Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

If you buy a 4k UHD movie that has digital copy,

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
If you buy a 4k UHD movie that has digital copy,

will it stream in 4k UHD? My buddy has 5th Element 4k UHD that came with digital copy. He is going to give me the digital code. Only want it if it is 4k streaming. Thanks.
Old 10-21-17, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: If you buy a 4k UHD movie that has digital copy,

Yes, I bought Wonder Woman 4K disc and redeemed the code through Vudu and the streaming version is UHD.

Not 100% sure, but I think all of them have to be redeemed through Vudu to get UHD.
Old 10-21-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Perfect. Will redeem there. Thanks
Old 10-22-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Redeeming codes from UHD discs and getting UHD digital copies can be a bit of a crapshoot.
Use this google doc as a guide.

DO NOT REDEEM FIFTH ELEMENT ON VUDU It will only give you HD. You need to redeem on the Sony Pictures site to get the UHD credentials in your Ultraviolet locker.

Basically, if a movie isn't available on VUDU in UHD yet, they will just give you the HDX version.
Old 10-22-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Redeeming codes from UHD discs and getting UHD digital copies can be a bit of a crapshoot.
Use this google doc as a guide.

DO NOT REDEEM FIFTH ELEMENT ON VUDU It will only give you HD. You need to redeem on the Sony Pictures site to get the UHD credentials in your Ultraviolet locker.

Basically, if a movie isn't available on VUDU in UHD yet, they will just give you the HDX version.
Ok thank you so much for this info.
Old 10-22-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

VUDU lets you download 4k movies for offline playing?

Last edited by Ranger; 10-22-17 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Somebody can else can correct me if I'm wrong, but PC at most right now is HDX. Heck some titles are only SD for offline viewing but those will usually say.
Old 10-23-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Vudu let you download any movies for offline playing? I haven't seen that option yet. I thought 4K (UHD?) films were around 50GB in size. It's possible that there are rights issues -- studios only allow the HD 1080p copies as the best quality for offline viewing. That would be my guess.

Only way I've been able to download movies to my computer for offline viewing is through iTunes. I'd be interested to know if there's a way to do this with Vudu so I can attempt to put them in my iTunes folder and try to manually add them in iTunes.

I'm guessing that this the offline capability through Vudu though is only if I download to a mobile device, and I'm not doing that. I'll just wait for the titles that haven't moved over yet to hopefully become available once the studios align with Movies Anywhere. Until then, I can just put in the disc.

Last edited by suomynona; 10-23-17 at 12:49 PM. Reason: because i'm an idiot.
Old 10-23-17, 01:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
will it stream in 4k UHD? My buddy has 5th Element 4k UHD that came with digital copy. He is going to give me the digital code. Only want it if it is 4k streaming. Thanks.
Originally Posted by DJariya
Yes, I bought Wonder Woman 4K disc and redeemed the code through Vudu and the streaming version is UHD.

Not 100% sure, but I think all of them have to be redeemed through Vudu to get UHD.
Redeeming UHD codes still very much depends on the studio. As mentioned, Sony codes will only redeem in UHD on their site. The only way you can stream those movies is through their Sony app on Sony TV’s. Everywhere else it downgrades to HDX. Warner’s does redeem in UHD, so movies like WW will be UHD on places like Vudu. Fox currently does not redeem in UHD anywhere.

No, currently HDX for offline viewing. I guess there’s not a big enough demand to do that right now. Plus, it’d be several gigs for UHD right I would think.
Old 10-23-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by suomynona
Does Vudu let you download any movies for offline playing? I haven't seen that option yet. I thought 4K (UHD?) films were around 50GB in size. It's possible that there are rights issues -- studios only allow the HD 1080p copies as the best quality for offline viewing. That would be my guess.

Only way I've been able to download movies to my computer for offline viewing is through iTunes. I'd be interested to know if there's a way to do this with Vudu so I can attempt to put them in my iTunes folder and try to manually add them in iTunes.

I'm guessing that this the offline capability through Vudu though is only if I download to a mobile device, and I'm not doing that. I'll just wait for the titles that haven't moved over yet to hopefully become available once the studios align with Movies Anywhere. Until then, I can just put in the disc.
Yes, I've downloaded to tablet and laptop through the app.
Old 10-23-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yes, I've downloaded to tablet and laptop through the app.
Thank you! I'm downloading Ultimate Cut of Watchmen. Here's hoping it's one file, and I can play it with iTunes...
Old 10-23-17, 07:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

You can’t download a Vudu copy and play it in iTunes, but they will play on iPhone and iPad through the app. I’m guessing that’s what you’re trying to do.
Old 10-23-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
You can’t download a Vudu copy and play it in iTunes, but they will play on iPhone and iPad through the app. I’m guessing that’s what you’re trying to do.
I always find out the hard way
Old 10-23-17, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Odd. I redeemed on the Sony site. Now I can't figure out how to get the movie to show up anywhere on the apps I have on the Sony TV.

Figured it out. Had to go into the Sony Ultra 4k movie app and log in to get it. So annoying.

Last edited by Deftones; 10-24-17 at 12:02 AM.