DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 02-28-17, 04:15 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

YouTube to launch Live TV streaming service (YouTube TV)

http://deadline.com/2017/02/youtube-...ks-1202028418/

Quote:
YouTube’s much-rumored live TV bundle will launch “in the next few months” with more than 40 channels at $35 a month, the Google-owned video portal said today in unveiling the service dubbed YouTube TV. The Internet-based “skinny bundle” will compete with the likes of AT&T’s DirecTV Now, Sling TV and Sony’s PlayStation Vue.

Hulu is prepping a similar service and Apple TV wants to. YouTube’s version was tipped to launch sometime this spring at around a $40 price point.

The Big Four broadcast networks — ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox — will be available at launch, along with their associated cable channels such as ESPN, USA Network and FX. Showtime will be available for an additional fee. The package includes 10 sports networks, MSNBC, CBS News, Fox News, Disney Channel, Bravo and E! as well as local channel offerings and YouTube Red original TV and film content.

Users can add up to six accounts per subscription, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said today in unveiling the first concrete details of the service. Users will be able to record unlimited shows at once with its cloud-based DVR, with no storage limits. Each account will have its own tailored recommendations and its own personal DVR. A voice command function also is in the works.

Currently, said YouTube’s Chief Product Officer Neal Mohan, there are “no plans to roll-out [YouTube TV] internationally” as the “focus is to have a successful launch” in the U.S.

The major networks air television’s most popular programming, so they are considered must-haves for services that hope to compete with cable and satellite — as well as one another. The challenge is to assemble enough popular programming without running up the cost.
Old 02-28-17, 05:36 PM   #2

Re: YouTube to launch Live TV streaming service (YouTube TV)

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/28/...ve-tv-service/

...always a catch with this stuff, isn't there? From the linked article:

Quote:
Still, there are a lot of major networks missing. Most notable are channels from Viacom, Discovery, A&E, AMC and Turner (including TBS and TNT). CNN is also notably absent from the news networks available. This is a place where PlayStation Vue has an advantage -- the $35 plan from Sony includes CNN, TBS, TNT, AMC and a number of other channels that YouTube TV doesn't offer.
Not a deal breaker for everyone, but without AMC, that's going to put quite a few folks off I would imagine. No option for HBO either that I can see, but then again I suppose a cord-cutter could always subscribe to HBO NOW in addition to this.
Old 02-28-17, 08:20 PM   #3
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been really looking into switching to a skinny bundle, but only Directv Now and Sling TV have Viacom channels and I watch a lot of shows on CMT and MTV. As of right now, Sling TV and Directv Now don't have cloud dvrs. I'm interested to see what channels the Hulu skinny bundle will have.
Old 04-05-17, 09:53 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/05...vice-launches/

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

$35

1 month free trial. Limited promo of free chrome cast device. Unlimited DVR, 6 accounts, 3 streams at the same time, etc.

For me, channel list is barely OK, compared to DirecTV Now (what I have right now), but they are missing some that are important to me, AMC (TWD!), Nick (SpongeBob!), and some spanish channels. Pros: unlimited DVR, infrastructure should be better, so no issues with streaming, I hope, like with the competition. Also, CBS channels is a plus, because DirecTV Now is missing those.

Oh, one big issue, for me right now, no AppleTV app. You have to stream to your TV using another device. I guess this one is more for millennials.

Channel list:
Spoiler:

Find out what each network has to offer.

BROADCAST
ABC
CBS
The CW (live or on demand depending on region)
FOX
NBC

SPORTS
Big Ten Network
CBS Sports Network
Comcast RSN
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPN3
ESPNews
ESPNU
Fox RSN
FS1
FS2
Golf Channel
NBCSN
NECN
SEC Network

ENTERTAINMENT & LIFESTYLE
Bravo
Chiller
E!
Esquire
Freeform
FX
FXM
FXX
Nat Geo
Nat Geo Wild
Oxygen
SyFy
Universal HD
USA
YouTube Red Originals

NEWS
CNBC
Fox Business
Fox News
MSNBC

KIDS
Disney Channel
Disney Jr
Disney XD
Sprout

Sports and premium networks like SHOWTIME and Fox Soccer Plus are also available for an additional monthly charge.
*NFL live streams can be viewed on your computer and TV using YouTube TV, but aren’t available on mobile.
Old 04-05-17, 10:01 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Very barebones. Probably more as you said more for Millennials who watch TV on their devices and laptops. I could see College kids using this service since cable is way too expensive for students.

Next up, Hulu Live. Curious to see how they are set up, the channel selection and infrastructure. Last I read was that Hulu Live didn't have the live rights to NBC yet.
Old 04-06-17, 08:29 AM   #6
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

So I guess it ends up being $35 for two months and a Chromecast. I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-06-17, 08:38 AM   #7
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Well crap, only available in 5 cities so far.
Old 04-07-17, 12:54 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This just became available in the San Francisco Bay Area yesterday and I signed up for the free trial. Quality's great so far and navigation is pretty easy. Too bad about no AppleTV app though. Had to stream from my phone.