Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Spectrum launches standalone live TV streaming service

https://www.spectrum.com/choice.html

NOW YOU'RE IN
CONTROL
With Spectrum TV™ Choice YOU pick the channels you want without a cable box! Stream LIVE TV plus enjoy thousands of On Demand titles.
Choose 10 live TV channels from 65 networks
Your local broadcast channels at no additional cost
NO contracts and NO equipment fees

Pick your channels – choose 10 channels to create your custom channel lineup

Includes your local broadcast channels

Stream TV live or On Demand from the Spectrum TV App, online or on-the-go

Add HBO®, SHOWTIME®, STARZ® and more at our lowest price ever

Plus, NO contracts or installation fees and NO cable box required

Get the Lowest Price Ever on the Best Premium Networks
Add the Spectrum Premium Pack for only $15 more per month for 2 years* – that's only $3 per network!
No other provider offers 5 premium networks for this great price.

It's a skinny bundle live TV streaming service.

$21.99/month

More details are on the website. It's subject to being available in your area. As with other services, premium channels cost extra.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-28-18 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-28-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Sprectrum launches standalone live TV streaming service

$22 for 10 channels. Time Warner....Errr Spectrum can kiss my ass.
Old 03-01-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Spectrum launches standalone live TV streaming service

I dunno, I don't think it's that bad. The only issue would be ESPN w/ their need to have 50 sub channels (ESPN 2, ESPN U, SEC Channel, etc; ).

Otherwise, you get your local channels (presumable ABC, NBC, CW, Fox, and CBS) plus the handful of cable channels you probably actually watch for $22. I mean, I basically only watch FX, FXX, Cartoon Network/AS, AMC, TBS and Comedy Central. So I'd still have to put up with 4 additional channels.
Old 03-01-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd be more interested at $11.99/mo.
Old 04-18-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Who ever has cable with Spectrum should already know that they were going to a digital-only signal.
Once complete, the entire channel lineup will be digital and encrypted. Well for our household came yesterday. Yes we knew it was coming & had them ship us the one digital receiver box we get free for a year. There are 2 other cable boxes in our house. As of yesterday morning we now have 5 Tv's that have no signal. There were hooked up from coaxial/wall direct to coaxial on Tv. Most are older non smart Tv's. I'm going to pick up any more digital receiver boxes which is $6.99 each month. The hell with you Spectrum. We might switch over to Hawaiian Tel. Been with Time Warner/Oceanic/Spectrum for over 40-years. I installed Spectrum TV app on my brothers X-box one & on my nieces smart Tv that has a Roku interface.
Old 04-18-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it come in negative with wavy lines after midnight?

That's the only Spectrum I ever watched.
Old 04-18-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Does it come in negative with wavy lines after midnight?

That's the only Spectrum I ever watched.
Spectrum used to be Time Warner Cable.
Old 04-18-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is MTV a channel option? I didn't see it on the site. The only channel I am interested in.
Old 04-18-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Is MTV a channel option? I didn't see it on the site. The only channel I am interested in.
Here in HI on Spectrum it's on:

Ch. 589 - MTVCL
Ch. 593 - MTV
Ch. 595 - MTV2

We never got MTV in HD but as of yesterday we do.

Ch. 1592 - MTVHD
Ch. 1593 - MTVLIVE
Ch. 1595 - MTV2HD
Old 04-18-18, 08:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i used to work for Time Warner Cable. such a horrible company and cable system. changing it's name won't change it's horrible services...
Old 04-19-18, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Until they properly support the AppleTV and FireTV... they really need to stop their sales and support personnel from claiming you don't need a cable box (on the TVs that lost signal due to the all digital switch). What... I'm supposed to stream from my phone to the tv?

Time Warner was sleazy... Spectrum is sleazier!
Old 04-20-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Who ever has cable with Spectrum should already know that they were going to a digital-only signal.
Once complete, the entire channel lineup will be digital and encrypted. Well for our household came yesterday. Yes we knew it was coming & had them ship us the one digital receiver box we get free for a year. There are 2 other cable boxes in our house. As of yesterday morning we now have 5 Tv's that have no signal. There were hooked up from coaxial/wall direct to coaxial on Tv. Most are older non smart Tv's. I'm going to pick up any more digital receiver boxes which is $6.99 each month. The hell with you Spectrum. We might switch over to Hawaiian Tel. Been with Time Warner/Oceanic/Spectrum for over 40-years. I installed Spectrum TV app on my brothers X-box one & on my nieces smart Tv that has a Roku interface.
Wow, so does that mean you have 8 TV's total?

Just so you know, Hawaiian Telcom TV is 100% digital IPTV. That means each TV set needs a Set Top Box. Their charge is $4.95/month per box. Also, their service only supports up to 4 different live streams simultaneously. And only 2 of those can be HD. So, that means that if your house wanted to be watching multiple different channels live simultaneously, only 2 of them would be in HD, 2 would be in SD, and you wouldn't be able to do any more than that.

One possible solution is to get a whole home solution like TiVo with Spectrum (Tivo doesn't work with HawTel). If you buy a 6-tuner Roamio or Bolt, and then 7 TiVo Minis (assuming your TV count is 8), that setup would service every TV in the house, supporting actually watching up to 6 different TV's simultaneously. That is, the TV the TiVo is connected to, and up to 5 of the other 7 TiVo Mini's simultaneously, watching any mixture of live TV or prerecorded shows stored on the TiVo.

It'll be a bit of a cash outlay in the beginning. TiVo Mini's are about $180 each (second-hand might be cheaper), no additional service fees. A TiVo Roamio Plus is a little over $100 on eBay. Then you have to add TiVo service either monthly or one-time lifetime fee. Once you get all the TiVo equipment installed, you only need to get one cable card for $2/month for the TiVo from Spectrum. You don't need to pay for any cable boxes (and you'll get a discount on your Spectrum bundle if a cable box is included in the bundle) or digital receivers. If you add up all the numbers, I imagine you might break even in about 3 years or so.
Old 04-20-18, 07:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
can't do satellite?