Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio
Old 01-01-24, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBang
What's New each month on Peacock:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/new-on-peacock

Leaving Peacock this month:
https://www.peacocktv.com/collections/leaving-peacock

These lists are updated on the 1st of each month.
Print Wikipost

Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

https://deadline.com/2019/01/nbcuniv...ns-1202534914/

The ad-supported streaming service will be available at no cost to NBCUniversal’s pay-TV subscribers in the U.S. and major international markets. Comcast Cable and Sky will provide the service to their 52 million subscribers. An ad-free version will also be available for a fee. Viewers without pay TV service can buy a subscription to the service.

NBCU will continue to license content to other studios and platforms, while retaining rights to certain titles for its new service.

Yup, yet another streaming service. I wonder how this is going to work with Hulu. It would seem redundant having this and Hulu.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-14-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Peacock -- NBC Universal streaming service

Sounds like their version of Fox Now / FX+. Surprised they don't have one already.
Old 01-14-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2019/01/nbcu-ch...ck-1202535064/

NBC is looking to acquire The Office for it’s streaming service away from Netflix.
Old 01-14-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

This is becoming beyond ridiculous.
Old 01-16-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Streaming services only work if they offer original content. I see nothing in the article about that...seems like they just want to stream TV old shows and movies.

Might be bad news for Hulu - which currently carries a ton of NBC shows.

Comcast is my cable company, so I guess this is nothing I have to worry about (although I'm sure they'll use this as an excuse to boost pricing - not that they don't do that EVERY January).
Old 01-16-19, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Non-player in our house. We get NBC programming OTA, I have a multituner card in my media center computer with Plex, so that's our DVR, and frankly not that interested in old reruns. Too much new stuff coming out on a constant basis, there aren't enough hours in the day to watch what we want to...
Old 01-16-19, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not going to lie, if this has the other Peter Engel shows( California Dreams, City Guys, Hang Time) then I would seriously consider subscribing every now and then just to watch them.
Old 01-16-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I don't think I watch anything on NBC anymore to begin with besides sports. Timeless was the last show I watched on it.
Old 01-16-19, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I'm not going to lie, if this has the other Peter Engel shows( California Dreams, City Guys, Hang Time) then I would seriously consider subscribing every now and then just to watch them.
I've always wondered why none of these shows are streaming. Add USA High to the list too.
Old 01-16-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

At this rate.... we are all going to be back on cable by 2020.
Old 01-19-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

This is why it's been best for me to just pay by title, rather than subscribe to one or more 'unlimited' services. As network TV (over the air) is unwatchable by my standards, I'd gladly pay for a few current shows if they cost a bit less- what they sell for now is about the same as a disc set which I'd rather have (even if they end up not being released.)
Old 06-25-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2019/06/the-off...ix-1202637956/

will become exclusive streaming home of The Office starting in January 2021.
Old 06-25-19, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I wonder how big of a thing this will actually turn out to be. Will this cause a few Netflix subscribers to bail? Will this help increase the subscriptions to this service?
Old 06-26-19, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
I wonder how big of a thing this will actually turn out to be. Will this cause a few Netflix subscribers to bail? Will this help increase the subscriptions to this service?
The Office is something of a comfort food"ie people kinda just watch in the background when they do other stuff". Will people go out of their way to buy a streaming service for it?

Depends

People go out of their way to get burritos at taco shops or pizza

But other comfort food like Chocolate Chip Cookies, Maccaroni and Cheese,Chicken Soup,Chilli Mac not so much
Old 06-26-19, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 425 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://deadline.com/2019/06/the-off...ix-1202637956/

will become exclusive streaming home of The Office starting in January 2021.
This is why I bought the whole series on VUDU when it was $30. Plus I still have physical copies of all the seasons.
Old 06-26-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

NBC Universal paid $500M to get back the streaming rights for The Office.

kind of weird since they own and produced the show, but I don’t claim to understand the accounting of streaming.
Old 06-26-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

The Office is huge with teenagers. Instead of watching movies in class during parties or free periods, they watch the Office.
Old 06-27-19, 12:21 AM

Never got the appeal of that show- I'm stuck in an office for 8 hours a day, when I go home I don't want to go back into one. Same with Scrubs, I try to stay out of hospitals as much as possible.

But if you love any show, buy it on disc if it's available. Then you can watch it any time.
Old 07-25-19, 10:20 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

NBCUniversal is planning to launch its upcoming streaming service in April, with The Office as one of its tentpole programs, CEO Steve Burke said Thursday. He said the service would initially mostly live off licensed content and only some original programming, making it "very different" from Netflix.

He made the comment on a call with Wall Street analysts after cable giant Comcast, which is led by chairman and CEO Brian Roberts, reported higher second-quarter earnings for entertainment unit NBCU and European pay TV giant Sky, which the company acquired late last year.

Burke said his team was “hard at work” on the advertising-based streaming service, targeting the launch for April. He said more than 500 people are working on it now, using Sky's Now TV streaming platform. He said the company had a “very innovative way of coming into the market” and “very attractive financial aspects.”

Comcast recently said that NBC cult favorite The Office will leave Netflix when its current deal with the streamer expires at the end of 2020 to exclusively stream on the forthcoming NBCU direct-to-consumer platform. NBCU's streaming platform will retain exclusive domestic streaming rights to The Office for five years, paying $100 million per year to stream the series after outbidding Netflix. Asked about the deal, Burke said Thursday that according to Nielsen, the series is the No. 1 show on Netflix, accounting for 5 percent of its overall "volume." With the show having aired on NBC and therefore being part of its DNA, he said, "we see The Office as one of the tentpole programs on our platform."

Asked about the role of original programming on the NBCU streaming service and how similar it will be to Netflix, Burke said: "Our service is very different from Netflix." He added: "The vast majority of our volume I expect to be acquired. We are spending some money on originals. … We have a number of originals that are actually tied to libraries that we currently own. But I would expect the vast majority of the consumption in the beginning would be acquired [shows].”

He also hinted that the streaming service would have some "innovative" elements, but declined to provide further details, citing competitive reasons.

NBCUniversal on Thursday recorded adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), the profitability metric the company uses, of $2.32 billion, up 8.1 percent. The entertainment arm posted higher EBITDA across all its units, including the film division, which posted lower box-office figures for the period. Quarterly revenue declined 0.8 percent to $8.2 billion.

"NBCUniversal successfully completed another record upfront, highlighted by overall volume up 10 percent to nearly $7 billion and a double-digit price increase at NBC Prime," the company highlighted. "Once again we led the market on both volume and price," Roberts said.

At Sky, adjusted EBITDA rose 13.4 percent. Total customer relationships increased 4.4 percent to 24 million, including net additions of 304,000 in the latest quarter, a 197,000 improvement from the second quarter of 2018. Management said subscriber growth mostly came from streaming costumers and was driven by the appeal of Game of Thrones and Chernobyl.

Comcast's cable systems recorded a video subscriber loss of 224,000, but their broadband subscriber base increased by 209,000.

"I am very pleased with our terrific second quarter results and the continued, successful execution of our strategy," Roberts said. "Each of our businesses demonstrated healthy growth in adjusted EBITDA, contributing to a double-digit increase in adjusted earnings per share. Our company’s consistent, profitable growth is fueled by our leading scale in direct customer relationships and premier content. We now have nearly 55 million high-value direct customer relationships, including the 456,000 net additions in the second quarter, and a vast library of intellectual property and new productions that are extremely popular across generations and geographies. Our teams throughout the company continue to collaborate to make themselves and each other even stronger, and I’m excited about our growth opportunities ahead."

On Thursday's earnings conference call, Roberts said the company has made "great progress" towards the launch of the upcoming advertising-based NBCUniversal streaming service. “The strength of our assets and leadership across our businesses, combined with access to tens of millions of customers will lower both our cost of entry and execution risk as we deliver a truly special offering," he said.

While there is "significant competition and change" in the pay TV eco-system right now, “for years, we have felt that video over the internet is more friend than foe” and "plays to our strength," Roberts said, adding that the company has a "vast library of [intellectual property] and new productions that are extremely popular” across geographies and generations.

NBCUniversal on Thursday said that its film unit revenue fell nearly 15 percent to $1.5 billion in the second quarter, primarily due to a 53 percent drop in theatrical revenue, "reflecting the strength of releases in last year's second quarter, including Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, partially offset by the performance of The Secret Life of Pets 2 in this year's second quarter." Adjusted EBITDA in the film unit still jumped 33 percent to $183 million, driven by "lower programming and production costs."

Broadcast TV unit revenue edged up 0.5 percent to $2.4 billion in the second quarter thanks to higher distribution and other revenue, partially offset by lower advertising and content licensing revenue. Distribution and other revenue increased nearly 15 percent, primarily due to higher retransmission consent fees. Ad revenue fell 4.2 percent, though, "primarily due to the absence of revenue generated by Telemundo's broadcast of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia." Excluding the World Cup, ad revenue increased in the mid-single-digits range, "reflecting higher pricing, partially offset by audience ratings declines." Adjusted EBITDA in the broadcast unit rose 28 percent to $534 million, driven by lower programming and production costs.

The cable networks unit revenue increased 2.5 percent to $2.9 billion in the second quarter thanks to higher distribution and content licensing fees and other revenue. Distribution revenue rose more than 3 percent due to contractual rate increases and the timing of contract renewals, partially offset by a decline in pay TV subscribers of around 1.5 percent-2.0 percent. Advertising revenue was unchanged from the prior-year period, "reflecting higher rates, offset by audience ratings declines." Adjusted EBITDA in the cable networks unit increased slightly more than 2 percent to $1.2 billion as the higher revenue was partially offset by higher programming and production costs.

Roberts on Thursday's call was also asked about Comcast's appetite for acquisitions. "We’re pretty focused on what we have in front of us," he said, emphasizing that debt reduction is the priority. In that context, management also said it was looking for ways to monetize the floor price set in its deal to sell its stake in Hulu to Walt Disney over time, which would allow it to pay down debt further.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...TISfIZ-nf4psCI
Old 07-25-19, 10:47 AM

Ad based
No thanks!
Old 08-01-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Ad based
No thanks!
Depends on how intrusive it is...I find the ads on both Hulu and CBS Access to be fine, as they're relatively short and come at natural breaks in the programming.
Old 08-01-19, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Depends on how intrusive it is...I find the ads on both Hulu and CBS Access to be fine, as they're relatively short and come at natural breaks in the programming.
Both of those offer ad-free tiers (subject to select shows that have them). Doesn't sound like NBC is planning to offer that or at least they didn't included that tier in the announcement.

I guess I've gotten used to as few ads as possible between Netflix, Prime Video and streaming digital copies/purchases.
Old 08-01-19, 05:49 PM

The worst is seeing the SAME ads repeated during EVERY ad break.
Old 08-03-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

I would never subscribe to any service that doesn't have an ad free tier in this age.
Old 08-03-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

I own all of Parks and Rec, Seinfeld, NewsRadio, most of the Office, and 7-8 Saturday Night Live best of discs. I finish off the Office and maybe pickup Cheers and really NBC can pound sand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.