Disney to launch streaming service in 2019 & ESPN service in 2018

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney to launch streaming service in 2019 & ESPN service in 2018

Old 04-12-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Disney to launch streaming service in 2019 & ESPN service in 2018

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
On what platform(s)
They showed a screenshot that had all the major players: Smart TVs, chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, PC, Mac (I assume androidtv), along with the major console manufacturers PS4, Xbox One and even the Switch. Though I think only PS4 at launch for the consoles.

If they get a switch app before Netflix, that would be something.

Disney stock went up like 12% so far, which seems huge to me considering what the stock is priced at.
Old 04-12-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a good price for me. I only subscribe to Netflix, so even if Disney+ goes up to a similar price, I'll be fine with it. It's good to have a date and price finally.
Old 04-12-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Price is right. It'll be joining Netflix and Hulu for me most likely.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
They showed a screenshot that had all the major players: Smart TVs, chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, PC, Mac (I assume androidtv), along with the major console manufacturers PS4, Xbox One and even the Switch. Though I think only PS4 at launch for the consoles.

If they get a switch app before Netflix, that would be something.

Disney stock went up like 12% so far, which seems huge to me considering what the stock is priced at.
Bigger than the 12% is the fact they finally cracked $122. IMO, They've been an undervalued stock for a long time.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-12-19 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-12-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

def in my price point budget.. let's see as we get closer...
Old 04-12-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here are the slides:
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com...r-day_2019.pdf
Old 04-12-19, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
The entire Disney library is supposed to be offered.
I don't know how that's possible. They showed this graphic:

There's no way this covers the entire Disney library. Especially when they add in FOX, ABC, Marvel, Star Wars, NatGeo.

They probably plan to rotate titles in and out every month.
Old 04-12-19, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Annual Discounted Rates for these Streaming Services is tempting. I think I'm in.
Old 04-12-19, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I don't know how that's possible. They showed this graphic:

There's no way this covers the entire Disney library. Especially when they add in FOX, ABC, Marvel, Star Wars, NatGeo.

They probably plan to rotate titles in and out every month.
Just going by what the man in charge has said in the past...

Bob Iger revealed some new details about Disney+ during a recent investor meeting. One major question has been just how much of the studio's library of movies is going to be made available for subscribers. Considering that they have movies dating back to the 1920s, it's an extensive potential offering. Iger didn't mince words, saying that the entirety of their movie library will be made available shortly after the service's initial launch. Here's what he had to say about it.

"The service, which I mentioned earlier is going to launch later in the year, is going to combine what we call library product, movies, and television, with a lot of original product as well, movies and television. And at some point fairly soon after launch it will house the entire Disney motion picture library, so the movies that you speak of that traditionally have been kept in a 'vault' and brought out basically every few years will be on the service. And then, of course, we're producing a number of original movies and original television shows as well that will be Disney-branded."
Old 04-12-19, 05:34 PM

Probably not the ENTIRE movie library...
https://www.inquisitr.com/5331343/di...h-be-included/
Old 04-12-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Let's what do I have at the moment:

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
CBS
ESPN+
FX Now
DC Universe
EPIX Now
Shudder - Might not renew after my 1 year discount rate ends.

Temporarily:
Sundance Now - Probably out after I get caught up on a few things.
Boomerang for my young niece, but may cancel soon.

I'm pretty certain I will probably get the 1 year discount rate for Disney +, but after this, I don't see myself adding anymore unless I kill 1-2 that I have now. It's simply too much and I barely have the time to make the most of all of these.

That's why I had to pass on the Criterion Channel.

But, the content for Disney + looks great and I can't wait to see all the Star Wars and the new Marvel shows. If it lives up to the hype, then I can probably see myself not purchasing anymore Disney physical media, unless it's Marvel or Star Wars related.
Old 04-12-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

If the pq is as good as they are saying it will be (4k + HDR), and the movies go up in a timely fashion, there really isn't much reason to buy their discs anymore.
Old 04-12-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
If the pq is as good as they are saying it will be (4k + HDR), and the movies go up in a timely fashion, there really isn't much reason to buy their discs anymore.
I stopped buying most Disney disks day one because of the Netflix deal. Even though I loved Black Panther, I skipped it as well as Incredibles 2, Ant Man and Wasp, etc.
Old 04-12-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If Star Wars Episode IX isn't a pile of garbage like The Last Jedi then I will be getting Disney + for the Star Wars shows. If it is a piece of garbage like The Last Jedi I will not be bothering with any future Star Wars and just accept that the theatrical cuts of the Original Trilogy is my only Star Wars.
Old 04-12-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I stopped buying most Disney disks day one because of the Netflix deal. Even though I loved Black Panther, I skipped it as well as Incredibles 2, Ant Man and Wasp, etc.
Problem was, those were limited to 1080p.
Old 04-12-19, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

Just going by what the man in charge has said in the past...

That would be great. I hope it's true.

I'm just saying that the numbers don't add up. If you only count the Walt Disney Pictures, Disney's Made-For-TV films, Disney Channel Original movies, and Disney's direct-to-video releases you'll have around 1000 titles.

That doesn't include movies from other Disney studios (Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax, Dimension, etc). It also doesn't include other Made-For-TV movies like Family Channel and ABC Family. Or any acquired libraries like Lucasfilms, Marvel, Fox, Searchlight.

If they're only going to offer 500-600 movies at a time, they'll have to do a lot of rotating.
Old 04-12-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

$5.83/month for the 1-year commitment vs. the upcoming $16/month top plan on Netflix that has 4K and multiple screens is a steal for Disney +.

Netflix is still a relatively good deal, but it's only going to get more expensive in the future as they blow through more borrowed cash and rack up more and more debt.
Old 04-13-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I said before, I will be subscribing to this service when it comes to Canada. I'm thinking of subscribing yearly in the first year and then go from there in the subsequent years based on content and pricing.

I'm hoping that this service will be available for us Canadians on Nov. 12th too but even if we have to wait a bit, I'm okay with that.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/d...ervice-canada/
Old 04-17-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix will still have the advantage with R-rated and/or adult-oriented fare. You're never going to find a series like "Making a Murderer" or "Mindhunter" on Disney +. That's the area in which Netflix will continue to stay relevant.
Old 04-17-19, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Netflix will still have the advantage with R-rated and/or adult-oriented fare. You're never going to find a series like "Making a Murderer" or "Mindhunter" on Disney +. That's the area in which Netflix will continue to stay relevant.
I think Netflix will continue to stay relevant as long as they can afford to keep pumping out original content, but if a Hulu + Disney+ bundle comes out that is cheaper than Netflix, and Disney uses Hulu for all their over-PG13 stuff...
Old 04-17-19, 08:26 AM

My daughters love Netflix, but I find most of the content to be kind of mediocre these days... if it was just me watching I'd probably be cancelling on and off all year averaging around 6 mos a year. I see myself giving Disney+ a shot as two of my daughters are marvel fans as well as myself, would like to sample this for sure at this price point.
Old 04-17-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I mainly donít like being locked into one genre, as Iím always in the mood for different stuff. Thatís why I liked Netflix when they first started out, especially with the MGM catalog of B-studios.
Old 04-18-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
If Star Wars Episode IX isn't a pile of garbage like The Last Jedi then I will be getting Disney + for the Star Wars shows. If it is a piece of garbage like The Last Jedi I will not be bothering with any future Star Wars and just accept that the theatrical cuts of the Original Trilogy is my only Star Wars.
Given what we know about it so far, The Mandalorian series looks FAR more interesting than Episode IX.
Old 04-20-19, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Netflix will continue to stay relevant as long as they can afford to keep pumping out original content, but if a Hulu + Disney+ bundle comes out that is cheaper than Netflix, and Disney uses Hulu for all their over-PG13 stuff...
Hulu may have comparable or even better licensed material than Netflix but, all the other streaming services put together don't come close to the amount of original content you get from Netflix. They were the first to do this. The other services will have to spend billions to even attempt to catch up. Hulu has been at this for awhile and how many original shows can you name that people actually watch from them?
Old 04-20-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
Hulu may have comparable or even better licensed material than Netflix but, all the other streaming services put together don't come close to the amount of original content you get from Netflix. They were the first to do this. The other services will have to spend billions to even attempt to catch up. Hulu has been at this for awhile and how many original shows can you name that people actually watch from them?
This changes if Hulu becomes the repository for all Disney material over PG-13. They already have some deal for some more adult Marvel cartoons.
Old 04-22-19, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Probably not the ENTIRE movie library...
https://www.inquisitr.com/5331343/di...h-be-included/
Confirmed:

'Song of the South,' 'Dumbo's' Jim Crow Scene Will Not Be on Disney+
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...Ii0S3pLS1-009c

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.