YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

Old 03-26-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: YouTube TV -- Live TV streaming service

Originally Posted by Deftones
Just got an email and they are giving everyone a free month if Epix. Says it will automatically fall off so no need to cancel.
You should try to binge Pennyworth and War of the Worlds then. Pennyworth is pretty awesome.
Old 03-26-20, 08:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Thanks for the news, I never check that email. Maybe I’ll give Pennywise a try before the Action Challenge ends.
Old 05-07-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Sweet, Viacom channels coming! Hopefully the price hike is minimal.

https://9to5google.com/2020/05/07/yo...l-viacom-deal/

Now give us DD 5.1!
The following users liked this post:
John Richmond (05-07-20)
Old 06-30-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Yikes:

Seems like they added Viacom channels to the base package and used that to excuse raising the price. Sounds like cable.

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2020/...tv-update.html

Earlier this year, we let you know that we’d soon be adding more of ViacomCBS’s family of brands to YouTube TV, which includes 8 of your favorite channels launching today: BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land and VH1.

That means you can follow the biggest stories in news, politics and pop culture with “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah;” catch up with Catelynn, Cheyenne, Maci, Mackenzie and Amber on “Teen Mom OG;” join the search for America’s next drag superstar with “RuPaul’s Drag Race;” go on an adventure with “SpongeBob SquarePants;” and follow the fictional lives of the Dutton family on the new season of “Yellowstone,” airing now.

BET Her, MTV2, MTV Classic, Nick Jr., NickToons, and TeenNick are also set to come to YouTube TV at a later date.
As we continue to evaluate how to provide the best possible service and content for you, our membership price will be $64.99. This new price takes effect today, June 30, for new members. Existing subscribers will see these changes reflected in their subsequent billing cycle on or after July 30.

We don’t take these decisions lightly, and realize how hard this is for our members. That said, this new price reflects the rising cost of content and we also believe it reflects the complete value of YouTube TV, from our breadth of content to the features that are changing how we watch live TV. YouTube TV is the only streaming service that includes a DVR with unlimited storage space, plus 6 accounts per household each with its own unique recommendations, and 3 concurrent streams. It's all included in the base cost of YouTube TV, with no contract and no hidden fees.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-30-20 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-30-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Yeah that's a big price hike. Not surprising though. Channels and content just keep getting more expensive.

Old 06-30-20, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I think this new hike might be the one that gets me to bail. I like YouTube TV a lot, but don't use it enough to justify the cost anymore. Especially with no sports going on. Does anyone know if when you quit the service and then resume it at a later date you'll have access to all of the content previously on the virtual DVR? Or is it wiped clean?

Guess I'd better plow through all of my banked episodes of Better Call Saul, What We Do in the Shadows, and the Walking Dead over the next month.
Old 06-30-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I think this new hike might be the one that gets me to bail. I like YouTube TV a lot, but don't use it enough to justify the cost anymore. Especially with no sports going on. Does anyone know if when you quit the service and then resume it at a later date you'll have access to all of the content previously on the virtual DVR? Or is it wiped clean?

Guess I'd better plow through all of my banked episodes of Better Call Saul, What We Do in the Shadows, and the Walking Dead over the next month.
iirc once your service ends, the dvr and access is wiped
Old 06-30-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

channels are live. You just have to go on browser and manually add them
Old 06-30-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
iirc once your service ends, the dvr and access is wiped
Thanks. I kinda figured that would be the case since that would just be taking up server space or whatever for a customer that probably won't be returning. I have a ton of movies recorded off of TCM. I'll have to start chipping away at them before I cancel. I'm really going to miss all the classic horror flicks that air in October.

Anyone have Philo? Once the Walking Dead resumes I may try it out. Or maybe even pay a bit more for Sling if there are sports I'm interested around then.

They do say this in the blog post announcing the changes:

As the streaming industry continues to evolve, we are working to build new flexible models for YouTube TV users, so we can continue to provide a robust and innovative experience for everyone in your household without the commitments of traditional TV.
That gives me a sliver of hope that one day they'll at least offer a cheap base plan and some upgrade tiers at some point. But a la carte per channel (from any provider) is just an unachievable utopia, huh?
Old 06-30-20, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I bailed after last years NBA Finals and came back in October and my previously recorded stuff (within 6 months) was still there.

Going to bail again, this is bullshit, especially for channels I won't even watch.
Old 06-30-20, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The email I got said you could "pause" service and the DVR stuff would still be there...until it was scheduled to be deleted.
Old 06-30-20, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

on the price hike, but it'll still have to do.
Deftones (07-01-20)
Old 07-01-20, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Anyone have Philo? Once the Walking Dead resumes I may try it out.
There's Philo thread but wasn't very active, so I'm guessing not many here have it.

As for this price hike, I have until Aug 5 to decide if it's worth it. Out of the new channels, I'd probably watch Comedy Central.

Last edited by TomOpus; 07-01-20 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by John Richmond
The email I got said you could "pause" service and the DVR stuff would still be there...until it was scheduled to be deleted.
Yeah, you can pause the service, but maintain your account. I did that for a couple of months since there's no sports going on.
Old 09-01-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like a sports tier is coming. Like maybe today or tomorrow. Theories are NFL Network is free, but you can get RedZone on the sports tier. Helllllll yes!

https://awfulannouncing.com/youtube/...plus-tier.html
Old 09-01-20, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want an "All of that shit you added last month for $15" tier that I can deselect.
DJLinus (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 07:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This still going on? It was funny that once Cobra Kai went to Netflix it went to #1. Now people can watch it.
Old 09-02-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
This still going on? It was funny that once Cobra Kai went to Netflix it went to #1. Now people can watch it.
That was YouTube Red.

YouTube TV is still going strong but its just IPTV/Cable over internet, there's no YouTube specific material on it. Imo, best one out there but it just price jumped by $15.
Old 09-02-20, 07:02 PM
Banned by request

Same different I guess. I did a trial of their Live TV service. Didn’t come anywhere as good as Hulu Live, so I’m still with that.
Old 09-02-20, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by E Unit
Same different I guess. I did a trial of their Live TV service. Didn’t come anywhere as good as Hulu Live, so I’m still with that.
Not even remotely close to the same service.
Old 09-03-20, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Haha yeah, one was for Original YouTube content, the other is for Comedy Central and Football. I bailed on Hulu Live for it.
Deftones (09-03-20)
Old 09-03-20, 08:57 AM
Banned by request

Maybe that's it. Original YouTube content is a non-existent thing for me, I haven't been into Comedy Central in years, and I get all the football I want already. So if that's it, then that's why.
Old 09-03-20, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep. I mean it's a full cable replacement with 85+ channels, you normally only pick one and stick with it, whether it be Hulu Live, Spectrum, Xfinity, AT&T, Sling, YouTube TV, etc;
E Unit (09-03-20)
Old 09-03-20, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Official now.

@RapSheet: This is good news: NFL Network and YouTube TV have reached a new carriage agreement. https://t.co/2KS6qJjxSx
Old 09-29-20, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like we are losing the sinclair channels again.

Bye bye regional sports nets. So annoying. At least it is happening when the MLB and NBA seasons are over. Hopefully this gets resolved before the seasons pick back up. Would be nice to discount in the bill now since we are receiving less but that will never happen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.