Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Old 09-17-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I realize it’s not all just #1s, but several things I’m interested in, such as the Rebirth era, only shows #1s. Anyway, still waiting to see if I get the refund or if they tell me tough shit, you’re stuck with it.
It appears that DC doesn't want to undercut their own trade sales. They still have a lot of Rebirth inventory they likely want to move before uploading them to this service.

I'd give it a little time.
Old 09-17-18, 01:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I own almost every DC comic, film, and TV show ever released, but am still finding plenty to see on this service. I see at least a year of binge viewing ahead of me, and a handful of comics. The daily news and exclusive little interviews and such might be interesting, and I’ll keep my eye on the exclusive products.

So I’m feeling like I’ll get my money’s worth for at least 15 months, especially once the exclusive shows start dropping. Once this 15 months ends, I’ll hopefully have binged everything I don’t own, and then I’ll just get an occasional month to catch up.
Old 09-17-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Sheesh, tough crowd. I’m surprised no one else seems aggravated with all the first issues only.
I guess if I’m stuck with it I’ll try to make the most of it. I got it for comics, but there are some movies and shows that look good.
Old 09-17-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm subbed for the year because I'm a sucker for a deal.
I'll read 5 bucks worth of comics a month. I didn't finish YJ before Netflix pulled it off a couple years ago, and I want to watch Titans and Birds of Prey. I may cajole my son into watching some of the original Flash series.
Old 09-18-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

https://www.slashfilm.com/dc-universe-shows/

In a recent profile of DC Universe (via Variety), Warner Bros. Digital Networks president Craig Hunegs confirmed the plan to release a new episode of an original series each week, starting with Titans on October 12. With live-action shows like Swamp Things, Doom Patrol and Stargirl slated to follow, not to mention animated programming like Harley Quinn and Young Justice: Outsiders, they should have no problem keeping up with that schedule.

However, assuming all goes well with DC Universe and subscribers like what they’re seeing out of the original programming slate from the streaming service, the output of episodes will increase. The hope is that DC Universe will be churning out two new episodes per week by 2020. If we assume that the inaugural shows from the DC Universe first year of launch get another season, then it only makes sense to increase the output of original episodes since they’ll have continuing shows and also new shows debuting at the same time.
Old 09-18-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

2 a week! Don't go overboard!
Old 09-18-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Almost like live tv!

Is it on appletv? If so how do I use it? I don't see an icon and can't find how to add a channel for it. (I don't use Apple TV much).
Old 09-18-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I wish they would come out with a new Superfriends animated series.

Make it a clone of season 3 of the original series(co-starring the Legion of Doom).
Old 09-20-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I probably won't watch the DCEU movies because I have the bluray set. I don't actively collect comics, so I'm enjoying browsing what they're offering (I didn't know there was a Justice League reboot in the early 2000s, so that's a nice surprise, especially that I am currently in the midst of rereading my 80s JL/JLI/JLE collections.
I got a Roku and have been using DCU on it. So far I like the comic reader except for some weirdness - some issues I started on my phone, I can't access on Roku. I wonder if it's just a fluke problem or if there's some limitation. But the pics look pretty good and the panel to panel seems to work well.
Only watched one episode but it was fine.
I wish the Roku interface made it easier to browse the categories (movies, shows, comics) rather than just their listing of themed issues. Also, on all the devices I've tried, "My List" should be more up-front and center.
Old 09-20-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I wish they would come out with a new Superfriends animated series.

Make it a clone of season 3 of the original series(co-starring the Legion of Doom).
I've always wondered why the Superfriends cartoon has never been revived. It's practically a cultural touchstone for many of a certain generation. People that didn't even watch the cartoon are aware of it.

I got so jazzed when they introduced the Hall of Justice into DC Comics.
Old 09-20-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want this to be great, grew up reading DC...not feeling great at this time. I will give it another few months.
Old 09-20-18, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Has anyone been checking out the DC Daily show?

It can be viewed on the app or through DC's YouTube. I kind of like it. It's basically a broader version of DC's previous show "All-Access" But they do headlines, an extensive interview with a DC artist and then a panel discussion.

Right now since there's no fresh new DC TV to talk about the panel discussion have been only moderately interesting. They've talked about some classic shows and then a few days ago a comic series. I bet once the Arrowverse shows come back, there will be more talk.
Old 09-20-18, 11:44 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've always wondered why the Superfriends cartoon has never been revived. It's practically a cultural touchstone for many of a certain generation. People that didn't even watch the cartoon are aware of it.

Brave and the Bold came pretty close.

Anyone comment on the PQ/AQ of the service? I have access to various versions of the app? Is it at least 1080p? I know it's probably too much to expect 5.1DD.
Old 09-21-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Someone help this old curmudgeon: is this available over Amazon Fire? Nothing available in app store, can't find a confirmation either way online.
Old 09-21-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Someone help this old curmudgeon: is this available over Amazon Fire? Nothing available in app store, can't find a confirmation either way online.
Not yet
Old 09-21-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Hopefully they expand the platforms this is available on by the time Titans is out. It would seem rather foolish to not have this available on major devices like Xbox, PlayStation, or Amazon for what the service is advertising as one of its main selling points.
Old 09-21-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

What's the draw of a Superfriends revival that isn't satisfied with either something like Justice League, Brave and the Bold, or Justice League Action?
Old 09-21-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, if anything Justice League Action and Teen Titans Go! are kind of the modern day equivalents of something like Super Friends.
Old 09-21-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
What's the draw of a Superfriends revival that isn't satisfied with either something like Justice League, Brave and the Bold, or Justice League Action?
I'm talking a literal remake, using a lot of the idiosyncratic signature elements from the original show and the characters unique to Superfriends.

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice...
Old 09-21-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Honestly, I'd love a new Superfriends cartoon made in a retro style ala Sealab 2021, but not as entirely complete satire. Hell, set it in 1974 too.
Old 09-21-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could work. A lot of those early 2000s era Adult Swim shows in that style were pretty funny.
Old 09-22-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Before I rant, I realize it's only been a week and I think one of the reasons DC gave yearly subscribers the extra three months is because they were essentially launching a Beta version. That said:

- I think we've found a forum WORSE (hee hee) than DVD Talk, and it's on DC Universe. Has anyone checked this out? You can post a comment and that's about it. You can't quote other's text in your reply (in fact, it's a violation of their terms), you can't PM other users, you can't view other user's profiles, there's no way to get alerts of threads you commented on being added to, the threads automatically reload and jump back to the top whenever (a) you like a post or (b) every so many seconds. DC PROMISED an interactive community where you can meet other fans, but you CAN'T do that!

- The comic book reader looks great; however, it's glitchy and when reading in the panel-to-panel mode, it will often jump to the LAST panel of a page instead of the first one, making you backtrack.

- The "News" part of DC Daily is fine, but the rest of it is just congratulatory back-slapping for DC and the service. It's like the hosts (all 100 of them ) are clueless about what's going on with the service (they STILL say daily how the community is SO interactive, when it's not at all).

Granted, we should give DC time to fix all the bugs, but there's no indication that they have any intention of doing so.
Old 09-22-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Before I rant, I realize it's only been a week and I think one of the reasons DC gave yearly subscribers the extra three months is because they were essentially launching a Beta version. That said:

- I think we've found a forum WORSE (hee hee) than DVD Talk, and it's on DC Universe. Has anyone checked this out? You can post a comment and that's about it. You can't quote other's text in your reply (in fact, it's a violation of their terms), you can't PM other users, you can't view other user's profiles, there's no way to get alerts of threads you commented on being added to, the threads automatically reload and jump back to the top whenever (a) you like a post or (b) every so many seconds. DC PROMISED an interactive community where you can meet other fans, but you CAN'T do that!

Agree. The forum is horrible. Topics are all over the place and there's no moderation and dozens of duplicate topics.

I've sent a few e-mails to them complaining about what a mess the forum is and how they could fix it. I got replies saying they will take my suggestions and pass it off to the design team. They should have done better research on how to properly design a forum.
Old 09-22-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Is the forum really something only dc universe subscribers have access to? That alone would seem to kill any kind of discussions over time.
Old 09-22-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is the forum really something only dc universe subscribers have access to? That alone would seem to kill any kind of discussions over time.
Yes you need to have a DC Universe account to access it.

Also wanted to mention I re-watched the 90 minute Pilot (no commercials) of Lois and Clark last night.

I had not seen it in ages. Surprisingly IMO it still holds up pretty well. I forgot how super likable Cain and Hatcher were as Clark and Lois.

I probably won't re-watch it right away as I have many other newer shows I need to get through before Fall starts.

A couple of online TV/Movie Vloggers I follow say they won't sample the service until some of the original content launches. They say they just don't have the time to dig into old curated content right now and that's what the service really is offering at this point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.