Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Old 04-12-19, 07:54 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,898
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

$5.83/month for the 1-year commitment vs. the upcoming $16/month top plan on Netflix that has 4K and multiple screens is a steal for Disney +.

Netflix is still a relatively good deal, but it's only going to get more expensive in the future as they blow through more borrowed cash and rack up more and more debt.
DJariya is offline  
Old 04-13-19, 07:07 AM
  #127  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,899
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

As I said before, I will be subscribing to this service when it comes to Canada. I'm thinking of subscribing yearly in the first year and then go from there in the subsequent years based on content and pricing.

I'm hoping that this service will be available for us Canadians on Nov. 12th too but even if we have to wait a bit, I'm okay with that.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/d...ervice-canada/
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 04-17-19, 06:53 AM
  #128  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,590
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Netflix will still have the advantage with R-rated and/or adult-oriented fare. You're never going to find a series like "Making a Murderer" or "Mindhunter" on Disney +. That's the area in which Netflix will continue to stay relevant.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 04-17-19, 07:50 AM
  #129  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,531
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Netflix will still have the advantage with R-rated and/or adult-oriented fare. You're never going to find a series like "Making a Murderer" or "Mindhunter" on Disney +. That's the area in which Netflix will continue to stay relevant.
I think Netflix will continue to stay relevant as long as they can afford to keep pumping out original content, but if a Hulu + Disney+ bundle comes out that is cheaper than Netflix, and Disney uses Hulu for all their over-PG13 stuff...
fujishig is offline  
Old 04-17-19, 08:26 AM
  #130  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,866
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

My daughters love Netflix, but I find most of the content to be kind of mediocre these days... if it was just me watching I'd probably be cancelling on and off all year averaging around 6 mos a year. I see myself giving Disney+ a shot as two of my daughters are marvel fans as well as myself, would like to sample this for sure at this price point.
mphtrilogy is offline  
Old 04-17-19, 06:37 PM
  #131  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,453
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

I mainly donít like being locked into one genre, as Iím always in the mood for different stuff. Thatís why I liked Netflix when they first started out, especially with the MGM catalog of B-studios.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 04-18-19, 06:35 AM
  #132  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,590
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
If Star Wars Episode IX isn't a pile of garbage like The Last Jedi then I will be getting Disney + for the Star Wars shows. If it is a piece of garbage like The Last Jedi I will not be bothering with any future Star Wars and just accept that the theatrical cuts of the Original Trilogy is my only Star Wars.
Given what we know about it so far, The Mandalorian series looks FAR more interesting than Episode IX.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 04-20-19, 04:25 AM
  #133  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
actionjackson29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Posts: 1,138
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I think Netflix will continue to stay relevant as long as they can afford to keep pumping out original content, but if a Hulu + Disney+ bundle comes out that is cheaper than Netflix, and Disney uses Hulu for all their over-PG13 stuff...
Hulu may have comparable or even better licensed material than Netflix but, all the other streaming services put together don't come close to the amount of original content you get from Netflix. They were the first to do this. The other services will have to spend billions to even attempt to catch up. Hulu has been at this for awhile and how many original shows can you name that people actually watch from them?
actionjackson29 is offline  
Old 04-20-19, 11:15 AM
  #134  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,531
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
Hulu may have comparable or even better licensed material than Netflix but, all the other streaming services put together don't come close to the amount of original content you get from Netflix. They were the first to do this. The other services will have to spend billions to even attempt to catch up. Hulu has been at this for awhile and how many original shows can you name that people actually watch from them?
This changes if Hulu becomes the repository for all Disney material over PG-13. They already have some deal for some more adult Marvel cartoons.
fujishig is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 04:34 PM
  #135  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,814
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Probably not the ENTIRE movie library...
https://www.inquisitr.com/5331343/di...h-be-included/
Confirmed:

'Song of the South,' 'Dumbo's' Jim Crow Scene Will Not Be on Disney+
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...Ii0S3pLS1-009c
dex14 is offline  
Old 04-22-19, 07:19 PM
  #136  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 13,359
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

In this snowflake day and age, I would have been surprised if they did put it out. Doesn't bother me either way. Like I said before, Song of the South is basically good for the one song, and Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear.
E Unit is offline  
Old 04-23-19, 05:10 AM
  #137  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,397
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
In this snowflake day and age, I would have been surprised if they did put it out. Doesn't bother me either way. Like I said before, Song of the South is basically good for the one song, and Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear.
Then why hasn't it been available for decades? Has nothing to do with this day and age or movie quality. Racists will blame so-called snowflakes for not being able to watch a racist movie every day.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 04-23-19, 06:32 AM
  #138  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,590
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

I don't think it's any surprise that Song of the South won't be on Disney + ... that movie's never going to get released by Disney in any format again. I was a little surprised to hear that they're editing the original Dumbo though.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 04-23-19, 09:44 AM
  #139  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 13,359
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Then why hasn't it been available for decades? Has nothing to do with this day and age or movie quality. Racists will blame so-called snowflakes for not being able to watch a racist movie every day.
Yet Birth of a Nation (the racist one) has always been available. Interesting point, but the movie was a Disney creation, albeit a racist one. They'll protect their brand as they always have. The article even states why it's not being released on streaming, - "Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke about the decision during the company's 2011 annual meeting, saying that, after a rewatch of the film, he felt parts of it "wouldn't necessarily sit right or feel right to a number of people today" and that "it wouldn't be in the best interest of our shareholders to bring it back, even though there would be some financial gain." Boardwalk Times first reported the movie's absence." And racists don't tend to lean on Disney very much to demand the movie be released.
E Unit is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 04:06 PM
  #140  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,531
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Iger announced just now:
Disney+, ESPN+, ad supported hulu for 12.99 a month.
fujishig is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 04:19 PM
  #141  
DVD Talk Legend
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 13,359
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Damn, I'm in for that.
E Unit is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 05:19 PM
  #142  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,317
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Encouraging...
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 06:17 PM
  #143  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,773
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Iger announced just now:
Disney+, ESPN+, ad supported hulu for 12.99 a month.
Definitely in for that. Considering I thought Disney+ would cost about $12.99 alone, I will take the freebies of Hulu and ESPN+

Edit: forgot they already announced$6.99/month or $69.99 for year. Hmmm, not I want those extra services now.
Deftones is online now  
Old 08-06-19, 08:19 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
AaronHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayside
Posts: 2,088
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Yet Birth of a Nation (the racist one) has always been available. Interesting point, but the movie was a Disney creation, albeit a racist one. They'll protect their brand as they always have. The article even states why it's not being released on streaming, - "Disney CEO Bob Iger spoke about the decision during the company's 2011 annual meeting, saying that, after a rewatch of the film, he felt parts of it "wouldn't necessarily sit right or feel right to a number of people today" and that "it wouldn't be in the best interest of our shareholders to bring it back, even though there would be some financial gain." Boardwalk Times first reported the movie's absence." And racists don't tend to lean on Disney very much to demand the movie be released.
Birth of a Nation though is a black and white silent movie,I doubt any little kids would ever accidentally stumble across it or want to watch it. I would imagine most viewings of of Birth now are in an Academic setting with fully grown adults or among film buffs and historians. It makes sense why Song Of The South and certain other pre civil rights era kids demo movies or bugs bunny and tom/jerry in blackface etc shorts . are pullled from circulation but not certain historical films that are also blatantly offensive and or racist.
AaronHernandez is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 08:42 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Sonny Corinthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Port Charles, NY.
Posts: 5,577
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

I don't need the bundle, I already have Hulu. I'm glad Disney is offering their stand alone service for $6.99 a month.
Sonny Corinthos is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 11:08 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,350
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I don't need the bundle, I already have Hulu. I'm glad Disney is offering their stand alone service for $6.99 a month.
Same here, although I would bite for a Disney/ESPN + bundle for $8-9
Red Hood is online now  
Old 08-07-19, 12:13 AM
  #147  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,385
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Don't need the bundle and I always go commercial free. I bet that bundle at that price is for the commercial plan.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 07:22 PM
  #148  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 7,489
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

I have the Hulu Plus w/ads for free with Spotify student and I still don't watch it.
Eric F is offline  
Old 08-16-19, 04:35 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,898
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

https://www.tubefilter.com/2019/08/1...-charter-deal/

Disney plans to crack down on password sharing. So you can't expect your buddy or family member to pay for this and leach off of them,
DJariya is offline  
Old 08-16-19, 09:05 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,773
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://www.tubefilter.com/2019/08/1...-charter-deal/

Disney plans to crack down on password sharing. So you can't expect your buddy or family member to pay for this and leach off of them,
That is through Charter, though. Not sure how they are going to do this realistically.
Deftones is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.