Reload this Page >

Disney+ streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service

Old 02-11-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

On February 23rd, Canadians will be getting the Star service added to their Disney+ accounts and looking at the over 150 TV shows and 500 movies that they are adding, the small subscription increase will be worth it. Are all of these shows and movies currently available in Hulu in the US?

https://thedisinsider.com/2021/02/06...disney-canada/
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (02-11-21)
Old 02-18-21, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 415 Likes on 300 Posts

Just a reminder The Muppet Show starts streaming tomorrow.
Nesbit (02-18-21)
Old 02-19-21, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Just checked it- it looks AWFUL. And of course if you watch through the app, it prompts you to skip the intro. (Only reason I subscribed is because I can use Airplay and avoid all that crap.)
Old 02-19-21, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just checked it- it looks AWFUL. And of course if you watch through the app, it prompts you to skip the intro. (Only reason I subscribed is because I can use Airplay and avoid all that crap.)
I'm watching the John Denver episode and I think it looks fine. Also I looked at the running time and every episode runs close to 27 mins. I don't know if there are any edits.
Old 02-19-21, 08:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like an episode is missing (S1E23)

Edit: Also a couple of episodes in season 5 (since it should have 24 episodes), and the episodes are out of order.

Last edited by Defiant; 02-19-21 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

What was wrong?I watched the Rita Moreno episode and it looked fine. What's wrong with the OPTION to skip the intro? You don't have to skip unless you want to.
Old 02-19-21, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Compared to what?
Old 02-19-21, 09:59 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Grown man has hissy fit over Muppets!

Old 02-19-21, 09:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

you mean it's not in 4k 3D and Snyderfied?
Bluelitespecial (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
What was wrong?I watched the Rita Moreno episode and it looked fine.
Don't you know what videotape is supposed to look like? This looks very choppy, the DVDs look like live TV the way it's supposed to. This seems to be hard for streaming services in general to get right though.

What's wrong with the OPTION to skip the intro? You don't have to skip unless you want to.
Nothing wrong with the option, but I don't want to see that stupid "SKIP INTRO" button on the screen and it has no reason to be there. They could just say "Press ENTER to skip intros" on the menus and loading screens. At least using Airplay I can get around all of that- also no ratings at the top of the screens and always full end credits. Checking the DVDs I see that they were too lazy to put any chapters on those though.
Old 02-19-21, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Don't you know what videotape is supposed to look like? This looks very choppy, the DVDs look like live TV the way it's supposed to. This seems to be hard for streaming services in general to get right though.
I guess they didn't run it through you as to if it looked just right. Streaming id not going to look perfect. But if you want to be so damn picky .... have fun.

Nothing wrong with the option, but I don't want to see that stupid "SKIP INTRO" button on the screen and it has no reason to be there. They could just say "Press ENTER to skip intros" on the menus and loading screens. At least using Airplay I can get around all of that- also no ratings at the top of the screens and always full end credits. Checking the DVDs I see that they were too lazy to put any chapters on those though.
Nothing at all is going to mke you happy. The "skip intro" prompt isn't on screen for very long. Just watch the fucking show!
Old 02-19-21, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Ever consider your issue is your "need" to push via airplay to avoid things like Skip Intro rather than using the App on a device connected to your TV?
Old 02-19-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That missing season one episode is on the dvd set.
Old 02-19-21, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Nothing at all is going to make you happy. The "skip intro" prompt isn't on screen for very long. Just watch the fucking show!
That's what I say to people who want to skip everything imaginable- it isn't very long- just watch the fucking shows! But I am generally happy using Airplay with services that support it; I wouldn't be subscribing if I wasn't. Movies generally look very good on Disney Plus, but video is just something that most services can't get right. It was likely a limitation of the technology in its early days, but now that it's possible to do right (and I can do it myself from a simple laptop, despite being mostly computer illiterate) I don't know why these big companies can't.

HERE is how the show SHOULD look- there are a bit more compression artifacts here, but look how much more like LIVE video this looks compared to how it does on Disney:

Old 02-19-21, 12:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Throw the TV's out!

Yeah, my kids are watching it and don't care at all about it. And after seeing a handful of episodes, I don't care either. It's nice to finally get all of the episodes, including the last 2 seasons.
Old 02-19-21, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

https://www.toughpigs.com/tms-edits/

The first missing episode is Brooke Shields. Despite being previously released on the (non-Disney) Time-Life “Best of The Muppet Show” set, there were music rights issues that kept it from appearing on Disney+. Since Disney chose to remove the episode entirely rather than release an edited version, we’re holding out hope that they’re continuing to try and secure the rights so it may be added at a later date.

The second missing episode is Chris Langham. While Disney declined to comment on their reason for excluding this episode, we presume it’s due to the problematic past of the guest star. Although the episode itself is a particularly fun one, we can’t ignore Langham’s personal history, and we understand why it won’t be available on Disney+. For more on our thoughts, please see our official review of the Chris Langham episode.
The column mentions the other missing episodes but they say they weren't informed by Disney that they would be missing so maybe it's just an oversight. There are aslo a bunch of cuts missing.
Old 02-20-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney put a content warning on the Johnathan Winters episode because he wore an Indian Head Dress in a skit.
Old 02-20-21, 01:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

from https://www.rangerboard.com/index.ph...8/post-6005856

Season 1:
- Kaye Ballard episode completely missing in the US, but is available in Europe

Season 2:
- Bernadette Peters: "They Call the Wind Maria" and "I'm Five" missing
- Don Knots: "Lullaby of Birdland" missing and all scenes referencing it

Season 3:
- Cheryl Ladd: UK Spot "There's A New Sound" missing
- Spike Milligan episode completely missing in Europe, but is available in the US
- Danny Kaye: UK Spot "Jogging" missing
- Roger Miller: UK Spot "Down at the Old Bull and Bush" missing

Season 4:
- John Denver episode completely missing in Europe, but is available in the US
- Anne Murray: "Dancing on the Ceiling" missing

Season 5
- James Coburn: UK Spot "Bird Walk" missing
- Tony Randall: "Ti-Pi-Tin" missing
- Hal Linden: "If I Ruled the World" missing
- Wally Boag: "The Ying Tong Song" missing
- Buddy Rich: UK Spot "A Transport of Delight" missing
- Brooke Shields episode completely missing
- Chris Langham episode completely missing
LorenzoL (02-20-21)
Old 02-20-21, 02:03 PM

And you CANNOT skip those content warnings!
Old 02-20-21, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

And you CANNOT skip those content warnings!
Give it a rest Allan! It’s a sign of our times and a small “inconvenience” to have the series available.

Stop subscribing to streaming services instead. It will be better for your mental health.
John Pannozzi (02-20-21)
Old 02-20-21, 03:37 PM

My point is that they encourage you to skip intros (which are part of the show) but then force you to watch these disclaimers (which are not).
Old 02-20-21, 03:42 PM

Incidentally, Atmos seems to not be working on any Apple devices lately. I was not able to get it through Airplay, then saw on a Reddit forum that others using Apple TV had it stop working also. I assume a fix is under way- I had already contacted customer service to let them know.
Old 02-21-21, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My point is that they encourage you to skip intros (which are part of the show) but then force you to watch these disclaimers (which are not).
Those are likely completely unrelated things. I get why that upsets you though.
Old 02-21-21, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Content-wise, the kids and I watched Flora and Ulysses on Friday. We had no idea it was coming out but Friday night is movie night and it was up, so we watched it.

Not a perfect movie or plot by any means and not something I'd go out of my way to pay for in theaters, but this made it a perfect streaming movie. Delightful cast (though Ben will always be John Ralphio to me), very quirky and silly but still has some heart (as long as you don't expect all that much in terms of cohesiveness of the plot).
Old 02-23-21, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Looking forward to exploring more of the Muppets. Watched a couple eps, it was nice to revisit. I'll probably skip around to see guest hosts I'm interested in. Edits bother me a little, but I'm not counting pixels or frames, and I understand musical rights edits.

With D+ going up, is there a way to lock in a good price if you're on the prepaid 3 year? Or best not to worry about it yet, since there's still a year and a half.

Soul was good, that was the last movie we watched on D+.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.