Reload this Page >

Disney+ streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service

Old 04-08-22, 06:06 PM

Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
So it is hard to believe that in around 8 months my 3 year super great priced D+ deal will expire (I suspect a ton of others on this site will also need to re-up on D+ sometime in November), if they have some sort of special priced deal on a gimmick day like May, 4th that is good for existing and current subscribers, I can always grab the deal and it will just kick in once my 3 year deal is up, correct?
They really should give an offer to those of us who signed up for the 3-year deal. Even if it was the same offer for another 3 years. Unlikely, but it would be nice.
Old 04-17-22, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

My 3 year deal is still "on pause" since Verizon offered free Disney+ (for however long that lasts) and any existing subs get placed on hold. But I would appreciate that kind of offer.
Old 04-27-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

Anyone getting HDCP errors on Disney+ on Apple 4k tv devices? It's the only app doing it on my Apple TV. Restarting device doesn't fix it. Have to unplug all A/C cords. But has happened 2 days in a row now.

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 04-27-22 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-28-22, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Anyone getting HDCP errors on Disney+ on Apple 4k tv devices? It's the only app doing it on my Apple TV. Restarting device doesn't fix it. Have to unplug all A/C cords. But has happened 2 days in a row now.
No problem watching the latest episode of Moon Knight yesterday.
Old 05-01-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Are the devices connected through a receiver? I get these errors from time to time on Roku and turning the receiver off and back on works. It's still annoying, but easier than having to unplug/replug.
Old 05-01-22, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

I think it's my HDMI switch. I tried switching to Amazon firestick and couldn't get any picture at all on the homescreen. I plugged it directly into the TV and it worked.
So I hooked up an old switch and everything seems to be working fine now..

It was just weird since it only seemed to be affecting Disney+ on Apple.
Old 05-17-22, 01:20 PM

Not every marketer is likely to get its commercials on a new ad-supported version of Disney+.

The popular streaming service — home to Marvel movies, the “Star Wars” series and hours of signature kids’ programming — is about to unveil a new ad-supported tier, part of a broader move by big entertainment companies like Disney to lure new subscribers to its broadband entertainment hubs with cheaper subscription levels. Indeed, the new option is one of the most-anticipated developments of the looming TV “upfront,” when TV networks try to sell the bulk of their commercial inventory for the next programming cycle.

But Disney is being careful, according to two media buyers with knowledge of recent discussions between the company and advertising agencies, wary of overwhelming the streaming outlet with a glut of ads that might obscure the service’s family-friendly environment. Disney’s plan to add an advertising-supported version of Disney+ has been a hot topic this week as the TV industry gathers in New York for the annual upfront programming presentations.

These executives say Disney has already signaled to agencies that the new version of Disney+ will not accept alcohol or political advertising at its launch. What’s more, the Disney service will also not take ads from rival outlets or entertainment studios, in a bid to prevent rivals from luring its subscribers amid a fierce round of Hollywood’s streaming wars. According to the two media buyers, Disney will also be cautious about running commercials alongside shows aimed at pre-school audiences, and will no run ads at all when an individual user profile in control of the viewing experience indicates a young child is watching.

Disney declined to make executives available for comment. Media buyers indicated they were a little surprised by the amount of control the company is exerting over the potential ad roster for the service, but also noted the dynamic might create a sense of scarcity for Disney+ commercial inventory, which could in turn increase demand from marketers interested in the service.

Disney is being competitive in other ways as well. Ads on Disney+ will run an average of four minutes per hour or less, according to a person familiar with the matter. That means the service would run fewer ads per hour than NBCUniversal’s Peacock, which launched with a vow to run no more than five minutes of ads each 60 minutes, and would also be competitive with Warner Bros. Discovery’s HBO Max, which has tried to keep the number of commercials per hour to four. The Disney+ ad load will be significantly lighter than that of its sister streaming outlet Hulu, which has been clocked in recent years running as many as 9 to 12 ads per hour, according to a February 2022 report from MediaRadar.

Disney has long tried to keep its youngest viewers from being inundated with commercial messages. Its flagship Disney Channel cable network does not accept traditional ads, only sponsorship messages that tie the product being pitched to the cable network's programming. Meanwhile, Disney Junior, aimed at younger children, has typically not run commercials at all.

Madison Avenue is eager to spray commercials around a bevy of new ad-supported streaming outlets that offer some of the entertainment world's most buzzed-about properties. With more viewers leaving traditional TV and watching their favorite scripted dramas and comedies through streaming, big advertisers feel they have to follow their customers. But one of the reasons the streaming outlets remain popular is because they run few commercials -- and, sometimes, none. As such, Disney and others will have to maintain a balancing act, keeping subscribers from feeling deluged with ads while giving sponsors some opportunity to make their pitch.

Media companies have been wary in past years about serving up ads to streaming crowds, mindful that rivals like Netflix and Amazon were offering premium TV experiences with an explicit promise not to interrupt them with commercial messages. But in the first half of 2022, such bets may be off.

HBO Max is already running commercials to consumers who opt for a lower-priced tier that includes advertising. Even before it became part of Warner Bros. Discovery, HBO Max had unveiled plans to run so-called “pre-roll” ads ahead of HBO movies. NBCUniversal recently announced new, more intrusive formats for Peacock, including one effort that could "frame" a streaming selection with an advertiser's message. And Netflix has indicated that it, too, will embrace an ad-supported service in months to come.

Such decisions come as Wall Street is scrutinizing the growth of streaming overall. Netflix shares fell precipitously more than a week ago after the streamer disclosed subscriber losses in the first quarter and said it anticipated more in the second. Meanwhile, as more media companies launch streaming services to court viewers who want to watch their favorite shows at times of their own choosing, the competition for each subscriber has grown even more intense.

Disney executives appear enthusiastic about the ad-supported venture. An ad-supported tier on Disney+ "is going to give us the ability to reach an even more broad audience as we expand Disney+ across multiple price points," said Bob Chapek, Disney's CEO, speaking to investors last Wednesday. "And using some of our other services, we can see the additive nature of an ad-driven service that enables us to keep the price lower. Of course, that's made up for by the additional revenue that we would get per user on the advertising spending."

The Disney+ ban on rival entertainment services may seem surprising, as many media companies accept movie trailers and commercials from rivals like Netflix, Amazon and Apple. But Disney has been picky. In 2019, the company said it would no longer run ads from Netflix on entertainment networks like ABC, Freeform and FX, and that its decision to run commercials from other rival services would hinge on whether the advertiser had broader relationship with Disney that could encompass not just advertising, but such things as distribution or programming. That policy appears to have come to an end, however. When it comes to its streaming outlets, however, Disney won't accept commercials from their competitors.
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dis...ls-1235265430/
Old 05-18-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

No erectile disfunction ads then?

If they keep ads out of young kids’ viewing, I wonder if I can get the cheaper subscription and then tell it I’m under 5 years old but am allowed to watch all ratings of content?
Old 05-18-22, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,614 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Details on the ad supported option that's coming

Chances are if you don't have Disney + right now, you probably aren't interested, let alone wanting an ad supported tier.
Old 05-18-22, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,911 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Details on the ad supported option that's coming

https://twitter.com/screenrant/statu...7jLiCnStgpGJaA

Chances are if you don't have Disney + right now, you probably aren't interested, let alone wanting an ad supported tier.
It gives them a lower tier to offer "free" with cell phone provider or whatever, plus when they raise prices they can say "see, you can keep Disney + at the same price."
Old 05-18-22, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It gives them a lower tier to offer "free" with cell phone provider or whatever, plus when they raise prices they can say "see, you can keep Disney + at the same price."
Yeah, this is my biggest concern - I currently get the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle for "free" as part of my Verizon plan, and I just "know" they're going to downgrade to the ad-supported Disney + (as the ad-supported Hulu is part of this bundle).
Old 05-18-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,363 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, this is my biggest concern - I currently get the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle for "free" as part of my Verizon plan, and I just "know" they're going to downgrade to the ad-supported Disney + (as the ad-supported Hulu is part of this bundle).
I doubt that. ATT doesn't offer the HBO Max subs the ad version. Hard to compare TMobile since Netflix doesn't have an ad plan yet. But they do give out ad version of Paramount+
Old 05-18-22, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,143 Likes on 4,179 Posts

Sprint gives an ad-supported tier of HULU.
T-Mobile’s free Netflix is the most Basic one available, not in HD.
Old 05-18-22, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
I doubt that. ATT doesn't offer the HBO Max subs the ad version. Hard to compare TMobile since Netflix doesn't have an ad plan yet. But they do give out ad version of Paramount+
But I wonder how long ATT will keep that now that they've been spun off.
Old 05-20-22, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of all the things they could have shadow dropped (or maybe I'm just out of the loop) I didn't expect Alias to get onto Disney Plus (or the Finder or 8 Simple Rules for that matter)
Old 05-20-22, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

hmmm, that makes me wonder about the Hulu Live / Disney+ bundle. I'm already forced to buy Disney+ with Hulu Live. I better not get downgraded to the ad-version.

If anything, since I'm paying for the ad-free Hulu library, at least my Disney+ better stay ad-free too - in this forced bundle situation.
Old 05-20-22, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 05-31-22, 08:44 AM

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-01-22)
Old 06-02-22, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Coming to Disney plus on June 22nd

The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
MLBFan24 (06-02-22), OldBoy (06-02-22)
Old 06-06-22, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 446 Likes on 304 Posts

That seems rather quick. I looked it up and both Eternals and Shang-Chi were over 2 months between theatrical and streaming.
Old 06-09-22, 11:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think they go by how fast they’ll max out theatrical profit. It beat the others at a much faster pace, so why not throw it up on D+ sooner.
Old 06-09-22, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
I think they go by how fast they’ll max out theatrical profit. It beat the others at a much faster pace, so why not throw it up on D+ sooner.
You'd think if it made profit faster, they'd leave it up for longer to milk the theatrical release. I know at least for me, when I took my family to the movies yesterday, I considered Strange but decided against it because it was going to be "free" in a couple of weeks anyway.
Old 06-09-22, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,179 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Wow, that's fast. My daughter will be happy because she really wants to see it again.
Old 06-12-22, 05:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

For those who lost sleep over this, worry no more. Luca premieres on D+ Italy on June 18th.

Old 06-12-22, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 446 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
For those who lost sleep over this, worry no more. Luca premieres on D+ Italy on June 18th.
I think that is June 18th of last year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.