Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Only Titans was picked up for a 2nd season among the current crop of DCU originals. And that's currently in production for a Fall premiere.

Doom Patrol is still waiting for news. But, I think WB is probably holding off on renewing it until after Comic Con. I don't see why they wouldn't renew it. It was probably the best reviewed of their originals.
Old 06-28-19, 02:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Just watched the 5th episode of Swamp Thing, and it continues to rock. Very much a horror vibe, like the original comic run in the 70s.
Old 06-28-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just watched the 5th episode of Swamp Thing, and it continues to rock. Very much a horror vibe, like the original comic run in the 70s.
You know there’s a Swamp Thing thread right?

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/64...5-31-19-a.html

Not sure why you wanted to post it in the service thread. Don't you want the actual show to get more attention?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-28-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I've seen other discussions in this thread about content. It may be good to post in both places. For instance I appreciate reading the general comments without going into a thread that may contain spoilers.
Old 06-28-19, 08:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And since Swamp Thing has already been canceled, I don’t think it matters whether or not it gets attention now.

FWIW, wife and I enjoyed it, even knowing it was canceled. Didn’t really care for more though.
Old 06-28-19, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
And since Swamp Thing has already been canceled, I don’t think it matters whether or not it gets attention now.

FWIW, wife and I enjoyed it, even knowing it was canceled. Didn’t really care for more though.
It hasn't even finished airing yet. Only half the season has aired.

They wanted to do a 3-season arc until the plug got pulled.
Old 06-28-19, 08:37 PM
Banned by request

Ah, so is there still a possibility there may be another season? We obviously tuned out after Abby got back to town. Good Omens seems to have our attention right now.
Old 06-28-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ah, so is there still a possibility there may be another season? We obviously tuned out after Abby got back to town. Good Omens seems to have our attention right now.
No, the plug was pulled when they has 3 episodes left to shoot. Episode 10 is the series finale.

Old 06-28-19, 08:46 PM
Banned by request

Hell, makes it hard to retain viewers by doing that.
Old 06-29-19, 04:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

You know there’s a Swamp Thing thread right?
Of course.
Originally Posted by b2net
I've seen other discussions in this thread about content. It may be good to post in both places. For instance I appreciate reading the general comments without going into a thread that may contain spoilers.
This.
Old 07-01-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Has anyone watched the "Shorts" on DCU? I think these might also be on DC's youtube channel?

Anyway, yhey all seem a few years old and also seem to be half done. By that I mean many only have 1 or 2 eps with no conclusion, while others seems to have a few more eps some with no conclusion. It's like the just gave up on them. But they area pretty good.
Old 07-01-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

DC Universe/DC Comics is apparently going to have a big presence at Comic Con.

They're promoting Titans, Young Justice, Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn as well as other DC Properties on TV. Hopefully this also means they will also announce the 2nd season renewal of Doom Patrol. They wouldn't promote it at Comic Con if it was a dead IP like Swamp Thing.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...iego-comic-con
Old 07-01-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Has anyone watched the "Shorts" on DCU? I think these might also be on DC's youtube channel?

Anyway, yhey all seem a few years old and also seem to be half done. By that I mean many only have 1 or 2 eps with no conclusion, while others seems to have a few more eps some with no conclusion. It's like the just gave up on them. But they area pretty good.
Do you mean the DC Nation ones (like Animal Man, Amethyst, Shazam, etc.)? They were a series of shorts that ran on Cartoon Network that were just abandoned after a while, but stuff like Teen Titans Go came out of it (and much later, the newest iteration of Superhero Girls came out of Super Best Friends Forever).

the annoying thing is that these are super short and the app wants to move onto the next one before it's even done.
Old 07-01-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Doom Patrol hits Blu-ray on October 1st.
Old 07-02-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Do you mean the DC Nation ones (like Animal Man, Amethyst, Shazam, etc.)? They were a series of shorts that ran on Cartoon Network that were just abandoned after a while, but stuff like Teen Titans Go came out of it (and much later, the newest iteration of Superhero Girls came out of Super Best Friends Forever).

the annoying thing is that these are super short and the app wants to move onto the next one before it's even done.
I guess so.
Old 07-07-19, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Can someone explain to me why is DC Universe taking content off their streaming channel? I just saw a report online saying that all the Batman Burton/Schumaker films plus other stuff is going to be off the service this month.
Old 07-07-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Can someone explain to me why is DC Universe taking content off their streaming channel? I just saw a report online saying that all the Batman Burton/Schumaker films plus other stuff is going to be off the service this month.
They've been rotating content since the launch. Some movies have stayed on since the launch and others have stayed for 3-4 months.

The Burton/Schumacher Batman movies are currently licensed as free ad-supported streams to Vudu. The Dark Knight and Bartman Begins is currently licensed out to Netflix. I think it's just a way for DC/WB to get extra means of revenue.
Old 07-07-19, 01:15 PM
Banned

They've been rotating content since the launch. Some movies have stayed on since the launch and others have stayed for 3-4 months.

The Burton/Schumacher Batman movies are currently licensed as free ad-supported streams to Vudu. The Dark Knight and Bartman Begins is currently licensed out to Netflix. I think it's just a way for DC/WB to get extra means of revenue.
I understand wanting to make extra money in licensing but I feel that it defeats the purpose of owning and running a streaming service when the content that fits the mold and that they own is now being given to other streaming companies.
Old 07-09-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

DC Universe will not be dissolved due to the launch of HBO Max.

Old 07-09-19, 03:30 PM
Banned

DC Universe will not be dissolved due to the launch of HBO Max.

https://twitter.com/Snoodit/status/1148679620012548096
I feel the numbers game will change that. Why would AT&T/WB, who's in a cost-cutting measure move, keep supporting and investing on redundant apps that provide the same content as their new, one-stop shop of HBO Max? I still don't understand why there are separate HBO Now/ HBO Go apps, since they basically provide the same service. But again, this is WB, who's famous for doing shit half-assed
Old 07-09-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I feel the numbers game will change that. Why would AT&T/WB, who's in a cost-cutting measure move, keep supporting and investing on redundant apps that provide the same content as their new, one-stop shop of HBO Max? I still don't understand why there are separate HBO Now/ HBO Go apps, since they basically provide the same service. But again, this is WB, who's famous for doing shit half-assed
Well, for starters DC Universe is not just an SVOD app. It's also digital comics and there's over 20,000+ now.

HBO Max is only a video app. You shut down DC Universe and where do the comics do? There's thousands of people who became subscribers to DC Universe for the comics alone.

I do agree about HBO Go and HBO Now. It's the exact same app, the only difference is HBO Now is for non-cable subscribers. All they have to do to fix that is add an extra log-in prompt like what Starz does for cable/satellite subscribers to log-in.
Old 07-09-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I feel like the comic aspect of DC Universe is just a bonus really. It’s nice to have it but I’d be curious as to how many people who subscribe use that aspect of it. People who really want the comic content can get it from Comixology or other similar apps which have large libraries available for reasonable prices.
Old 07-09-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
I feel like the comic aspect of DC Universe is just a bonus really. It’s nice to have it but I’d be curious as to how many people who subscribe use that aspect of it. People who really want the comic content can get it from Comixology or other similar apps which have large libraries available for reasonable prices.
You obviously don't know the fan base, but I've been a subscriber since day 1 and the comics is definitely not a "bonus" It was one of the main selling points and due to the fan outcry, they upgraded the comics data base to well over 20,000+ in the last few months.

There's thousands of people on there for only comics.
Old 07-09-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I mean to some I’m sure that’s a factor, but the selling point seems to be the original content.

My point was mainly that you can get the comic content from other places if DC Universe didn’t exist and folded into the WB service.
Old 07-09-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
reasonable prices? Even at 99c a comic, it's prohibitively expensive for even a fraction of the content.

Early on the lack of comics content was a joke but they really expanded it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.