Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Potentially losing the rights to streaming content you purchased

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Potentially losing the rights to streaming content you purchased

I posted this in the Apple thread, but I think it's worth bringing up as a separate topic.

This was brought to my attention by an online movie vlogger named Robert Meyer Burnett on his Twitter:

Apparently some guy "purchased" movies from Apple/iTunes and eventually the content provider decided to pull them, so Apple pulled them from his purchased library.

He was obviously very upset, but Apple says they can't do anything about it as they no longer have the rights to the content. Apple offered to compensate him with rentals, but he just wanted his movies back.

I'm wondering if this could potentially apply to other VOD providers like Vudu and if say WB decides to pull The Matrix and you've owned it for several years, would you lose it?

I don't know if this is an isolated incident or not, but I happened to see this. For those who've gone full fledged into streaming and VOD, this type of activity would be horrible for them if this were to happen.

If say FOX and WB decided to end their relationship with Vudu at some point...not saying it will happen. But, could you potentially lose your FOX and WB titles from your purchased Vudu library? It doesn't sound that far fetched.

In regards to digital streaming and "purchasing" titles, you technically don't own the movie. You own the rights to view the title as many times as you want as long as the content provider keeps it.

I'm sure some of you who've dumped all your BD's and DVD's will try to downplay this as an isolated incident and no way it could happen, but I don't think this is as far fetched as it sounds. It could potentially happen when you think about it.
Old 09-12-18, 04:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Potentially losing the rights to streaming content you purchased

There's always the risk, of course. I remember around the time Amazon removed and refunded copies of 1984 from people's Kindle's because of some rights issue, I read a story that had looked into this and found someone had lost access to some video they had bought (a childrens movie, maybe?).

That said, I've bought amazon video and digital content that is no longer available for sale on Amazon and can still access it. Same with Vudu. And I seem to remember that one of the people from vudu said that any purchase will be permanent.

Though I think the bigger concern is if the company went out of business.
Old 09-12-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

It's definitely a cause for concern, but titles that are no longer available for purchase are still in my library (like Aladdin). I will say that I have a lot of titles in my collections across various services, and it's not out of the question that something could've disappeared without my noticing.

That Apple "solution" sounds like bullshit, especially considering that one purchase costs about the same as a few rentals.
Old 09-12-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

This has been a concern of mine since I started my digital collection. I imagine I wouldn't even notice if a few movies disappeared.
Old 09-12-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

This would infuriate me.

If I paid for them, and they were no longer available, I would expect a full refund, not some BS rental coupon.

This won't happen to me, as I'll stick with physical media. Sure, it can go bad, but I've not had it happen, yet. Well, maybe one CD, but in about 30 years of owning digital media, that's not too bad at all.
Old 09-12-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Our snarky friends at VUDU responded to this and said, "Any content you own on Vudu is yours forever." Shots fired, Apple.
Old 09-12-18, 06:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Do we have any proof this actually occured?
Old 09-12-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
Who needs proof? The truth doesn't matter in Tr--oh, sorry.
Old 09-12-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Our snarky friends at VUDU responded to this and said, "Any content you own on Vudu is yours forever." Shots fired, Apple.
Of course some social media person will say that. But they don't know what the digital media rights deals are for the content and such.
Old 09-12-18, 07:03 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's funny, because I actually lost a title at Vudu.

I bought the movie Triangle (2010). This was back when they offered SD (480p), HD (720p) and HDX (1080p). The movie was only available in HD (720p), so that's the version I bought.

A couple years ago, Vudu decided to remove the HD option and only offer SD & HDX. So now when I try to play the movie, it tries to access the HDX video which doesn't exist. I get an error that says "Failed to get playback information".

The movie is still in my library. So I guess I technically still own it. But I just can't play it.

After a bunch of people complained on the Vudu Forum, they acknowledged the problem and gave full refunds.
Old 09-12-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

I have in the past bought a Foo Fighters video compilation from iTunes (bought in the days prior to You Tube, when I would on occasions buy a music video). A few years later it disappeared and I don't show that I own it with my few purchases on my iTunes account.

Not exactly the same thing, but I believe it could happen.
Old 09-12-18, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

This has happened before on Comixology. Several years ago, they released a Thor book before release date by mistake and after they noticed, they took it off the catalog of anyone who had purchased it until it was release date. That showed me that these digital providers have all the power of the content over the user/customer.
Old 09-12-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hmm, I did pre-order a Disney Christmas book at Comixology once, and it disappeared before it ever came out. I assume that they're like their parent Amazon and only charge upon release, but I guess I should see if it's in my account.
Old 09-12-18, 08:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Hmm, I did pre-order a Disney Christmas book at Comixology once, and it disappeared before it ever came out. I assume that they're like their parent Amazon and only charge upon release, but I guess I should see if it's in my account.
oh yeah, I should check on that too.
Old 09-12-18, 11:58 PM

I've found the article I mentioned:

Talking to BoingBoing, one Amazon user describes how he got his refresher course the hard way:

Last December I bought some favorite Christmas specials for my kids with the idea they could watch them every year. Went tonight to watch one ('Disney Prep and Landing 2' if you're curious) and it was gone from our library and couldn't be found on the site at all. Amazon has explained to me that Disney can pull their content at any time and 'at this time they've pulled that show for exclusivity on their own channel.' In other words, Amazon sold me a Christmas special my kids can't watch during the run up to Christmas. It'll be available in July though!
https://gizmodo.com/amazon-can-take-...hen-1484152908

It's the only example I'm aware of with regard to Amazon.

I will note that *finding* movies that are no longer sold but are in your library can be difficult on both vudu and Amazon. With vudu, you have to go through your library to find it, and with Amazon, it'll some times be searchable and sometimes you need to go through your library.
Old 09-13-18, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

No.
Old 09-13-18, 07:31 AM

So an update on the story I mentioned. It turned out it was a glitch.

https://www.dealnews.com/features/Am...ip/949866.html

When the story of the disappearing Christmas shows first broke on Boing Boing, an Amazon customer service representative had reportedly told a customer that "Disney can pull their content at any time and 'at this time they've pulled that show for exclusivity on their own channel.'" However, in an interview with All Things D, an Amazon PR rep said the disappearing titles had been "a temporary issue with ... catalog data," and "customers should never lose access to their Amazon Instant Video purchases."

In other words, the content disappearance may not have been the result of shady Disney machinations at all, but a glitch. That said, the article notes that this is by no means the first time we've heard of Amazon taking away access to purchased content: "Back in 2009, [Amazon] deleted two George Orwell books from customers' Kindles, and later explained that it didn't have the right to sell the books in the first place." These examples are hardly evidence of an overarching Amazon digital media conspiracy, but they do draw attention to the larger problem of digital content ownership.

Last edited by Defiant; 09-13-18 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

The original story was about a purchase on iTunes, not Amazon.
Old 09-13-18, 08:13 AM

The story that *I* posted about a couple of times in this thread.
Old 09-13-18, 08:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I imagine as digital becomes bigger, these types of situations will become more commonplace.

I cannot see providers pulling things out of people's libraries unless there is some sort of litigation involved forcing them to remove it completely - in which case I think they should compensate customers as a act of good will.
Old 09-13-18, 08:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

There will possibly be litigation/arbitration - but don’t hold your breath on keeping whatever they pull. The little itty bitty fine print will always say studios have the right to do with what they want with their properties. It’s all laughable really, people thinking they’d really be able to keep the digital stuff forever. Forbes picked up this story as well. I’m very glad I haven’t shunned physical media completely. If it’s available on physical media, especially UHD, I’ll buy that every time. Sure, I’ll pop in the digital code and watch it that way, but I’ll use discs when watching it in my theater at home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#81a27475f747

Last edited by E Unit; 09-13-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-13-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
I imagine as digital becomes bigger, these types of situations will become more commonplace.

I cannot see providers pulling things out of people's libraries unless there is some sort of litigation involved forcing them to remove it completely - in which case I think they should compensate customers as a act of good will.
As digital becomes more popular, I would hope situations like this get worked out before they turn into a problem. If this became commonplace, I think there would be a lot of backlash against these companies and it would be a stupid business move. One solution would be to allow the user to download the movie to a home server/external media, but the studios probably wouldn't like that. There would also have to be a industry standard file format, so the video file could play in multiple video players without glitches.
Old 09-13-18, 09:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Download options would never happen. The whole point of streaming is so that studios can fully control their movies, even with a standard file format - which also will never happen because Apple would never conform to anyone else's programming like that.
Old 09-13-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by E Unit
Download options would never happen. The whole point of streaming is so that studios can fully control their movies, even with a standard file format - which also will never happen because Apple would never conform to anyone else's programming like that.
Download options already exist. If I want to watch a movie on the plane, I can download it to my ipad through a Vudu, iTunes, or whatever app. I'm not saying it's a practical solution for backing up one's whole collection (especially for TV seasons), and it has to be through the app so they maintain control, but it does work. You can do it for Netflix and Prime steaming stuff too.
Old 09-13-18, 10:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
As digital becomes more popular, I would hope situations like this get worked out before they turn into a problem. If this became commonplace, I think there would be a lot of backlash against these companies and it would be a stupid business move. One solution would be to allow the user to download the movie to a home server/external media, but the studios probably wouldn't like that. There would also have to be a industry standard file format, so the video file could play in multiple video players without glitches.
I won't say digital is in its infancy, but certainly not as big as it will be; that is why I think this will become more commonplace and that's when a solution will be found. I wouldn't be surprised now that Forbes picks this up if Apple is either more forthcoming or make the customer whole somehow.

Originally Posted by E Unit
Netflix, Amazon and iTunes already give you the option to download (Amazon video app and Netflix apps do, although you are locked into their original content, and I assume purchases you've made on amazon).

Granted the different file formats are a problem and you are locked into using their platforms for playback.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.