aggregate and grow audience,” John Stankey, AT&T’s COO and WarnerMedia’s CEO, said at the company’s splashy media event Tuesday from Warner Bros.’ lot in Burbank.

By 2025, the company believes it can notch 75 million-90 million HBO Max subscribers, including 50 million in the U.S., Stankey said, eyeing the promotional power of its 170 million existing AT&T wireless, broadband and TV customers.

Stankey didn’t reveal pricing in his table-setting remarks at the start of the event, which kicked off at 3 p.m. PT, with those details expected later in the presentation.

AT&T plans to “aggressively market” HBO Max through all its consumer touchpoints for the launch, Stankey said. Out of the gate, HBO Max will be bundled with AT&T TV, the telco’s live TV internet streaming product essentially designed as a replacement for DirecTV. In 2021, the company plans to introduce an ad-supported version of HBO Max, which also will be bundled with AT&T TV.

At launch, HBO Max promises to have some 10,000 hours of premium content. The lineup includes the full complement of HBO’s programming along with new original series available only on HBO Max, licensed TV shows and movies, and library material from WarnerMedia’s properties including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network.

At the event, WarnerMedia announced a slew of new programming coming to HBO Max. That includes exclusive streaming rights to “South Park”; the first three seasons of “Rick & Morty” (with new seasons coming on after airing on Adult Swim); new shows from Elizabeth Banks, Issa Rae and Mindy Kaling; two DC-related projects from producer Greg Berlanti, an adaptation of “Strange Adventures” and a series based on Green Lantern; stand-up specials from Conan O’Brien; and a slate of kids’ programming including a new “Looney Tunes Cartoons” animated series.

In year one, there will be 31 original series on HBO Max, growing to 50 series in 2021, according to Kevin Reilly, chief content officer, HBO Max and president, TBS, TNT, and truTV. Underscoring HBO Max’s focus on “content that matters to viewers,” Reilly said the top 100 titles on streaming services drive half the total usage. Translation: HBO Max is focused on quality, not raw tonnage of content.

As previously announced, HBO Max is getting its hands on the entire runs of “Friends,” “The Big Bang Theory” and “Pretty Little Liars”; the full library of “Sesame Street” as well as the next five seasons; and CW dramas produced by Warner Bros. starting with the fall 2019 season (30 days prior to the TV premiere of the next seasons of the shows).

HBO Max will have 1,800 movies at launch, including all films in “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” franchises — and in year one, titles from DC Entertainment will join them, including every Superman and Batman movie. Recently released hit “The Joker” will be available at launch.

After the initial U.S. launch, AT&T will take HBO Max international — in 2021, it plans to debut localized versions of HBO Max in Latin America and Europe, according to Stankey.

AT&T told investors Monday that it expects to spend $1.5 billion to $2 billion on HBO Max next year and invest a billion in each of the following two years, before hitting profitability in 2024.

It’s unclear how the so-called streaming wars will shake out, but Netflix investors in particular have been unnerved at the prospect of competition with content powerhouses like WarnerMedia, Disney and NBCUniversal. Some analysts believe it’s not a zero-sum game, with room for several big streamers to gain traction — likely at the expense of pay television.
https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...6OMdh0zAw8aN5c
Old 10-29-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service launches May 2020

So May 2020 and 14.99 a month (same as HBO Go)

It's a little confusing but I think they're basically saying if you subscribe to HBO through anything (cable, itunes, whatever) you get upgraded to Max when it comes out. So if you have HBO now, you'll have Max later.

The other thing I found interesting was that they included a Crunchyroll logo on their content, so like a subset of Crunchyroll anime or something? I can't imagine they would just dump everything on there including simulcasts.

Last edited by fujishig; 10-29-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 08:38 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts

The other thing I found interesting was that they included a Crunchyroll logo on their content, so like a subset of Crunchyroll anime or something? I can't imagine they would just dump everything on there including simulcasts.
http://4NN.cx/.148855 (July 10)
Crunchyroll clarified with ANN on Wednesday that only select content from Crunchyroll will be available on HBO Max. Crunchyroll's own platform will remain as the only service to offer the company's full library.
We’re keeping it fresh with new anime every quarter curated by the anime experts @Crunchyroll~ ✨
Old 10-29-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Early list of the original and catalog content coming to HBO Max

https://deadline.com/2019/10/hbo-max...bo-1202772182/

The one original show that I'm really excited for Tokyo Vice. Shot in Japan and directed by Michael Mann
Old 10-29-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Sizzle reel for what's coming

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eASkqrwdg7Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-29-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

So does HBO still exist as a single entity? And if so, is it cheaper now?
Old 10-29-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Apparently it still will, but today the Warnermedia guy called the decision to stick with HBO/HBONOW versus HBOMAX an "IQ test".
Old 10-29-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

It's weird that AT&T is going to keep HBO Go, HBO Now and now HBO Max all running simultaneously. Just seems so redundant. There's really no reason to have HBO Go. They should just merge it with Now and for those with a TV subscription still be able to use their credentials.
Old 10-30-19, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

If you subscribe currently to HBO Now, there is really no reason for you to keep that anymore. You might as well cancel it and sign up for this one and get the HBO content and a shit ton more.
Old 10-30-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

It's a little confusing but I think they're basically saying if you subscribe to HBO through anything (cable, itunes, whatever) you get upgraded to Max when it comes out. So if you have HBO now, you'll have Max later.
No, you either have to subscribe to HBO through AT&T OR directly through HBO (meaning you are billed directly by HBO). If you subscribe to HBO through a third-party provider (like Comcast or Verizon) you are NOT eligible to get HBOMax for free.
Old 10-30-19, 07:19 AM

HBO NOW Subscribers
HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will also get access to WarnerMedia's new offering, HBO Max, at launch for no extra cost. Offer available only to new and existing HBO NOW subscribers who subscribe through hbonow.com and are billed by HBO. Offer not currently available to HBO subscribers that obtain their subscriptions through third-party providers that are authorized to distribute the HBO NOW service.

If your HBO NOW subscription is billed through a third-party subscription provider, stay tuned for more details as we get closer to our launch date.

HBO Subscribers
If you subscribe to HBO through a cable or TV provider, stay tuned for more details as we get closer to our launch date.

AT&T Subscribers
Subscribers who get HBO through AT&T video services (such as AT&T TV or U-Verse TV) will also get access to WarnerMedia's new offering, HBO Max, at no extra charge. Also subscribers of premium AT&T mobile and broadband services, will be offered bundles with HBO Max at no extra charge.
Old 10-30-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I have HBO through Hulu. It sounds like I should just cancel it and subscribe to HBO Max when it launches. Right?
Old 10-30-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I am subscribed through HBO thanks to a shit-ton of discounted $25 gift cards I bought at Best Buy last December. I guess it will switch over automatically? In any case, I'm not sure if it will still be active by next May. It would be nice to know in case that deal rolls around again this Winter...
Old 10-30-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
No, you either have to subscribe to HBO through AT&T OR directly through HBO (meaning you are billed directly by HBO). If you subscribe to HBO through a third-party provider (like Comcast or Verizon) you are NOT eligible to get HBOMax for free.
They are working on it. If third party providers don't want to do it, I'd think they'd just lose a ton of HBO subs through their service.
Old 10-30-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

For those who missed it the financial news, South Park is heading here for a $500 to 550M long term deal.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/sou...ax-1203387212/

Comedy Central’s “South Park” will have a new home online as of June 2020. HBO Max, the WarnerMedia-backed direct-to-consumer service that debuts in May, has won the battle for exclusive streaming rights in the U.S. to Trey Parker and Matt Stone’s animated satire, which is currently hosted on Disney-owned Hulu.

The deal is valued at $500 million to $550 million, a source familiar with matter tells Variety.

South Park Digital Studios, a joint venture between Viacom, Parker and Stone, inked the multi-year licensing deal, which covers all 23 seasons plus three new seasons, which will appear on HBO Max 24 hours after the episode first airs on Viacom’s Comedy Central.
Old 10-30-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.