Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-11-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Subset construction starts Saturday, 8/25!

Previously used subsets used can be found on post 3.

Subset volunteers needed: 10

Print Wikipost

WB to launch DC streaming service -- DC Universe

Old 01-10-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: WB to launch DC streaming service -- DC Universe

Figured they give it at least a year before declaring it a failure. I mean hell, there's only been Titans (which could've had more episodes) and Young Justice S3 in terms of original content... which has been fantastic.
Old 01-10-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly wish WB had a single streaming service with different a la carte tiers.
  • DC Universe
  • Classic Animation
  • Contemporary Animation
  • Classic Cinema (their film vault)
  • Contemporary Cinema (modern films)
  • TV
Whatever. Something along those lines. $5 or something per, or maybe $20 for the lot. I'd be all over that, what questionnaires prospective
Old 01-10-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that will sign me up. Hell, I'll even pay for DC Universe at that point.
Old 01-10-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Again, it goes back to studio support. Having a DC subscription service is a silly idea in of itself, even with original programming. Now if WB started a streaming service with all of their offerings (catalog shows, cartoons, all things DC, etc), then it could compete a lot better. A Marvel universe streaming service would suffer the same fate or close to it. But Disney is about to snuff out all of these niche services. I wonder how many of those services with under a million suscribers have survived and are profitable. This is the same. It won’t make money by churning out original good quality shows with few suscribers.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/cb...on-subscribers

People said the same thing about CBS All-Access in 2015. They said it was a stupid idea and who the hell is going to pay for a service that only has CBS shows. It started out really slow at roughly 100K subscribers in it's 1st year back in 2015.

Now as of August 2018, they have over 2.5M subscribers, 5 original shows, including Star Trek and 2 more new Star Treks coming. And a new Twilight Zone series. Plus, it just expanded into Canada in 2018.

Then again, not every "niche" service is successful. SeeSo, the NBC comedy streaming service, went under.

I just think you're being a little dismissive for something that hasn't even been around 6 months. I get it. Most of these streaming services are too niche and narrow for you and it's too much money to throw around so you have to be extremely picky on what you think has long-term value for you.

If 700,000 subscribers in that click bait article is even remotely accurate, that's really a decent start IMO for this service after only 4 months. Once they get a fuller library of original shows by Fall 2019, I think we could see some growth and maybe get closer to 1M by then or early 2020. Things take time and then we could get a better sense of it. Again, that article is to be taken with a grain of salt with all it's speculation.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-10-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not dismissive, but again, CBS is a studio, and they got it right by continuing to add value after it began. WB does not have that kind of foresight, especially by offering one slice of their properties. Sure, it got the DC crowds excited, but that's all they're catering to. It'll die if they stick with just that. We'll have to see if they heed CBS and go that route by offering their other properties, or NBC who didn't do anything with it at all.
Old 01-10-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

People said the same thing about CBS All-Access in 2015. They said it was a stupid idea and who the hell is going to pay for a service that only has CBS shows. It started out really slow at roughly 100K subscribers in it's 1st year back in 2015.

Now as of August 2018, they have over 2.5M subscribers, 5 original shows, including Star Trek and 2 more new Star Treks coming. And a new Twilight Zone series. Plus, it just expanded into Canada in 2018.

Then again, not every "niche" service is successful. SeeSo, the NBC comedy streaming service, went under.

I just think you're being a little dismissive for something that hasn't even been around 6 months. I get it. Most of these streaming services are too niche and narrow for you and it's too much money to throw around so you have to be extremely picky on what you think has long-term value for you.

If 700,000 subscribers in that click bait article is even remotely accurate, that's really a decent start IMO for this service after only 4 months. Once they get a fuller library of original shows by Fall 2019, I think we could see some growth and maybe get closer to 1M by then or early 2020. Things take time and then we could get a better sense of it. Again, that article is to be taken with a grain of salt with all it's speculation.
I'm really surprised by this, I don't personally know anyone that subscribes to CBS, and I figured the main draw was to Trek fans. Good to see it's doing well, though.
Old 01-10-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Aren't they making money back anyway by licensing their stuff to Netflix for the international market?

Sort of how CBS is with Discovery.
Old 01-11-19, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I honestly wish WB had a single streaming service with different a la carte tiers.
  • DC Universe
  • Classic Animation
  • Contemporary Animation
  • Classic Cinema (their film vault)
  • Contemporary Cinema (modern films)
  • TV
Whatever. Something along those lines. $5 or something per, or maybe $20 for the lot. I'd be all over that, what questionnaires prospective
Iíve said this all along. Makes so much more sense in my opinion. DC on its own is too niche, but given WB owns it and has such a large library of other things to build a service off of it would seem more sensible to include it in an overall WB service.
Old 01-11-19, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

The difference with CBS All Access (which I also have, and love) is that it launched with virtually the ENTIRE library of CBS shows (including those currently on the air) and has, to my knowledge, not played the game of yanking stuff off and then throwing it back up later...they've only been ADDING, not subtracting.