Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

VRV - Was the Best Deal in Streaming Services. Now DEAD.

Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 06:56 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

If you like Anime, Horror, and Geek Stuff, you gotta check out VRV. This is a really cool streaming service. The monthly subscription is $9.99/month, and you get tons of content.

Crunchyroll - Subtitled Anime
Funimation - Dubbed Anime
Shudder - Horror & Cult Movies
DramaFever - Asian Movies & TV Shows
Mubi - Critically Acclaimed Movies
CuriosityStream - Science, History & Tech Documentaries
VRV Select - Anime, Rifftrax, and some Fandor Movies
And a few other smaller channels.

I was already signed up for Crunchyroll, Funimation and Shudder. I switched to VRV, I'm saving money and getting more stuff. Every time I browse the library, I find something cool to watch.

If you subscribe to any of those streaming services, I recommend you check out VRV. They have a 30-day free trial.

https://vrv.co/
Old 01-28-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: VRV - The Best Deal In Streaming Services?

VRV is owned by the same parent company as Crunchyroll. You can link your existing Crunchyroll account to the service.

https://help.vrv.co/hc/en-us/article...Linking-Issues
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laureno...lix-for-geeks/
Old 01-28-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Btwn Shudder/VRV Select and Mubi just for the movies alone it would be a pretty impressive streaming deal. I guess though if you don't like Horror/Cult films or Anime or Subtitled Show's it might not be the best deal.
Old 01-28-18, 07:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

What are some of the movies played on any of these channels? What is a/v quality?
Old 01-29-18, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
What are some of the movies played on any of these channels? What is a/v quality?
You can browse the library of titles on their website:

https://vrv.co/

I don't have any complaints about the AV quality. Seems to be just as good as any of the other services.
Old 01-29-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Looks like a good service for folks who like anime and horror.
Old 03-15-18, 09:27 PM

VRV just added support for Apple TV.

And they are also adding the Stargate Command streaming service which includes the full Stargate library of TV shows & movies.

VRV, Ellation’s subscription VOD aggregation service, has teamed with Metro Goldwyn Mayer to add Stargate Command to VRV Select, a curated house channel launched last year.

The integration will provide access to the full Stargate Command offering that’s part of an All-Access offering that includes Stargate Origins, a digital, short-form prequel series for the Stargate franchise that was launched last fall, and a library that includes Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Universe, Stargate: Atlantis, Stargate (the motion picture), Stargate: The Ark of Truth, Stargate: Continuum and a mix of extras.

VRV Select is part of a $9.99 per month SVOD package from VRV that also bundles in services such as Crunchyroll, Funimation, DramaFever, Rooster Teeth, and Shudder, among others.

As a stand-alone, MGM sells All-Access for a one-time fee of $20 (providing access from the Startgate Command launch on Sept. 20, 2017, through May 15, 2018), and will continue to provide those members with a window of exclusivity for newly released content. VRV, meanwhile, will offer episodes of Stargate Origins no earlier than 30 days after each episode first appears on Stargate Command, they said.

READ MORE: http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...d-slate/418695
Old 03-15-18, 09:31 PM

Here's more info from the VRV Blog:

Stargate Comes To VRV. Yes, All of It.
https://vrvblog.co/ceicocat/1129/sta...yes-all-of-it/

VRV on your Apple TV? Better believe it!
https://vrvblog.co/thurlbutt/1130/vr...er-believe-it/
Old 03-23-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just signed up for the 30 day free trial.

I went to Wondercon here in So. Cal and they had a promotional booth plugging this service, so I went ahead and signed up.

Pretty impressed with the channel selection. However, I noticed a glitch with the Stargate content.

It does have all the stuff from the new Stargate streaming channel, but I tried looking for the new digital series "Origins" and only 3 of the 10 episodes have been posted. The main section says that there are 10. Weird. Must be some kind of technical glitch.

Anyways, this is a great bargain if you enjoy this very specific niche content.
Old 03-26-18, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It does have all the stuff from the new Stargate streaming channel, but I tried looking for the new digital series "Origins" and only 3 of the 10 episodes have been posted. The main section says that there are 10. Weird. Must be some kind of technical glitch.
According to the original announcement, the Origins episodes are on a 30-day delay at VRV. The standalone Stargate service gets an exclusive premiere period.

Episodes 4 & 5 just showed up at VRV over the weekend. Episodes 6 & 7 should be added around April 1st, and episodes 8-10 should be available around April 8th.
Old 05-14-18, 11:57 PM

VRV just added some classic cartoon series. Dragon's Lair, Freakazoid and Road Rovers is now available in the VRV Select section.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...streaming-vrv/
Old 08-01-18, 02:26 AM

VRV just added SyFy Channel's Killjoys: Season 1-3. They're also getting SyFy's Channel Zero through Shudder.

And they've added two more classic cartoons, ThunderCats and SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron.

https://vrv.co/series/GY4P94286/Killjoys

There's some interesting news in this recent Variety article.

First Three Seasons of Syfy’s ‘Killjoys’ Streaming on VRV Under New Pact

VRV is launching all three seasons of the futuristic bounty-hunter series that have aired on Syfy on Tuesday (July 31), under a multiyear deal with NBCUniversal. “Killjoys” was renewed for two final seasons at Syfy, and season 4 premiered July 20 on the cabler. VRV will obtain access to season 4 and 5 of “Killjoys” after they finish their TV run.

---------------------

Also on the sci-fi track, Syfy’s “Channel Zero” horror anthology series is coming to AMC Networks’ Shudder SVOD service, with the first installment to be available on Aug. 9. That means VRV Premium will get access to “Channel Zero” through the Shudder channel on the service, Berman noted.

Meanwhile, VRV is expanding into a new content category: nostalgic animation. VRV has acquired exclusive streaming rights to two classic Warner Bros. Animation titles — “ThunderCats” and “SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron” — for the premium subscription tier. The 26 episodes of “ThunderCats,” which aired on Cartoon Network in 2011-12, became available July 26; 24 episodes of “SWAT Kats,” which aired on TBS in the ’90s, is launching Aug. 8.

VRV is looking at debuting a full channel dedicated to nostalgic animation, according to Berman, in partnership with content owners that have large libraries of cult-favorite animated shows.

In a similar vein, VRV is in talks with traditional media companies to bring “meaningful brands” from their TV or movie franchises to the SVOD platform. Those, according to Berman, should pass “The T-shirt test”: “You should be able to imagine somebody walking around a mall with the brand on their chest, because it really represents who they are.”

FULL ARTICLE - https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...ve-1202882432/
Old 08-29-18, 08:18 PM

VRV has added a new channel called NickSplat. It has classic Nickelodeon shows and toons.

https://vrv.co/nicksplat

Nickelodeon Brings Classics Including 'Clarissa Explains It All,' 'Kenan & Kel' to Streaming

Nineties nostalgia is in full effect at streaming site VRV. The subscription service has teamed with Nickelodeon to offer a slate of the network's 1990s classics. Through the NickSplat channel on VRV, viewers will be able to access a rotating selection of 300 episodes from the likes of All That, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Clarissa Explains It All, Doug, Kenan & Kel, Legends of the Hidden Temple and Rocko's Modern Life.

All told, the NickSplat channel will offer episodes of more than 30 series. Other titles that will be available include AAAHH!!! Real Monsters, CatDog, The Angry Beavers and The Wild Thornberrys. Other shows are expected to be added.

NickSplat will be available as a $6-per-month standalone channel on VRV, the two-year-old video platform that also offers subscriptions to digital networks like Cartoon Hangover, Crunchyroll, DramaFever and Shudder. NickSplat will also be bungled in VRV's $10-per-month premium offering.

Nickelodeon launched NickSplat (formerly The Splat) as a late-night programming block in 2011. This is the first time the Viacom-owned network is bundling the shows for digital distribution. The content won't be exclusive to VRV. Four seasons of Doug, for example, are currently streaming on Hulu.

READ MORE - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ership-1137887
Old 08-29-18, 10:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Damn I’m old...old school Nickelodeon for me were shows like You Can’t Do That on Television and Mr. Wizard’s World.
Old 08-30-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Damn I’m old...old school Nickelodeon for me were shows like You Can’t Do That on Television and Mr. Wizard’s World.
You Can't Do That on Television and Mr. Wizard's World were still being aired on Nick when Clarissa, Doug and Are You Afraid of the Dark started.

Though production ended in 1990 on YCDToT, but kept airing through 1994.

'90 - '94 was peak Nickelodeon for me, those along with Hey Dude, Pete and Pete and Salute Your Shorts.
Old 10-16-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AT&T/WB just shut down Dramafever, effective immediately. The site's down and the apps no longer work.
https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...os-1202982001/
The move to shutter DramaFever comes after AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner and the formation of WarnerMedia. Last week, WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey, said the company would launch a broad subscription-streaming entertainment service anchored by HBO that would pull in content from other parts of Time Warner. As part of launching the new WarnerMedia-wide service, AT&T said it would be “consolidating resources from sub-scale D2C efforts,” which evidently included the phasing out of DramaFever.
VRV is a subsidiary of AT&T, so I don't think this move bodes well for it.
Old 10-16-18, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is related, but just now I've noticed that MUBI isn't showing up in the VRV menu anymore.
Old 10-16-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by piranesi
I don't know if this is related, but just now I've noticed that MUBI isn't showing up in the VRV menu anymore.
it looks like it just happened today.
Old 10-17-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
AT&T/WB just shut down Dramafever, effective immediately. The site's down and the apps no longer work.
https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...os-1202982001/

VRV is a subsidiary of AT&T, so I don't think this move bodes well for it.
Man, that was one of the reasons I was going to sub to vrv once my crunchyroll sub was up. For such a big company, that was a crappy way to service existing customers with no warning or lead time whatsoever (crappy for the employees too).
Old 10-17-18, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VRV confirms now that MUBI is gone from their platform. Dramafever still seems to be working there from now.

"Hey there! Sadly, Mubi and VRV have parted ways for now. If you were subscribed to MUBI via our a la carte package, please check your email for more information!"
Old 10-18-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yikes. Funimation is gone from both VRV and Crunchyroll:

https://vrvblog.co/melissah/3652/cha...o-vrv-premium/

HIDIVE will replace the Funimation channel.
Old 11-01-18, 10:08 PM

VRV is adding Boomerang on November 13th.

VRV, the streaming service that focuses on partnering with and distributing content, has partnered with Boomerang, the company announced on Thursday morning.

Boomerang is a WarnerMedia network that specializes in classic cartoons and features a library of over 3,200 titles, all of which will be headed to VRV when the Boomerang channel goes live on Nov. 13. Boomerang’s library will include shows like Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Bugs Bunny, along with newer cartoons like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

The channel will join VRV, which is owned by the same parent company as Boomerang, as a part of the company’s streaming-service offerings. While much of the animation that’s already on the platform was Japanese anime, this will be the first large-scale partner VRV has had that focuses mostly on classic Western animation.

READ MORE - https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/1/18...-doo-streaming
Old 11-08-18, 09:06 PM

More toons coming to VRV:

VRV has nabbed exclusive streaming rights to intergalactic comedy “Final Space,” whose freshman season aired earlier this year on TBS. The service also is adding two series from Warner Bros. Animation’s catalog — Adult Swim’s “Mike Tyson Mysteries” and ’70s cult classic “Jabberjaw” — as well as Boomerang, the cartoon subscription VOD service from Turner.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/new...ce-1203021213/
Old 11-13-18, 08:51 PM

Boomerang is now available on VRV.

I was disappointed when VRV lost Funimation, Mubi and DramaFever. But adding HiDive and Boomerang was a great move. I subscribed to both of those. So it's a savings for me.
Old 11-13-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Boomerang is now available on VRV.

I was disappointed when VRV lost Funimation, Mubi and DramaFever. But adding HiDive and Boomerang was a great move. I subscribed to both of those. So it's a savings for me.
You had VRV, HiDive and Boomerang? How many streaming services do you subscribe to?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.