Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig

reasonable prices? Even at 99c a comic, it's prohibitively expensive for even a fraction of the content.

Early on the lack of comics content was a joke but they really expanded it.
I suppose it depends on how much you’re really reading/buying. You also buy and keep that content from Comixology or wherever rather than just stream or essentially rent it.

For me when it comes to things like that if I buy it I know I’ll actually read it, whereas when it’s just there it becomes one of those things where I’ll get to it at some point and that point never comes. Plus they seem to run sales pretty regularly.

The comic content is nice and I didn’t mean to downplay it necessarily. It just seems to me that the shows are what’s really selling the service.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-09-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You guys really don't get the need or benefit of HBO GO and HBO Now existing?
Old 07-09-19, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
We get the benefit of the app. What we don't get is why WB has to different HBO apps that do the exact same thing. It's redundant. And now with HBO Max, I don't understand as to why anyone will keep HBO Now.
Old 07-09-19, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, for starters DC Universe is not just an SVOD app. It's also digital comics and there's over 20,000+ now.

HBO Max is only a video app. You shut down DC Universe and where do the comics do? There's thousands of people who became subscribers to DC Universe for the comics alone.

I do agree about HBO Go and HBO Now. It's the exact same app, the only difference is HBO Now is for non-cable subscribers. All they have to do to fix that is add an extra log-in prompt like what Starz does for cable/satellite subscribers to log-in.
WB could easily create a separate app for the comics if you subscribe to HBO Max or they can keep the DC app as the place you get access to comic books if you sub to HBO Max. It's not that complicated.
Old 07-09-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I understand what he's saying. HBO Go and HBO Now are exactly the same app. Only difference is Now you have purchase for $15/month and Go comes with your cable or satellite subscription.

All they have to do is enable two separate log-ins for Now so that both parties can access the app. It's what Starz does with their app. It is actually redundant to have 2 separate apps. Showtime also has two separate apps.

I'm guessing you probably borrow a friend or family member's Go log-in, so you seem to think if they cut out one app that would screw you and force you to actually pay for it?
Old 07-09-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Hood
WB could easily create a separate app for the comics if you subscribe to HBO Max or they can keep the DC app as the place you get access to comic books if you sub to HBO Max. It's not that complicated.

And I forget to mention that DC Universe's app also has an interactive message board, a DC Encyclopedia, DC news, and an area to shop for DC products.

The whole thing is that it's the Netflix for DC digital comics and that was one of the biggest selling points when it came out last Fall. Buying a la carte digital comics for every issue you want from DC is super expensive compared to the only $7.99/month you pay to read as much as you want.

I highly doubt that HBO Max will have those extra features. Sure they could kill DC Universe in 1-2 years. We simply don't know. I'm just saying the current incarnation of DC Universe has multiple features that probably won't be able to transitioned to HBO Max. And it wouldn't be cost efficient IMO to launch a separate apps with re-designs and such. If you kill the whole comics portion altogether, you're going to make a lot of people very unhappy.
Old 07-10-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I understand what he's saying. HBO Go and HBO Now are exactly the same app. Only difference is Now you have purchase for $15/month and Go comes with your cable or satellite subscription.

All they have to do is enable two separate log-ins for Now so that both parties can access the app. It's what Starz does with their app. It is actually redundant to have 2 separate apps. Showtime also has two separate apps.

I'm guessing you probably borrow a friend or family member's Go log-in, so you seem to think if they cut out one app that would screw you and force you to actually pay for it?

I'm just saying who cares if they are the same? GO was grandfathered in and could go away sooner or later, and NOW is a nice "HBO only" alternative for those who don't want a big cable bill and just wants HBO. I think Game of Thrones had a lot to do with the NOW. It's just that simple.

As far as your shady bitch comment about me using someone else's log-in you are correct. Never hid that fact. Been doing so since when one of the HBO Heads literally said they didn't care about people sharing log-ins. But to answer your shade, if GO went away I would just pay for MAX and wait for DC Universe to get folded in.
Old 07-10-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Hood

That's what I was thinking.
Old 07-10-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm just saying who cares if they are the same? GO was grandfathered in and could go away sooner or later, and NOW is a nice "HBO only" alternative for those who don't want a big cable bill and just wants HBO. I think Game of Thrones had a lot to do with the NOW. It's just that simple.

As far as your shady bitch comment about me using someone else's log-in you are correct. Never hid that fact. Been doing so since when one of the HBO Heads literally said they didn't care about people sharing log-ins. But to answer your shade, if GO went away I would just pay for MAX and wait for DC Universe to get folded in.
Sorry dude. I came across a little harsh saying that. I guess I'm just a little bitter because 6 months ago I let a "friend" use my log-in and that person passed it around to multiple people and it got so out of control I had to change my password multiple times. I had so many unaccounted mysterious movies/shows that I never watched. I paid good money for HBO and I thought I was being nice and the person took advantage of my generosity. So I didn't mean to sound like a dick to you. At least you're watching your shit legally and not doing the shady ass "alternative means" stuff that many do. So again sorry. I know no one likes to be accused of doing some shady things by a stranger, so you had the right to get mad at the comment.
Old 07-10-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.businessinsider.com/warn...hbo-max-2019-7

Business Insider reports also that DC Universe isn't going anywhere. Business Insider reported the mess that happened with Movie Pass, so they're pretty reliable with their stuff.

I'm a little confused though. It says that HBO Max will offer DC Universe programming. So I wonder if they will also carry Titans, Doom Patrol and such?
Old 07-10-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me to see Titans and Doom Patrol show up on other streaming services once Warner thinks they've gotten all they can from them on DC Universe. They've already decided releasing them to home video, which undercuts their exclusivity.

I could even see Netflix carrying them at some point to grow DC's fanbase.
Old 07-10-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah I'm not believing there's much long term exclusivity. Netflix already has the rights to some shows internationally.
If the DCU folded and was absorbed into Warner I might follow it depending on the price. It would be a shame to lose access to the comics though, they have really upped their game on those.
Old 07-11-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Maybe DC Universe gets the original programming first and then it shows up later on HBO Max? Or maybe they're just going to focus on making DC Universe a comic-book reading app first and original programming as a bonus? Either way, it doesn't sound like there's a lot of reason to subscribe to both apps - unless you really like the comic books.
Old 07-30-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Here's what is coming to DC Universe in August

It's the moment you've been waiting for- the announcement of the next batch of goodies for the month to come! In addition to all the delicious comic books AND 4K Ultra HD episodes of Swamp Thing, Titans, Doom Patrol, and Young Justice: Outsiders (Part 1), this month we'll also be dropping:
• Constantine 2005 (8/1) ��️
• Swamp Thing Season Finale (8/2) ��
• DC Spotlight: SHAZAM! (8/9) ⚡️
• Batman HUSH (8/13) ��
• Young Justice: Outsiders New Episodes (8/6, 8/13, 8/20)��*��*��*��
• Aquaman (1967) Remastered HD (8/16) ��
• Batman Beyond Remastered HD season 1 (8/23) ��
• Young Justice: Outsiders Season Finale (8/27) ��*��*��*��

With nothing leaving the service! ��
Old 07-30-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I read Hush after joining this service.
wasnt as good as I expected.

Predictable.
Old 07-30-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Batman Beyond remastered in HD? That is fucking excellent
Old 07-30-19, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Batman Beyond remastered in HD? That is fucking excellent
iThe entire series is coming out on Blu-ray later this year.
you can order it now.
Old 07-31-19, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Here's what is coming to DC Universe in August
August is going to be a great month! I'm looking forward to Batman Beyond the most. It's one of my all time favorite Super Hero shows.
Old 07-31-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony

iThe entire series is coming out on Blu-ray later this year.
you can order it now.
I know. But I don't have to buy it since I have DC Universe.
Old 07-31-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I read Hush after joining this service.
wasnt as good as I expected.

Predictable.
Hush is legendary for Jim Lee's art, the plot is almost secondary. The Absolute edition is gorgeous. Hush's reveal was supposed to be someone else until editorial forced them to change his identity at the last minute.
Old 07-31-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jim lee never did anything for me.
Old 08-14-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Batman: Hush is now available to stream as of today for those who have been waiting.

There is also a new 52 minute documentary on the history of Shazam! called "DC Spotlight: Shazam"
Old 08-14-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched Batman: Hush yesterday. Decent. Question for those familiar with the comic version if it. Only click of you have seen movie:

Spoiler:
Hush was Wayne's friend, the surgeon, in comics right? In this, I was totally not expecting it to be the Riddler.
Old 08-14-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes that’s correct and unfortunately the email notice didn’t block that spoiler and now anyone or at last me was spoiled by that info.

Old 08-15-19, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Watched Batman: Hush yesterday. Decent. Question for those familiar with the comic version if it. Only click of you have seen movie:

Spoiler:
Hush was Wayne's friend, the surgeon, in comics right? In this, I was totally not expecting it to be the Riddler.
I watched it last night and thought it was great.
Spoiler:
They should have kept Brue Wayne's friend as Hush. It was a huge letdown to when it was revealed the Riddler of all people, was Hush.

Other than that, I don't know the reason why they aren't voicing Batman and the Joker, but any film without Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, is a huge drop off in the voice acting department.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.