Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service

Old 02-08-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
re: Disney to launch streaming service in 2019 & ESPN service in 2018

Some early details about the new Disney streaming service coming next year

http://deadline.com/2018/02/disney-s...el-1202281846/

Here’s how it will work. The OTT platform, whose price point wasn’t mentioned, will start with a domestic service only, and then expand overseas. There will be no R-rated films, and the programming will be consistent with the Disney brand. The R-rated stuff will go on Hulu. The plan now is to leave the various Marvel series where they are, which means Netflix will hang onto its superhero inventory.

The goal in the first year is to generate four to five original movies, and five TV series for the streaming service. Latter will cost between $25 million-$35 million for 10 episodes, but an exceptionally ambitious series could have a budget cap of $100 million for that 10-episode season.

Here are some of the priority movie projects I heard about:

Don Quixote, from a Billy Ray script; Lady and the Tramp; The Paper Magician; Stargirl, to be directed by Julia Hart; and Togo, to be directed by Ericson Core.

In post-production and bound for the streaming service are the Mark Waters-directed Magic Camp, and the Mark Lawrence-directed Noelle with Anna Kendrick, Bill Hader and Shirley MacLaine.

Priority development projects include 3 Men and a Baby; Sword and the Stone; and Timmy Failure, the latter of which has Spotlight director Tom McCarthy in the creative mix.

On the TV side the inaugural streaming site slate includes High School Musical, an animated Monsters Inc series; a Marvel live-action title, and a Star Wars-branded title.
Old 02-08-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Sounds kinda like what the Disney Channel used to be. Wonder what existing content might be on it.
Old 03-02-18, 08:52 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

“Noelle,” a fantasy comedy with Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader, is expected to debut on Disney’s new streaming service. Disney officially pulled the title from its release calendar on Thursday, while unveiling a stream of untitled Marvel and Pixar movies, and moving its live-action version of “Mulan” back by more than a year. “Noelle,” previously titled “Nicole,” had initially been slated to debut in theaters on Nov. 8, 2019.

Disney declined to comment and has been pretty tight-lipped about what its streaming service will look like, but those in the know expect the studio will make between four to five original movies a year. “Avengers” films and “Star Wars” installments typically carry budgets in the $200 million range, but these films will have price tags under $100 million. They will be more in the mid-budget range of films. “Noelle,” which has been described as a female Santa Claus movie, had been rumored to be part of that suite of programming for some time.

The over-the-top service is expected to offer family-friendly fare. It’s unclear how much it will cost, but rival studios say that Disney is betting a lot of money on launching a rival to Netflix. The company makes billions from licensing its movies, much of that pure profit. It will have to forgo that as it holds back its content for its new streaming service. Disney’s OTT debut will also require a substantial investment in infrastructure and technology. Last fall, Disney announced it was buying much of Fox’s film and television assets for $52.4 billion. Analysts saw that move as part of an effort to bolster Disney’s library of streaming offerings.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/an...ce-1202714876/
Old 08-07-18, 12:07 PM

Disney’s Streaming Service Starts to Come Into Focus
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/b...y-strauss.html

To make the Disney-branded service as robust as possible, Disney will allow a lucrative licensing deal with Netflix to expire. Starting with “Captain Marvel” in March, all of the films that Walt Disney Studios releases in theaters will subsequently flow to the Disney streaming platform instead of to Netflix. (There are “no current plans” to move Marvel-themed television shows off Netflix, a Disney spokeswoman said.)

Disney has also tried to buy back rights to old “Star Wars” films from Turner Broadcasting, Bloomberg reported last week.
Old 08-07-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty much everything we know of it so far.

I guess we won't know more about this until the Spring.
Old 08-15-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I can't understand why Disney with all the networks they own and now this, won't show all the old classic Disney cartoons? I haven't seen them since I was a kid.
Old 08-15-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

They came out on DVD in Tin sets back in the late 1990's or early 2000.
Old 08-16-18, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
They came out on DVD in Tin sets back in the late 1990's or early 2000.
I do remember that but they were so popular, the only one I was able to find was the black and white Mickey Mouse shorts. I would love to be able to show the classic Disney characters to my eight year old.
Old 08-27-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/disn...d-disney-play/

Disney's streaming service is unofficially called "Disney Play"

will launch in late 2019 according to Bob Iger.

So not happening anytime soon.
Old 09-05-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That sounds more like an analyst protecting his Netflix buy recommendation. That estimate feels too high.
If you think of it in terms of ESPN needing to maintain the same level of distribution fees it currently has with MVPDs, it rings true. Every month out of my cable bill, I send $7 to ESPN and watch maybe an hour of content a month.

ESPN's revenue on cable subscriptions alone runs into the hundreds of millions of dollars a month. That's not counting ESPN2 (add another $80M+) or ESPNU (add another $10M+).
Old 09-05-18, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Are there any public figures showing how many subscribers Netflix and Hulu each have?

It could be a long slog to 32 million subscribers, especially without the variety of the other services.
Hulu publicly revealed it crossed the 20 million threshold earlier this year.

Netflix has over 100 million subscribers, with 55 million of those in the US.

For comparison, Lifetime has 90 million subscribers in the US via cable TV.
Old 09-18-18, 08:00 PM

Loki, Scarlet Witch, Other Marvel Heroes to Get Own TV Series on Disney Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/l...ce-1202947551/

This service is sounding better and better.
Old 09-18-18, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Damn, live action with the original stars? Yeah, count me in.
Old 11-09-18, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/8/1...tom-hiddleston

Disney streaming service will be called "Disney +"

It will launch in late 2019. So probably next Fall seems like the time frame.
Old 02-05-19, 07:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Some more details about Disney +

https://www.inverse.com/article/5301...ix-hulu-amazon

How Much Will Disney+ Cost?
During a 2017 earnings call, Disney president Bob Iger said, “It will be substantially below Netflix because we’ll have substantially less volume.”

That’ll be easy to accomplish, especially after Netflix increased the prices for all of its plans in January, raising the standard plan from $10.99 a month to $12.99 a month. We can all expect Disney+ to cost less than Netflix’s range of $8 to $14, so it might even be $5.99 a month to start. But as production ramps up on new shows and movies, and Disney+ reclaims the streaming rights to the substantial back catalog, rest assured that the price will gradually increase over time.

What Will Be Available to Stream on Disney+?
In theory, Disney+ will one day be the only place to stream anything and everything from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic — but it won’t be so easy in the first year. At launch, the aforementioned cheaper price point will get viewers exclusive access to original movies and shows, while many Disney-owned properties — like the Marvel and Star Wars movies already on Netflix — remain where they are for now.

“The goal in the first year is to generate four to five original movies, and five TV series for the streaming service,” a February 2018 Deadline report reads.

At the start, Disney+ will still be the exclusive place to stream more than 5,000 hours of Disney-owned original films and TV shows. In other terms, it’ll be roughly 7,000 episodes of television and 500 movies.

What Movies Will Be on Disney+?
At launch, Disney+ will have a substantial backlog of Disney theatrical animated feature films, including many of the classics, along with live-action films and Pixar movies. Many of the older Marvel films not currently streaming anywhere should also, in theory, be on Disney+.

One of the biggest selling points for a lot of potential consumers is Disney+ being the home of the MCU. Beginning with Captain Marvel, Disney+ will be the only place to stream every new MCU film (other than buying it directly on services like iTunes, Amazon, or Vudu). That includes Avengers: Endgame but not Spider-Man: Far From Home since Sony Pictures controls distribution on all Spider-Man films.

For the time being, however, newer films like Ant-Man and the Wasp and Avengers: Infinity War will remain on Netflix for 18 months following their initial release on the streaming platform. Thor: Ragnarok, for instance, should theoretically hit Disney+ shortly after the movie leaves Netflix on or around December 6, 2019.

The same rules apply to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Starting with Episode IX, every single Star Wars movie — from Rian Johnson’s new trilogy to anything done by the makers of Game of Thrones — will eventually land on Disney+.

Turner still has the broadcasting rights to the original six Star Wars films, however, so don’t expect to see Empire Strikes Back on Disney+ until 2024 or later.

Here are some new movies in the works specifically for Disney+:
  • Live-action Lady and the Tramp starring Tessa Thompson and Justin Theroux
  • Live-action Peter Pan adaptation
  • Live-action The Sword in the Stone adaptation
  • 3 Men and a Baby remake
  • Father of the Bride remake
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Kids remake
  • The Parent Trap remake
  • A live action movie based on the Timmy Failure books from Spotlight director Tom McCarthy
  • Stargirl movie, starring Grace VanderWaa
Old 03-07-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

https://movieweb.com/disney-plus-str...KV1RZhBPACGAkM

The entire Disney movie library will reportedly be available on Disney + when it launches.

Wow, that's amazing.
Old 03-07-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Get ready to pay a shitload for the service. I'm hoping they will have a tier for my needs
Old 03-07-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

But what do I do with all these discs?

BTW, why do y ou think it'll be expensive, the earlier quote was that it would significantly cheaper than Netflix. At least until they kill off Netflix and absorb WB, then they will have all the monies.
Old 03-07-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

A service which is significantly cheaper than Netflix and includes Disney's full library at all times sounds a little too good to be true.
Old 03-07-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig

BTW, why do y ou think it'll be expensive, the earlier quote was that it would significantly cheaper than Netflix. At least until they kill off Netflix and absorb WB, then they will have all the monies.
Is it going to be cheaper? Honestly, I haven't read anything on price ranges. I just figured since they're Disney they tend to put massive premiums on all of their products. If it's cheap then I'm in. I'll feel bad for those that overpaid for the DVD/Blu-rays films or other stuff that is now in the "vault." It looks like the vault will be a thing of the past.

Old 03-07-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I think the service is going to be hideously priced. Disney views this as their primary business model going forward and know the power of their brand. They might start it out cheaply but like Amazon, will continually raise prices once they have enough customers.
Old 03-07-19, 04:43 PM

While Disney has yet to announce a specific price, Bob Iger said, "I can say that our plan on the Disney side is to price this substantially below where Netflix is. That is in part reflective of the fact that it will have substantially less volume."
Old 03-07-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is in part reflective of the fact that it will have substantially less volume
Define volume. I read that article above saying that the entire Disney catalog would be available on Disney + and that also includes the stuff in the vaults, and original programming, etc.
Old 03-07-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig

Don't throw away your discs.

A blurb I read said that new titles probably won't appear on the service until about 1 year after it's theatrical release. Disney still wants to sell digital copies, 4K, BD and such when it's theatrical run is finished.

I'm guessing this means that Disney titles are officially no longer going to premium cable.
Old 03-07-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://movieweb.com/disney-plus-str...KV1RZhBPACGAkM

The entire Disney movie library will reportedly be available on Disney + when it launches.

Wow, that's amazing.
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!

Seriously, I wonder if they'll bring Song of the South out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.