DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Red Box launches digital rental PPV service (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/642404-red-box-launches-digital-rental-ppv-service.html)

DJariya 12-13-17 05:23 PM

Red Box launches digital rental PPV service

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/13/redbox-on-demand/

The last time Redbox tried online video in earnest it... didn't go so well. The company's Redbox Instant was effectively trying to challenge Netflix head-on, which seemed foolhardy even in 2013. After lots of teasing, though, it's ready for a comeback. It's launching a Redbox On Demand service that offers movies and TV shows (notably, including new releases) for purchase or rent -- it's steering clear of subscriptions this time. You can stream videos or download them for offline viewing, and it's available across a wide range of devices from the word "go." You can watch wherever you are with Android or iOS, while living room viewers can use Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku boxes or smart TVs from LG and Samsung.

Rentals start at $4 for a 48-hour period, while you're looking at spending $10 or more for a purchase.

Redbox is wagering that this model plays into its existing strengths. If you're already used to renting movies from its kiosks, it's not a big stretch to rent online when you'd rather stay home. And since it already has deals to get new releases, it's guaranteed to have titles that may take months to arrive on services like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, if they ever do.

It's not going to be a cakewalk, mind you. There's still plenty of competition in this space, such as Apple's iTunes, Google Play Movies and Walmart's Vudu. And unlike Redbox's kiosks, there aren't really price advantages. Redbox is mainly banking on its name and physical presence to earn your business. Not that it necessarily need a runaway hit, mind you. On Demand can serve as more of a complement to Redbox's discs, and could help it transition to digital if its kiosks become untenable.

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?qua...f0d13e5a8e0c86

http://deadline.com/2017/12/redbox-l...es-1202226483/

No Disney titles as of right now.

The straightforwardly named Redbox On Demand offers movie and TV titles via Roku, iOS, Android, Google Chromecast and Samsung smart TVs. Two-day rentals start at $3.99, with electronic sell-through starting at $9.99.

Disney titles are notably not in the mix for now. Redbox’s offering of Disney digital download codes via its kiosks without an overall distribution agreement in place–a potential threat to the studio’s effort to launch its own streaming service–drew a lawsuit from Disney.

Redbox On Demand is being positioned essentially as a bridge between a streaming-obsessed, mobile-connected world and a world that still stops by the grocery store. Powered by awareness built at kiosks, the Redbox app has racked up 35 million downloads and company surveys estimate 48% of U.S. consumers find out about new releases by browsing Redbox.

TheBigDave 12-13-17 10:42 PM

Re: Red Box launches digital rental PPV service

I don't see any reason to use this service. The rental price for new releases is the same as other services ($5.99 HD). Too bad they can't match their disc rental prices. If they had $2 HD new release rentals, I'd be all over it.

leacha 12-13-17 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 13225947)
I don't see any reason to use this service. The rental price for new releases is the same as other services ($5.99 HD). Too bad they can't match their disc rental prices. If they had $2 HD new release rentals, I'd be all over it.

Agreed. Money and time spent developing it was a waste.

mndtrp 12-15-17 11:33 AM

Ooof. I got the email and thought it would be priced similarly to a disc rental, not more than double. I won't be taking them up on this offer, although I appreciate something that caters to the new-movie desire.

funkyryno 12-15-17 12:45 PM

Haven't they already tried this before?

DJariya 12-15-17 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 13227117)
Haven't they already tried this before?

Yeah that was a Netflix type service.

This is strictly PPV on demand like Vudu or Fandango Now.

Eddie W 12-15-17 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13227133)
Yeah that was a Netflix type service.

This is strictly PPV on demand like Vudu or Fandango Now.

Or Apple, or Amazon, or what your cable company offers. Same movies at same price. Except that it's usable on fewer devices and doesn't have Disney movies. Yeah, this will be a resounding success.......

Alan Smithee 12-16-17 10:08 PM

With Netflix sucking so badly and concentrating more on its own content lately, I'd love for someone to try and do what they did when they first started streaming except stick with it this time. I'd even pay a small fee per month to get the same selection of "free with ads" movies that Vudu has right now, since even for free I usually can't be bothered to sit through commercials and have them interrupt the movie. Seems like Redbox's last effort was closer to Netflix but hardly got off the ground, this one just has the same stuff at the same prices, and checking out the app on my LG the browsing experience isn't anything special. (Vudu is usually the best since you can search by actors and directors.)

Vudu never explained why they stopped doing the daily 99 cent rentals, Redbox should bring those back too.