Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
re: DC Universe streaming service

Figured they give it at least a year before declaring it a failure. I mean hell, there's only been Titans (which could've had more episodes) and Young Justice S3 in terms of original content... which has been fantastic.
Old 01-10-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I honestly wish WB had a single streaming service with different a la carte tiers.
  • DC Universe
  • Classic Animation
  • Contemporary Animation
  • Classic Cinema (their film vault)
  • Contemporary Cinema (modern films)
  • TV
Whatever. Something along those lines. $5 or something per, or maybe $20 for the lot. I'd be all over that, what questionnaires prospective
Old 01-10-19, 01:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Now that will sign me up. Hell, I'll even pay for DC Universe at that point.
Old 01-10-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Again, it goes back to studio support. Having a DC subscription service is a silly idea in of itself, even with original programming. Now if WB started a streaming service with all of their offerings (catalog shows, cartoons, all things DC, etc), then it could compete a lot better. A Marvel universe streaming service would suffer the same fate or close to it. But Disney is about to snuff out all of these niche services. I wonder how many of those services with under a million suscribers have survived and are profitable. This is the same. It won’t make money by churning out original good quality shows with few suscribers.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/cb...on-subscribers

People said the same thing about CBS All-Access in 2015. They said it was a stupid idea and who the hell is going to pay for a service that only has CBS shows. It started out really slow at roughly 100K subscribers in it's 1st year back in 2015.

Now as of August 2018, they have over 2.5M subscribers, 5 original shows, including Star Trek and 2 more new Star Treks coming. And a new Twilight Zone series. Plus, it just expanded into Canada in 2018.

Then again, not every "niche" service is successful. SeeSo, the NBC comedy streaming service, went under.

I just think you're being a little dismissive for something that hasn't even been around 6 months. I get it. Most of these streaming services are too niche and narrow for you and it's too much money to throw around so you have to be extremely picky on what you think has long-term value for you.

If 700,000 subscribers in that click bait article is even remotely accurate, that's really a decent start IMO for this service after only 4 months. Once they get a fuller library of original shows by Fall 2019, I think we could see some growth and maybe get closer to 1M by then or early 2020. Things take time and then we could get a better sense of it. Again, that article is to be taken with a grain of salt with all it's speculation.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-10-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Not dismissive, but again, CBS is a studio, and they got it right by continuing to add value after it began. WB does not have that kind of foresight, especially by offering one slice of their properties. Sure, it got the DC crowds excited, but that's all they're catering to. It'll die if they stick with just that. We'll have to see if they heed CBS and go that route by offering their other properties, or NBC who didn't do anything with it at all.
Old 01-10-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

People said the same thing about CBS All-Access in 2015. They said it was a stupid idea and who the hell is going to pay for a service that only has CBS shows. It started out really slow at roughly 100K subscribers in it's 1st year back in 2015.

Now as of August 2018, they have over 2.5M subscribers, 5 original shows, including Star Trek and 2 more new Star Treks coming. And a new Twilight Zone series. Plus, it just expanded into Canada in 2018.

Then again, not every "niche" service is successful. SeeSo, the NBC comedy streaming service, went under.

I just think you're being a little dismissive for something that hasn't even been around 6 months. I get it. Most of these streaming services are too niche and narrow for you and it's too much money to throw around so you have to be extremely picky on what you think has long-term value for you.

If 700,000 subscribers in that click bait article is even remotely accurate, that's really a decent start IMO for this service after only 4 months. Once they get a fuller library of original shows by Fall 2019, I think we could see some growth and maybe get closer to 1M by then or early 2020. Things take time and then we could get a better sense of it. Again, that article is to be taken with a grain of salt with all it's speculation.
I'm really surprised by this, I don't personally know anyone that subscribes to CBS, and I figured the main draw was to Trek fans. Good to see it's doing well, though.
Old 01-10-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Aren't they making money back anyway by licensing their stuff to Netflix for the international market?

Sort of how CBS is with Discovery.
Old 01-11-19, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I honestly wish WB had a single streaming service with different a la carte tiers.
  • DC Universe
  • Classic Animation
  • Contemporary Animation
  • Classic Cinema (their film vault)
  • Contemporary Cinema (modern films)
  • TV
Whatever. Something along those lines. $5 or something per, or maybe $20 for the lot. I'd be all over that, what questionnaires prospective
I’ve said this all along. Makes so much more sense in my opinion. DC on its own is too niche, but given WB owns it and has such a large library of other things to build a service off of it would seem more sensible to include it in an overall WB service.
Old 01-11-19, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The difference with CBS All Access (which I also have, and love) is that it launched with virtually the ENTIRE library of CBS shows (including those currently on the air) and has, to my knowledge, not played the game of yanking stuff off and then throwing it back up later...they've only been ADDING, not subtracting.
Old 01-27-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

If you belong to Warner Bros A-List community, keep an eye out for a "survey" asking if you'd be interested in a subscription to DC Universe. I said, "Yes" and about a week later I got a code for a free one year subscription to DC Universe. The way it read, there was no guarantee you'd qualify. I heard they were sending these out a few months ago too, but I didn't get anything back then.

So I'm in for a year. I've only watched 1st episode of Titans, a few of Teen Titans (never watched before), and the most recent DC Daily's that are up.

I enjoy comics, but don't have a lot of time to read. I usually read something for a few minutes before I go to bed.

PQ looks good so far on Roku 3, has anyone put anything out which is the best platform to use?

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 01-27-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
If you belong to Warner Bros A-List community, keep an eye out for a "survey" asking if you'd be interested in a subscription to DC Universe. I said, "Yes" and about a week later I got a code for a free one year subscription to DC Universe. The way it read, there was no guarantee you'd qualify. I heard they were sending these out a few months ago too, but I didn't get anything back then.

So I'm in for a year. I've only watched 1st episode of Titans, a few of Teen Titans (never watched before), and the most recent DC Daily's that are up.

I enjoy comics, but don't have a lot of time to read. I usually read something for a few minutes before I go to bed.

PQ looks good so far on Roku 3, has anyone put anything out which is the best platform to use?
Right around Christmas I got the email with the free one year subscription, only have used it a few times so far. I need to use it more while I have it, because I doubt that I re-up unless they start putting more stuff out there.
Old 01-28-19, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I got it also, but lack of 5.1 sound is a dealbreaker and I've told them as such. I do want to check out the first two Wonder Woman TV seasons as I've never seen those (have season 3 on disc.)
Old 01-28-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Lucky!
Old 01-29-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

DC Universe announced they are adding thousands of new comics in 2019 with complete story arcs. Biggest complaint from many of those who use the comics portion is that many stories are incomplete.

Old 01-29-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The comics part is one part Ive barely touched. Sigh...

For those of you who do read the comic on there what's your fave method of doing so? Smartphone? Laptop? TV? I tried on the TV but the formatting was weird. The smartphone was kinda small.
Old 01-29-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have to believe tablet is the preferred way. I tried it on the tv too and just couldn't do it; full page was too small (even though the screen is bigger) and going through each panel is kind of torturous.

Tablet you can easily view upright, is about the size of a comic book depending on which tablet you have, and can easily be reoriented to landscape.
Old 01-29-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I have to believe tablet is the preferred way. I tried it on the tv too and just couldn't do it; full page was too small (even though the screen is bigger) and going through each panel is kind of torturous.

Tablet you can easily view upright, is about the size of a comic book depending on which tablet you have, and can easily be reoriented to landscape.
Ah thanks.

Shit. Our tablet is old and can't even run the DCU app When I try to go to the site it forces me back to the app..that I can't run. FUCK!
Old 01-30-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Honest question. What were you expecting content wise? You have a new original series, Young Justice is starting there is a lot to keep you occupied. But you have complained about content lacking. Did you want every series to launch the same day or what?
Honest answer: the CBS All Access app (which I'm using as a comparison here, as they have similar pricing points) launched with over 7,000 episodes of available content from their archive. To date, they've only ADDED, not subtracted. CBS shares its series with other apps like Netflix and Hulu. Warners decides to cut exclusive deals for a little more $$$ at the expense of not providing said series on the DC app. For every archival show or movie DC adds, they subtract one. Their comic book selection is dismal (that may be changing, but we'll see!), even though there's plenty of room to put up thousands of titles. Again, for every comic book series they add, they remove one. It's a bare-bones app compared to their competitors.
Old 01-30-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Honest answer: the CBS All Access app (which I'm using as a comparison here, as they have similar pricing points) launched with over 7,000 episodes of available content from their archive. To date, they've only ADDED, not subtracted. CBS shares its series with other apps like Netflix and Hulu. Warners decides to cut exclusive deals for a little more $$$ at the expense of not providing said series on the DC app. For every archival show or movie DC adds, they subtract one. Their comic book selection is dismal (that may be changing, but we'll see!), even though there's plenty of room to put up thousands of titles. Again, for every comic book series they add, they remove one. It's a bare-bones app compared to their competitors.
Just to correct you somewhat, I subscribe to CBS All-Access and they don't keep everything or have the rights to every CBS IP. They don't have the rights to back seasons of NCIS Los Angeles for some odd reason and only post the currently airing season. Once the new season starts, the previous season gets removed.

They also don't have the rights to back seasons of The Big Bang Theory, Life in Pieces and S.W.A.T. They don't even have the rights to popular CBS IP's like the complete series of CSI and CSI New York. CSI only has select episodes that get rotated and NY isn't even there. The complete series of CSI is actually licensed out to Hulu, which is odd.
Old 01-30-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just to correct you somewhat, I subscribe to CBS All-Access and they don't keep everything or have the rights to every CBS IP. They don't have the rights to back seasons of NCIS Los Angeles for some odd reason and only post the currently airing season. Once the new season starts, the previous season gets removed.

They also don't have the rights to back seasons of The Big Bang Theory, Life in Pieces and S.W.A.T. They don't even have the rights to popular CBS IP's like the complete series of CSI and CSI New York. CSI only has select episodes that get rotated and NY isn't even there. The complete series of CSI is actually licensed out to Hulu, which is odd.
I think the main complaint still stands, though. DC Universe doesn't have a ton of content, so it's super noticeable when they don't just add to it, but add and subtract.

Plus they need to fix the freaking Fire app already, it should be able to close gracefully.

I asked before, but is there a way to browse the content? Like not just search for it, but browse.
Old 01-30-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I think the main complaint still stands, though. DC Universe doesn't have a ton of content, so it's super noticeable when they don't just add to it, but add and subtract.

Plus they need to fix the freaking Fire app already, it should be able to close gracefully.

I asked before, but is there a way to browse the content? Like not just search for it, but browse.
It's kind of hard to compare CBS and DC. CBS has been around for a really really long time and has produced thousands of TV shows over the last half century. Does DC have 7,000 episodes of TV and 500 movies in their back catalog? No. They barely have any live action TV shows in their library. But, I do understand the issues about some movies being rotated out for no rhyme or reason other than maybe short term licensing and some other provider offering more $$$ to take it for xx number of months or years. But people saying no....they need to have every DC IP and it needs to stay forever are kidding themselves, especially only 4 months into launch. This service was designed from what I understand to be built around the original shows, which are slowly rolling out. 11 episodes of the newly produced Titans and 13 episodes of the newly produced first 1/2 season of Young Justice are a decent start IMO.
Old 01-30-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01...n_learn%20more

IGN can exclusively reveal that two more classic animated shows will be added to DC Universe's lineup next month: Premiering February 1, The New Batman Adventures (1997-1999) joins the two seasons of Batman: The Animated series already available to stream on the platform; while The Batman (2004-2008), with Rino Romano voicing the Dark Knight, premieres February 8. As previously announced, Titans spinoff Doom Patrol will debut on February 15, following the same weekly rollout pattern as Titans, and the DC animated movie Reign of the Supermen (read our review here) premiered on the service yesterday - the same date that the film was released on DVD and Blu-ray.

Season 1 of Krypton is also set to debut on DC Universe this Spring, with a premiere date to be announced. If you're looking for something to watch before Doom Patrol premieres, Season 1 of Titans and the first 13 episodes of Young Justice: Outsiders are now available to stream, in addition to the platform's selection of classic live-action and animated series.

The new TV and film offerings accompany the expansion of DC Universe's comic book library, which will have doubled in size from its initial launch by the end of March, according to DC. Check out a list of newly added and upcoming comics below:

Releasing on 1/29:
  • Action Comics (2016)
  • Batman (2011)
  • Batman Incorporated
  • Batman: The War of Jokes & Riddles
  • Flashpoint
  • Gotham Central
  • Harley Quinn (2000, 2013)
  • Justice League: Darkseid War
  • The Omega Men
  • Static Shock
  • Swamp Thing (Alan Moore’s Arc)
  • Superman: For All Seasons
  • Wonder Woman
New Releases Weekly to Include:
  • Animal Man (Grant Morrison’s Arc)
  • Aquaman (2016)
  • Batgirl (2009)
  • Batman: Hush
  • Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
  • Batman: Year One
  • Forever Evil
  • Hawkworld
  • JSA (1999)
  • Midnighter & Apollo
  • Planetary
  • Superman: Secret Origin
  • The Wild Storm
Old 02-01-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

"The New Batman Adventures" remastered in HD is now available on DC Universe. 24 episodes. Some consider this the reboot of Batman the animated series. I believe this season is also on the new BD set.
Old 02-01-19, 09:54 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I wish they'd take some of their important comic book storylines and turn them into motion comics like Watchmen and Buffy: Season 8.
Old 02-05-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really surprised by this, I don't personally know anyone that subscribes to CBS, and I figured the main draw was to Trek fans. Good to see it's doing well, though.
I subscribe and I love it. I probably use it more than I use Hulu. FAR more than I used DC Universe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.