Where to find What's New and Leaving each month on MAX:
https://press.wbd.com/us/brands/max/media-releases
Print Wikipost

Max — Warner Bros. Discovery streaming service

Old 10-13-18, 11:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: HBO Max — Warnermedia streaming service launches May 2020

Maybe the guys running the DCU movies got transferred to running this service.
Old 02-11-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

https://deadline.com/2019/02/friends...ce-1202555077/

Friends will leave Netflix as soon as their contract expires and become exclusive to the WB streaming service.
Old 02-11-19, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

More evidence Warner’s still hasn’t gotten their shit together and create an expansive service that will cover all of their properties.
Old 02-11-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Netflix wasted $100M to re-sign Friends after the initial contract expired. Money that could have gone to a couple of new original shows.
Old 02-11-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Some very early details about this service:

WarnerMedia’s forthcoming streaming service will bring together its “treasure trove” of 42,000 hours of content from HBO as well as brands such as DC, Looney Tunes, Turner, The CW and CNN after Kevin Reilly lifted the lid on the platform for the first time.

Reilly discussed how it will bring together brands likes of Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, The Lego Movie, The Flash, RBG, The Alienist with movies including The Lord of the Rings, The Hangover and Casablanca.

He also warned that “crown jewels” and “destination assets” such as Friends would likely be on the service – a threat to Netflix, which recently renewed its deal to acquire the comedy.

Reilly, President of TBS and TNT and Chief Creative Officer for Turner Entertainment, who took over leadership of the direct-to-consumer service in December, confirmed that HBO content will be available in the service and also laid out a timetable for original commissioning.

Sarah Aubrey, who was promoted to Head of Original Content for the platform last month, will begin commissioning this spring. “It will not all come from within Warner Media [but] as is the case with every business today, we’ll look at ourselves first. Our beta version of the service will not have original content on it but you’ll see that in 2020 and then ramping up. You can expect it to be in all verticals that we’ve identified here, kids and family, teens, young adults and adult category.”

Reilly also added that there would be more original DC content on the service.

Separately, he said that he wants to offer a “clean user experience with a more personalized feel” to help consumers in “what feels like an overwhelming environment”.

He did not reveal pricing but said that HBO customers will be able to keep a standalone HBO service or buy into the combined service. “When they are offered together, they will be a seamless consumer experience, so you’re not going to have to toggle back and forth,” he added.

The former Fox exec also added that while it would be competing with the likes of Netflix and Disney, the streaming future was not a “zero sum game”. Although it does not currently have a name, he joked that he would be holding a contest for its moniker.

News of WarnerMedia’s streaming plans emerged in October when CEO John Stankey revealed that the service would launch in the fourth quarter of 2019. The plans are some of the first meat on the bone of the as-yet-untitled service. The service will use a “two-sided” model blending subscription and ad-supported elements.

Reilly is the latest high-profile TV exec to use his TCA appearance to tout streaming plans. Earlier today, Hulu content chief Craig Erwich said that Hulu is a “very important strategic asset for our owners”, while earlier this week, Epix launched Epix Now and Discovery founder John Hendricks talked up Curiosity Stream, while The CW president Mark Pedowitz highlighted the strong digital performance of its youth-skewing series.

​​​​​​​
Old 02-11-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

The CW's Netflix deal expires this Spring. Looks like their content will likely head to this service.
Old 02-11-19, 05:43 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DJariya
Netflix wasted $100M to re-sign Friends after the initial contract expired. Money that could have gone to a couple of new original shows.
Warner's has $0 dollars to waste. I doubt Friends at this point will lead to a heavy increase of subscribers to this service.
Old 02-11-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
Warner's has $0 dollars to waste. I doubt Friends at this point will lead to a heavy increase of subscribers to this service.
And your point?

WB's service is still in the very early stages of gathering content. That article I posted is saying that it will likely head to this service when the deal with Netflix expires at the end of 2019. Who was saying that Friends is going to be the big draw? I wasn't.

I just said Netflix overspent to keep Friends another year. $100M for 1 year is ridiculously expensive for catalog content of 1 show that's no longer airing. They could have used it to produce new content.
Old 02-11-19, 06:36 PM
Banned by request

But you cited Friends as a factor. Netflix blowing $100 million probably made sense for them at that time. Netflix can easily afford it. Now in the next 5 years or so, who knows? But at the rate Warner's keeps screwing up these rollouts, and the fact that they're in the early stages in development, it'll only make it harder for them to complete - especially if they're mostly relying on contracts for shows to expire. I haven't read anything on new stuff they're making that's not for fanboys at this point. I'm all for any new service that will give Netflix/Hulu/Amazon a run for their money, but even looking long term, WB has no viable plan to keep them in the streaming game.
Old 02-11-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

All I said was that Friends will become an exclusive to their service eventually, which was reported in the article. No where was I saying...."Oh my fucking God, Friends is is like totally exclusive to this service and that's going to draw the masses and attract millions of subscribers"

Well, its just and a wait and see thing at this point.
Old 02-11-19, 08:32 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Actually, Friends is hugely popular with teens and young adults. I'm not saying it'll bring in tons of subscribers. But it's amazing how many kids I see talking about this show.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...y-love-friends
Old 02-12-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

WB just needs to fold DC Universe into this. If they do that, I'll just subscribe to the WB service for the DC stuff.
Old 02-12-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Yeah making people who want DC Content split between this service and DCU is fubar'd
Old 02-12-19, 06:10 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
WB just needs to fold DC Universe into this.
This.
Old 02-13-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

WB just needs to fold DC Universe into this. If they do that, I'll just subscribe to the WB service for the DC stuff.
I suspect this will eventually happen, but not immediately. They may try it as an add-on first...meaning you can add it at a lower rate, but you'll still have the separate apps.
Old 02-13-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

More evidence Warner’s still hasn’t gotten their shit together and create an expansive service that will cover all of their properties.
This whole thing is in the planning stages. I know this is hard but maybe we can *gasp* wait for more news. This is not as far ahead as Disney's is and even then Disney has plenty of screwups as well in terms of starting their network.
Old 06-06-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Word came out today that pricing is probably going to be $16 to $17 per month, although Warners plans to make HBO part of it.
Old 06-06-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

If they do this they probably lose the comics part, though, which is actually the best part of the service.
Old 06-06-19, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

I've never used the comics, so nothing gained or lost by that for me, The big issue is having HBO as part of the service. And unless that DC Universe one is part of it, then I'll just stick to having HBO as a standalone.
Old 06-06-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

HBO Now is like 15 bucks a month right now (which seems ridiculous) so if you already have that it's almost a no brainer to pay a buck or so more for everything else.
Old 06-06-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Yeah, if this includes HBO/Cinemax as rumored at that price, it's almost a no brainer. Even more so if the DC Universe stuff gets folded into it. Hell, if the Sunday Ticket goes away from DirecTV after this season, it would be the kick needed to bail from them and go to something like YouTube TV + this service.
Old 06-06-19, 07:15 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by fujishig
HBO Now is like 15 bucks a month right now (which seems ridiculous) so if you already have that it's almost a no brainer to pay a buck or so more for everything else.
Been paying $9.99 for almost 2 years through Hulu, so I’m fine with that.
Old 06-08-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

There currently is an article over at Cord Cutter News that says that A T & T is planning on merging Direct TV Now with the new Warnermedia streaming service. There isn't anything concrete information about this including price,etc.

HBO is 5 dollars at Direct TV Now (which includes HBO Go which is supposed to be the same as HBO Now).
Old 06-10-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I don't want any of this. I just was DC Universe left alone and allowed to do it's thing. Sigh...
Old 06-15-19, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
When are people going to realize their monthly television bill will end up about the same as they paid for cable, except spread over ten different providers?

That is where streaming is headed.

It's only a matter of time after providers build up enough customers that they introduce commercials into streaming content. Mark my words, that is all but a fait accompli within the next five years.
It would be years before it could ever get to that point. 6 years ago my Foxtel pay TV service was $90 a month. That was without a sports package and only 2 extra packs and with pay boxes in two rooms.

now I have Netflix for $15, Amazon for $7, foxtel now (same pay providers streaming service) for $25 (to stream 1/3 the channels I used to pay for), and DCU for $11(converted to $AU) + $7 (VPN provider). For $30 a month less I get over double the content I got for $90 previously (my current streaming services include content that would have been two extra packs on foxtel for another $15 each)

If I wanted to add the sports to my old pay TV it would have been $130 a month. I can add that now with Kayo for $30 (if I had any interest in watching sport on TV which I dont). So ATM for $90 i can get what would have cost me $160 on caple/pay but with the advantage I can watch what I want when it suits me and not when the pay service chooses to air it.

added to which the pay provider has advertisments as well.

when Warner and Disney launch their streaming services they are goingnto give alternatives in the market. Competition fosters price war. If they dont get the sign ups they need then demand and supply will make them shift their price to where the market will pay for the services. What this means is they will need to control costs to deliver a service for the price the market will pay. Ro do this they will have to choose what content they tie up on servers and for how long.

for example the Foxtel now package I mentioned some shows like Game of Thrones you can watch seasons worth and it's all there right from the begining, other shows they only keep the last five or six or eight episodes. It all comes down to how often the shows are streamed and what space they can give them.

Disney and Warner obviously have access to a vast Library of content. They are however not likely to keep all of this exclusive because they still make massive revenue from it by on selling it. As I understand it The CW shows for example do not make them any money just on CW it's only after they have been on sold to other providers that they actually make a profit. What this will look like is more than likely it will stream on their service first and be available on others 6/8/9 months later.

Similarly it's unlikely that Warner is going to put everything it has on it's HBO, Turner Bleacher Report, CNN or it's Production house on one service only, doing so would mean people don't need the other services they sell and cut into that buisness.

what we are far more likely to see is a service that takes chunks here in there to give you an alternative something that gives people an alternative to HBO that doesn't have everything of HBO forgive those who want to watch sports that's on the Bleacher Report that don't pay for the week to report but hey I wanted this other stuff it's a totally new market

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.