Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Old 04-11-19, 10:41 PM
  #101  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,583
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

500 Movies and 7,500 Episodes isn't that much. Their catalog is enormous. Especially considering that they're including stuff from FOX, ABC and NatGeo. The Simpsons, Boy Meets World and Malcolm In The Middle is about 1000 episodes. And there's over 100 Disney Channel Original Movies. I think people are going to be disappointed with how much stuff is missing.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 10:45 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

fujishig is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 10:46 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,170
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Eh, enjoy the price now and don't worry about it. Unless they are putting subliminal messages in it to force you to subscribe, you can always not renew
I think they are.
TomOpus is online now  
Old 04-11-19, 10:51 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I think they are.
That would explain my over enthusiasm to pay for yet another streaming service because it's cheaper than the other streaming service I'm already paying for and underutilizing.
fujishig is offline  
Old 04-11-19, 11:17 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,177
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Will be the new streaming home for The Simpsons:
https://deadline.com/2019/04/the-sim...al-1202594446/
$6.99 a month for all 30 seasons worth of that show -- that's a fucking no-brainer right there.

And prepaid for the year is $5.83 a month. Take my money now!
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 02:03 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Inhumans99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 3,026
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Wow, so you can see into the future. Nice.
Well, he is probably right but Netflix cost me what...$15.95 right now, which is no longer crazy cheap so I expect Disney to incrementally increase the monthly rate every 12-18 months. At least it will take them some time to get to what I pay for Netflix. It is an easy buy for me, anything $9.99 or less the first year and I knew I would suck it up and pay for another streaming service.

i just hope classics like Old Yeller, Pollyanna, Darby O’Gill, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, The Parent Trap, The Shaggy Dog, and others make their way onto the platform.

ETA: I see The Parent Trap is on the list, good to see as it gives me hope other classics will follow.
Inhumans99 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 05:27 AM
  #107  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,502
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post


Well, he is probably right but Netflix cost me what...$15.95 right now, which is no longer crazy cheap so I expect Disney to incrementally increase the monthly rate every 12-18 months. At least it will take them some time to get to what I pay for Netflix. It is an easy buy for me, anything $9.99 or less the first year and I knew I would suck it up and pay for another streaming service.

i just hope classics like Old Yeller, Pollyanna, Darby O’Gill, Old Yeller, Swiss Family Robinson, The Parent Trap, The Shaggy Dog, and others make their way onto the platform.

ETA: I see The Parent Trap is on the list, good to see as it gives me hope other classics will follow.
That higher Netflix price is for more screens and 4K content. It's yet to be seen what this $6.99 will be though right? It could just be one screen and no 4K.

The entire Disney library is supposed to be offered.

They are doing another remake of Parent Trap.
dex14 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 05:54 AM
  #108  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,237
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

On what platform(s)
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 08:01 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
That higher Netflix price is for more screens and 4K content. It's yet to be seen what this $6.99 will be though right? It could just be one screen and no 4K.

The entire Disney library is supposed to be offered.

They are doing another remake of Parent Trap.
We don't know how many screens, but they both mentioned 4k and that there wouldn't be any tiers, 6.99 is all.
fujishig is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 08:37 AM
  #110  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,502
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
We don't know how many screens, but they both mentioned 4k and that there wouldn't be any tiers, 6.99 is all.
Awesome.

Sure the price will go up overtime. That is to be expected. If they bundle it with other services they own for a discount, even better. I am very excited for what they are offering.
dex14 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 09:09 AM
  #111  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
On what platform(s)
They showed a screenshot that had all the major players: Smart TVs, chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, PC, Mac (I assume androidtv), along with the major console manufacturers PS4, Xbox One and even the Switch. Though I think only PS4 at launch for the consoles.

If they get a switch app before Netflix, that would be something.

Disney stock went up like 12% so far, which seems huge to me considering what the stock is priced at.
fujishig is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 09:37 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,406
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

That's a good price for me. I only subscribe to Netflix, so even if Disney+ goes up to a similar price, I'll be fine with it. It's good to have a date and price finally.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 09:57 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,905
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Price is right. It'll be joining Netflix and Hulu for me most likely.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
They showed a screenshot that had all the major players: Smart TVs, chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, PC, Mac (I assume androidtv), along with the major console manufacturers PS4, Xbox One and even the Switch. Though I think only PS4 at launch for the consoles.

If they get a switch app before Netflix, that would be something.

Disney stock went up like 12% so far, which seems huge to me considering what the stock is priced at.
Bigger than the 12% is the fact they finally cracked $122. IMO, They've been an undervalued stock for a long time.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-12-19 at 10:03 AM.
RichC2 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 01:04 PM
  #114  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,809
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

def in my price point budget.. let's see as we get closer...
mphtrilogy is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 01:19 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Here are the slides:
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com...r-day_2019.pdf
fujishig is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 02:10 PM
  #116  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,583
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
The entire Disney library is supposed to be offered.
I don't know how that's possible. They showed this graphic:



There's no way this covers the entire Disney library. Especially when they add in FOX, ABC, Marvel, Star Wars, NatGeo.

They probably plan to rotate titles in and out every month.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 03:33 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,176
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

The Annual Discounted Rates for these Streaming Services is tempting. I think I'm in.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 04:44 PM
  #118  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,502
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I don't know how that's possible. They showed this graphic:



There's no way this covers the entire Disney library. Especially when they add in FOX, ABC, Marvel, Star Wars, NatGeo.

They probably plan to rotate titles in and out every month.
Just going by what the man in charge has said in the past...

Bob Iger revealed some new details about Disney+ during a recent investor meeting. One major question has been just how much of the studio's library of movies is going to be made available for subscribers. Considering that they have movies dating back to the 1920s, it's an extensive potential offering. Iger didn't mince words, saying that the entirety of their movie library will be made available shortly after the service's initial launch. Here's what he had to say about it.

"The service, which I mentioned earlier is going to launch later in the year, is going to combine what we call library product, movies, and television, with a lot of original product as well, movies and television. And at some point fairly soon after launch it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a 'vault' and brought out basically every few years will be on the service. And then, of course, we're producing a number of original movies and original television shows as well that will be Disney-branded."
dex14 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 05:34 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 3,555
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Probably not the ENTIRE movie library...
https://www.inquisitr.com/5331343/di...h-be-included/
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:05 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,369
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Let's what do I have at the moment:

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
CBS
ESPN+
FX Now
DC Universe
EPIX Now
Shudder - Might not renew after my 1 year discount rate ends.

Temporarily:
Sundance Now - Probably out after I get caught up on a few things.
Boomerang for my young niece, but may cancel soon.

I'm pretty certain I will probably get the 1 year discount rate for Disney +, but after this, I don't see myself adding anymore unless I kill 1-2 that I have now. It's simply too much and I barely have the time to make the most of all of these.

That's why I had to pass on the Criterion Channel.


But, the content for Disney + looks great and I can't wait to see all the Star Wars and the new Marvel shows. If it lives up to the hype, then I can probably see myself not purchasing anymore Disney physical media, unless it's Marvel or Star Wars related.
DJariya is online now  
Old 04-12-19, 07:22 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,695
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

If the pq is as good as they are saying it will be (4k + HDR), and the movies go up in a timely fashion, there really isn't much reason to buy their discs anymore.
Deftones is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:30 PM
  #122  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,188
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
If the pq is as good as they are saying it will be (4k + HDR), and the movies go up in a timely fashion, there really isn't much reason to buy their discs anymore.
I stopped buying most Disney disks day one because of the Netflix deal. Even though I loved Black Panther, I skipped it as well as Incredibles 2, Ant Man and Wasp, etc.
fujishig is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:47 PM
  #123  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,829
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

If Star Wars Episode IX isn't a pile of garbage like The Last Jedi then I will be getting Disney + for the Star Wars shows. If it is a piece of garbage like The Last Jedi I will not be bothering with any future Star Wars and just accept that the theatrical cuts of the Original Trilogy is my only Star Wars.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:47 PM
  #124  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,695
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I stopped buying most Disney disks day one because of the Netflix deal. Even though I loved Black Panther, I skipped it as well as Incredibles 2, Ant Man and Wasp, etc.
Problem was, those were limited to 1080p.
Deftones is offline  
Old 04-12-19, 07:54 PM
  #125  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,583
re: Disney+ streaming service - November 12, 2019 launch

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post


Just going by what the man in charge has said in the past...

That would be great. I hope it's true.

I'm just saying that the numbers don't add up. If you only count the Walt Disney Pictures, Disney's Made-For-TV films, Disney Channel Original movies, and Disney's direct-to-video releases you'll have around 1000 titles.

That doesn't include movies from other Disney studios (Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Dimension, etc). It also doesn't include other Made-For-TV movies like Family Channel and ABC Family. Or any acquired libraries like Lucasfilms, Marvel, Fox, Searchlight.

If they're only going to offer 500-600 movies at a time, they'll have to do a lot of rotating.
TheBigDave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.