Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Mubi - Daily curated film library, $6 a month, anyone here use it?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 11-05-16, 12:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

https://mubi.com/about

I have a friend that loves it, but was hoping for more input.
Old 12-19-16, 06:47 PM

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts
Re: Mubi - Daily curated film library, $6 a month, anyone here use it?

I notice they just added a Roku channel.

It says there's a New User 30-Day Free Trial (No Credit Card Required).
Old 01-11-21, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Mubi currently has a special, through Friday, 3 months for $1.00.
They have had this deal before.
I'm still trying to understand their business model. Apparently they have movies - maybe as few as 30 - one new-to-them movie a day that stays on the service for 30 days? Maybe they keep their 'themed collections' and their own content up a little longer or indefinitely?
Looks like the movies - sorry, cinema - they offer range from actual classics to arthouse to independent and global.
Regular price is now 10.99/month, unless you sub for a year, which is ~83/yr (~6.99.month).
Seeing as how this thread hasn't had a response in four years, and the only other reference to Mubi that I can find is when VRV dropped them, I'm guessing not many members here are members there
I'll probably try it for a buck. My wife likes random movies and now that she's using the Roku it'll be easier for her to access it.

Anyone else have any feedback or usage with Mubi since 2016?
(Side note - though they've gone up, it's nice to see a 'niche' service lasting that long!)

Old 01-11-21, 03:51 PM

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

It was nice when they were included with VRV, because VRV didn't remove the movies after 30 days. So there were a few hundred movies available.

I'm sure this appeals to some people, but for me. It's too arthouse. With the tiny catalog, limited time availability, and crazy high price, it's just not worth it. For what's being offered, I might be interested around $3-$4/mo.

If you're into arthouse/indie/foreign stuff, check out Fandor. It's $6/mo ($50/yr). They offer 50% off for students/teachers. And if you look around, there's usually a promo coupon.

https://www.fandor.com/

UPDATE - Looks like you get an annual membership for $25 with this link:

https://www.fandor.com/users/new?cou...gn=filmstruck0

Last edited by TheBigDave; 01-11-21 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

That's kinda what I'm thinking. There's quirky and independent (of course, they say "We even have mainstream critical hits from Annie Hall to Royal Tenenbaums!" My wife hates Woody Allen, and I hated Royal Tenenbaums), there's arthouse, then there's pretentious.
I saw at one time it was included in VRV. VRV looked like it was a great deal a couple years ago
I did notice that it's available as an Amazon channel for 5.99/month which is even cheaper than the year discount. Not sure if it has the same library, but from reviews it looks like streaming quality is better on Amazon. (There are also approximately seven gajillion other Amazon channels, each around 6 bucks a month. I can see the lingering appeal to the classic cable/satellite offerings.
Fandor's worth a look.

Actually, the way I'm really leaning, is cancel everything but Hulu and the stuff I get for free or prepaid just so I can catch up on a few things and not be so overwhelmed.