DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Discovery, AMC and Viacom launch Philo TV streaming service (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/642129-discovery-amc-viacom-launch-philo-tv-streaming-service.html)

DJariya 11-14-17 02:17 PM

Discovery, AMC and Viacom launch Philo TV streaming service

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...service/170075

Programmers who have complained that they haven’t been able to get carriage with over-the-top virtual distributors at a time when traditional pay-TV operators are losing subscribers have cast their lot with a tiny startup.

Discovery Communications, Viacom, Scripps Networks, AMC Networks and A+E Networks have signed up to have their channels put into an entertainment focused bundle that will cost subscribers $16 a month for about 35 networks.

Those programmers are notable for their lack of the broadcast networks and sports programming that provide leverage with distributors.

Most of the early providers of skinny streaming bundles have concluded that without broadcast networks and sports won’t draw the bulk of subscribers.

The new bundle being launched by a tiny start up called Philo starts with the leftovers.

Discovery and Viacom have been arguing that their channels drawn viewers in greater proportion than the share of distribution revenue they generate. And as traditional pay-Tv subscribers have eroded, they have been unable to make up some of those losses because streamers including the recently launched Hulu and YouTube TV live products have spent their allowance on the bigger ticket items.

Channels on the new service include A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, Cheddar, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, Food Network, GSN, HGTV, HISTORY, Investigation Discovery (ID), IFC, Lifetime, MTV, Nickelodeon, TLC, Travel Channel.

For $4 more channels can be added.

Subscribers will e able to watch on up to three devices at the same time.

New subscribers will get a seven day free trial.

The service include an unlimited 30-day DVR, plus on-demand programming. Viewers will be able to pause live programming and watch programs from the beginning if they’ve aired within the last three days.

Philo is also planning to link its service to a social platform, enabling friends to share shows and watch together.

At launch, Philo supports web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari), Roku devices, an iOS app, and Android via Chrome

Philo is named for Philo T. Farnsworth, who invented the electronic television. The company is backed by investments from New Enterprise Associates (NEA), Rho Ventures, Xfund, Home Box Office Inc. (HBO), Mark Cuban’s Radical Investments, WME, and CBC New Media Group.

All the pricing information and complete channel lineup is here:

https://try.philo.com/#pricing

There are 2 tiers $16 and $20

This is a super skinny package with no sports.

More information and visuals can be found here:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/14/ph...ve-tv-service/

Raul3 11-15-17 10:34 PM

Re: Discovery, AMC and Viacom launch Philo TV streaming service

The price is right, I guess. AMC is a big plus. But for me, they are missing FX and USA.

K&AJones 11-16-17 06:22 AM

We're still leaning to PlayStation Vue for it's selection since by the end of the month we're getting rid of Direct TV (Dish). Looking at it, it has four tiers and all carry the locals (except ABC) and pretty much the network channels we like....FX, Sy-Fy, TNT, USA, TCM, Hallmark (wife loves this one)....the only issue we have there's still some B.S channels in the lineup but no-where near all the crap with Direct TV or costs. If they can get some more in the lineup it will be a worth a serious look.

Eddie W 11-16-17 09:21 AM

Aren't there enough of these live services already? What I'm waiting for is a Hulu-like on demand service that carries these channels' programming with a commercial free option. But more live TV full commercials and screen clutter? No thanks.

TheBang 11-16-17 01:22 PM

I can see some use cases for this. Might be attractive to cord cutters who want to supplement OTA signals.

Also, for someone like me, Comedy Central is one of my most watched channels. But in my area, Spectrum puts Comedy Central only in its highest tier package of channels, so I'd have to pay $40 over the base TV package rate if I want that channel. Maybe I would do this OTT package instead, if I were paying anything for TV (it's all-inclusive with my condo maintenance fee).

Raul3 11-17-17 05:07 PM

Youtube TV is great if you want a lot of live TV and don't want to watch commercials. You can start 15-20 mins after the live episode started and then just FF over all the commercials. I loved having that back, since that's what I used to do with Comcast.

Not sure if the other streaming services added that too. PS Vue didn't allow me that earlier this year, for TWD, and I think it was the same for DirecTV Now. I think they allowed that only in some channels/shows.

Trevor 04-11-19 12:08 PM

Anyone using this? With YouTubeTV raising prices so drastically, I’m open to alternatives.

TomOpus 05-30-21 06:37 PM

So I switched from YouTube TV. Due to my extended hospital stay, I wasn't working for several months and had to cut back a little. I do miss having local channels on those days when the antenna isn't working well due to weather. But 62 channels for $20 ain't too shabby. I also watch Pluto, especially for their MTS3k/Rifftracks channels.