Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Universe streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Old 03-15-19, 03:52 PM
  #351  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,416
Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

hang on
Old 03-15-19, 04:42 PM
  #352  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,616
Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya


Roku, Apple TV, Android and Amazon Fire TV.
i have a Sony Android tv, but no way of adding this app...
Old 03-15-19, 04:44 PM
  #353  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,223
Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i have a Sony Android tv, but no way of adding this app...
Android TV devices. Not smart TV's.
Old 03-15-19, 04:45 PM
  #354  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i have a Sony Android tv, but no way of adding this app...
If it's not in the google play store, your version of android probably isn't compatible (not sure if you can update it). It's definitely in the store, though.

It's also why I'm not a big fan of "smart" tvs, since I've had situations in the past where the tv will either stop being compatible with the app or the app stops getting updated, and then what do you do, buy a new tv?
Old 03-15-19, 05:28 PM
  #355  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 49,616
Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

gotcha. thanks guys. oh well.
Old 03-15-19, 09:42 PM
  #356  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,136
Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
If it's not in the google play store, your version of android probably isn't compatible (not sure if you can update it). It's definitely in the store, though.

It's also why I'm not a big fan of "smart" tvs, since I've had situations in the past where the tv will either stop being compatible with the app or the app stops getting updated, and then what do you do, buy a new tv?
I downloaded fine it to my Sharp Android TV...

Android TV and Roku TVs get system updates periodically. Latest update let me tweak the picture settings for Vudu so I can turn off motion enhancement and added additonal Dolby Vision settings.
Old 03-16-19, 09:54 PM
  #357  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,720
Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
It is kind of amazing to me that they don't have an app for any of the consoles yet.
Yeah, I had to watch all but the last episode of Titans on my tablet. They finally released a Fire Stick app right before the end of the season. It was annoying.
Old 03-23-19, 07:09 PM
  #358  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
IDrinkMolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DE
Posts: 5,149
Received 875 Likes on 394 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

DC Universe Will Be Free For One Day Only To Honor Batmanís 80th Birthday


On Saturday, March 30th - Batmanís Birthday - popular films, TV series and comics featuring the Dark Knight will be available for free on DC UNIVERSE

First month of DC UNIVERSE Digital Subscription Service only $0.80 for a limited time
(for new members who sign up between March 29, 2019, 12:01 EST and April 4, 2019 11:59pm EST)

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/0...eam-free-event

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 03-23-19 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-23-19, 10:13 PM
  #359  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,301
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Sweet,I’ll binge some stuff.
Old 03-23-19, 11:03 PM
  #360  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
IDrinkMolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DE
Posts: 5,149
Received 875 Likes on 394 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

I'm not sure they're going to give full access to everything or just Batman shows/movies/comics.
The article does say:
Viewers enjoying the stream free event will not have access to the DC UNIVERSE community or shop where exclusive merchandise is sold. Those areas of the service are exclusive to DC UNIVERSE members and are not included.
Old 03-25-19, 10:54 AM
  #361  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

I don't think I've ever even used the community or shop.
Old 03-27-19, 05:00 PM
  #362  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 63,382
Received 1,871 Likes on 1,151 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

DC Universe code for 20% off 74.99 annual sub... $59.99..Exp 3/31/19

BAT80RandallusPrimeDCU
Old 03-28-19, 08:19 AM
  #363  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

It's still weird to me that they treat it like a second tier service when it comes to movies. None of the current crop of DC movies are on there. Something like Teen Titans Go To the Movies goes to HBO (which also has Justice League and Wonder Woman right now). I don't even remember any of the current DC cinematic movies being on there at all, did they ever have like MoS or BvS?

It's cool they do have oddities like the 1974 Cathy Lee Crosby Wonder Woman pilot, though.
Old 03-28-19, 12:15 PM
  #364  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,281
Likes: 0
Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's still weird to me that they treat it like a second tier service when it comes to movies. None of the current crop of DC movies are on there. Something like Teen Titans Go To the Movies goes to HBO (which also has Justice League and Wonder Woman right now). I don't even remember any of the current DC cinematic movies being on there at all, did they ever have like MoS or BvS?

It's cool they do have oddities like the 1974 Cathy Lee Crosby Wonder Woman pilot, though.
More than likely the rights were already sold before plans for the app came to fruition. Once that expires, they'll be added.

Old 03-28-19, 12:23 PM
  #365  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,223
Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's still weird to me that they treat it like a second tier service when it comes to movies. None of the current crop of DC movies are on there. Something like Teen Titans Go To the Movies goes to HBO (which also has Justice League and Wonder Woman right now). I don't even remember any of the current DC cinematic movies being on there at all, did they ever have like MoS or BvS?

It's cool they do have oddities like the 1974 Cathy Lee Crosby Wonder Woman pilot, though.
Man of Steel and Batman v Superman are still airing on basic cable. As dex14 said the TV rights for the DCEU were probably sold ages ago before this service came about. We donít know how long the contracts are.

DC Universe as mentioned before is slowly being built around the original series.
Old 03-28-19, 01:06 PM
  #366  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

I'd have thought streaming rights would be different from tv rights (since I don't think MoS or BvS are on any of the streaming services right now), but yeah I was probably mistaken. It just seems odd to me if you're trying to get, say, a friend to subscribe, and you have to tell them they have none of the recent theatrical movies, none of the recent cartoons (no JLAction, Super Hero Girls, TT Go), and none of the recent tv shows. I wonder what their subscriber numbers are like and what their expectations are ahead of a WB service coming in.
Old 03-28-19, 01:26 PM
  #367  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,782
Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'd have thought streaming rights would be different from tv rights (since I don't think MoS or BvS are on any of the streaming services right now), but yeah I was probably mistaken. It just seems odd to me if you're trying to get, say, a friend to subscribe, and you have to tell them they have none of the recent theatrical movies, none of the recent cartoons (no JLAction, Super Hero Girls, TT Go), and none of the recent tv shows. I wonder what their subscriber numbers are like and what their expectations are ahead of a WB service coming in.
I agree. Selling this as basically the place for to go for DC content and having a lot of it unavailable is kind of dumb. I know someone will come back with that it's being built around the new shows, but that's not a lot realistically. I get that there may be rights issues, but it seems like they jumped the gun on launching this when it really should have just been in the upcoming WB streaming service instead, which seems likely to happen anyways. That way it would feel like since it isn't exclusively DC that some stuff isn't there whereas now selling it without some titles is odd marketing to consumers who aren't in the know.
Old 03-28-19, 01:44 PM
  #368  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,223
Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by Mike86
I agree. Selling this as basically the place for to go for DC content and having a lot of it unavailable is kind of dumb. I know someone will come back with that it's being built around the new shows, but that's not a lot realistically. I get that there may be rights issues, but it seems like they jumped the gun on launching this when it really should have just been in the upcoming WB streaming service instead, which seems likely to happen anyways. That way it would feel like since it isn't exclusively DC that some stuff isn't there whereas now selling it without some titles is odd marketing to consumers who aren't in the know.
You've been kind of going back and forth on your comments on this. First you said it's too niche and then later I recall you expressed interest and said you might subscribe after one of the originals was announced. And now you're your saying it's dumb, too niche and was launched too soon. So I assume you're not interested again?

I'm confused, are you even interested in DC TV content or is it still too niche and too expensive for your taste? It's not expensive and this new promotional price isn't going to break the wallet if you like their stuff and want to see Titans, Doom Patrol and all the other ones coming this year.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, you do as you please. If it's not in your budget, then fine.
Old 03-28-19, 01:50 PM
  #369  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,281
Likes: 0
Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'd have thought streaming rights would be different from tv rights (since I don't think MoS or BvS are on any of the streaming services right now), but yeah I was probably mistaken. It just seems odd to me if you're trying to get, say, a friend to subscribe, and you have to tell them they have none of the recent theatrical movies, none of the recent cartoons (no JLAction, Super Hero Girls, TT Go), and none of the recent tv shows. I wonder what their subscriber numbers are like and what their expectations are ahead of a WB service coming in.
Originally Posted by Mike86
I agree. Selling this as basically the place for to go for DC content and having a lot of it unavailable is kind of dumb. I know someone will come back with that it's being built around the new shows, but that's not a lot realistically. I get that there may be rights issues, but it seems like they jumped the gun on launching this when it really should have just been in the upcoming WB streaming service instead, which seems likely to happen anyways. That way it would feel like since it isn't exclusively DC that some stuff isn't there whereas now selling it without some titles is odd marketing to consumers who aren't in the know.
I don't see it as jumping the gun. What makes people come to these "niche" services is original content. Are you really going to pay a monthly subscription just to watch BvS and old episodes of Arrow? That shit doesn't need to be on there now. They get you interested with the original content, then back fill with their catalog later. It's the reverse of how Netflix or Hulu operated, which isn't what this is trying to be.
Old 03-28-19, 01:59 PM
  #370  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,223
Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Yup, no one is going to subscribe to this to watch the Arrowverse reruns, Smallville and the old Batman show from the 1960s. If you follow or care about the Arrowverse, chances are you're watching it week to week on The CW. You have to build this kind of service on new original shows. Yeah there are only 3 original shows on the air right now, but shows take time, money and good actors to get it right. You can't half ass getting stuff launched just to have something there.

and this service is not even 1 year old yet.

For the record, Titans was very well received and currently Doom Patrol is getting a lot of buzz.
Old 03-28-19, 02:04 PM
  #371  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,782
Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by DJariya
You've been kind of going back and forth on your comments on this. First you said it's too niche and then later I recall you expressed interest and said you might subscribe after one of the originals was announced. And now you're your saying it's dumb, too niche and was launched too soon. So I assume you're not interested again?

I'm confused, are you even interested in DC TV content or is it still too niche and too expensive for your taste? It's not expensive and this new promotional price isn't going to break the wallet if you like their stuff and want to see Titans, Doom Patrol and all the other ones coming this year.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, you do as you please. If it's not in your budget, then fine.
I do think it's a niche service. That hasn't really changed, but it doesn't mean some content doesn't interest me. I said all along that it should have been part of a WB service, which as I mentioned sounds like it could end up happening. I may have mentioned price at one point and it is a bit expensive for what it is I think, but that isn't the main detractor for me not getting it (as I've mentioned it more is down to it not being available on the platform I want to use it for). I was just agreeing with the sentiment of fujishig about some of the missing content and gave reasons why I feel so. Like I said this is being sold as the DC Universe so a good chunk of that content missing, yeah it is sort of dumb. Not everything has to be a black and white answer. I have mixed feelings on it.
Old 03-28-19, 02:33 PM
  #372  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,782
Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by dex14
I don't see it as jumping the gun. What makes people come to these "niche" services is original content. Are you really going to pay a monthly subscription just to watch BvS and old episodes of Arrow? That shit doesn't need to be on there now. They get you interested with the original content, then back fill with their catalog later. It's the reverse of how Netflix or Hulu operated, which isn't what this is trying to be.
But if thereís not a lot of original content (Iím sorry but a few shows to date doesnít really cut it) to make up for the lack of a catalogue I would certainly say itís jumping the gun to launch this if you donít have the rights to a lot of your content. When something is as specific as this I would want it to have as much as what itís being sold as available. Thatís why to me a WB service with DC as a part of it makes a lot more sense. Just my opinion on it.
Old 03-28-19, 02:47 PM
  #373  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,281
Likes: 0
Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Why would they drop all their new shows at once? That makes no sense from a business standpoint for them.

DC Universe is the first-of-its kind digital subscription service that gives fans access to exclusive content and experiences not available anywhere else.

WATCH exclusive original series, epic animated movies and classic films and TV series. Be the first to stream the highly anticipated live-action Titans, watch the newest season of Young Justice: Outsiders, and relive the classics like Batman: The Animated Series in stunning HD. In 2019, look forward to our newest original series with Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Stargirl and Harley Quinn.
Nothing about that says it is the exclusive home to all DC content or trying to sell it as such, though I'm sure that is what they will be building up to eventually.
Old 03-28-19, 03:13 PM
  #374  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,782
Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Come on, the service is called DC Universe. To the average person how would that read based solely on the name? Also, I never said they should put all their original content out at once. My point was since there isnít a lot of original content available it would make sense to me that youíd want as much of a back catalog available as possible, and if that isnít the case it would have made more sense to include the DC content in a WB service.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-28-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 03:38 PM
  #375  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,281
Likes: 0
Received 4,680 Likes on 3,168 Posts
Re: DC Universe streaming service

Originally Posted by Mike86
Come on, the service is called DC Universe. To the average person how would that read based solely on the name? Also, I never said they should put all their original content out at once. My point was since there isnít a lot of original content available it would make sense to me that youíd want as much of a back catalog available as possible.
And as already said, people arenít signing up for this for back catalogue. What back catalogue are you so desperately missing out on?


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.