Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 11-02-16, 02:36 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Hulu Live TV streaming service to launch in 2017

https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/01/hu...abc-espn-more/

Quote:
Hulu said today it has partnered with Disney and 21st Century Fox for its upcoming live TV streaming service, launching next year. The deals involve Fox’s news, entertainment, sports, and other properties, along with Disney’s portfolio of networks from is ABC Television Group and ESPN, among other things. In total, the two agreements will bring more than 35 TV networks to Hulu’s live TV service.

What this means for consumers who are considering cutting the cord with pay TV is that they’ll gain access to two of the top broadcast networks, Fox and ABC, on Hulu’s new streaming platform.

In terms of sports, the two deals will include Fox Sports networks (Fox Sports 1 and 2), BTN, ESPN networks, including ESPN1, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPN-SEC, and Fox’s regional sports networks in dozens of markets. Meanwhile, other popular cable TV channels will also be included, like Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, Fox News, Fox Business, Freeform, FX, FXX, FXM, National Geographic and Nat Geo Wild.

The addition of ESPN is especially notable, in light of the competitive landscape, which today includes Sling TV, PlayStation Vue, and AT&T’s forthcoming DirecTV Now service, for example. In fact, Sling TV made headway with a number of cord cutters when it first debuted as being the only way to access ESPN’s content without a subscription to a cable or satellite TV service. That has changed over time, however, as PlayStation Vue added the network back in March of this year. And DirecTV Now has also confirmed that Disney channels, ESPN and ABC will be a part of its lineup when it launches.

The announcement comes on top of earlier news from Hulu that it had also signed agreements with Time Warner for live and on-demand streaming of its networks, including TNT, TBS, CNN, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, truTV, Boomerang, and Turner Classic Movies.

The bigger picture here is that it doesn’t appear that these live TV streaming rivals will end up competing in terms of content and channel lineups – they’ll be trying to woo consumers based on other factors, like pricing, number of concurrent streams, multi-platform support and overall user experience. While AT&T’s DirecTV Now may have the edge in terms of tying its service to AT&T’s cellular network, offering things like streams that don’t count towards data usage, for example, where Hulu may have an edge is the user interface.

Though not as well-designed as Netflix, nor anywhere near as good at recommendations, Hulu’s interface is at least easy to navigate and use. The same cannot be said for Sling TV, however, despite upgrades. And it’s unclear how DirecTV’s service will stand up, in comparison.

Hulu also has invested in some exclusive content, like The Mindy Project, The Path, 11.22.63, Difficult People, and its Golden Globe-nominated series, Casual, which could give it the edge, as well.

No specifics on pricing yet, but it's supposedly going to be priced at around $40/month for the basic service.

However, there is no deals yet for CBS and NBC programming. This service needs NBC programming because it also covers SyFy, USA, Bravo in addition to the OTA network. And I'm guessing CBS may not be willing to make a deal because of their streaming service. But, we'll see.

So now we have Playstation Vue, Sling TV, Google Unplugged, Directv Now and then this competing for Live TV streaming services.

The options are just insane. And like Sling TV, I'm sure Hulu will have a vast assortment of premium channel add-ons, which will add more to your monthly cost. I'm curious if the market can support all these services.

I don't think those cord cutters will ever get true a la carte TV. Everything here is bundled together and this is pretty damn close to a cable subscription, especially if you choose to add more content.

And I'm curious if this service from Hulu will have a DVR/Time shifting option as well. It's going to be hard to sell this and essentially force people to watch only live TV with commercials.

I think Directv Now has an early advantage with technology and probably being able to acquire content.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-02-16 at 02:45 AM.
Old 11-02-16, 02:44 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Hulu Live TV streaming service to launch in 2017

Here's another excerpt from a different story:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/1/13...net-tv-service

Quote:
That still leaves out some big names, including CBS and NBC. But Comcast — the owner of NBC — is a major investor in Hulu, which makes a deal there seem likely. You can look at the lineup of services like PlayStation Vue and Sling to see what other channels are willing to make the jump to online distribution. If they’re on those lists, chances are it’s only a matter of time before Hulu gets a deal, too.

Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins is already promising “additional partners to come.” There’s still no specific timing on when Hulu hopes to launch the service, beyond at some point next year.
Old 11-02-16, 06:07 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

With so much competition, it will be harder to decide for the average consumer and just cut the cord and not sign up with any of the services.
Old 11-05-16, 09:58 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Hulu sent me an e-mail to participate in a survey about their new live TV streaming service. Here are some of the features and pricing they are proposing.

This is combining current Hulu plus the new service. I believe there is also an option for just the live TV service alone. They are also planning to have the usual add-ons like HBO, Cinemax, Epix, Starz etc.

Hulu
upload image online

Last edited by DJariya; 11-05-16 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-05-16, 10:13 AM   #5

That's not too bad considering that Hulu's commercial free service is $12. So it's just another $32/$52.
Old 01-04-17, 11:04 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Hulu's new live TV service will be priced under $40: http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...bs-1201952360/

I'm guessing that will be the starter plan and more options will be available for those who want more content.

Hulu also acquired the rights to live CBS streaming content: http://www.wsj.com/articles/cbs-near...ice-1483549218

CBS is currently not available on Sling or Directv Now.
Old 01-05-17, 12:53 PM   #7
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd have to see the full line up of channels before I make any sort of decision. We do Hulu w/commercials right now and they seem to be losing content left and right. First we lost all of the CW stuff (which now goes thru the CW app), and now it seems like some of the MTV and Spike stuff are going by the waste side too. Hopefully it will have the Food Network stuff as I'm always finding myself watching that channel when I'm over at other people's houses who actually have cable. (I do all the cooking for my wife and child)
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 01-05-17, 07:27 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

If they can deliver in the infrastructure side it would be great.

Right now Hulu always works fine, same as Netflix. And you always read online about issues with Sling, DirecTV Now, etc. Playstation Vue works better I think.

So, if they could have something like $35 for Hulu+Live TV that would be a decent deal. I mean, for the basic package. Under $30 would be an awesome deal, but I don't think they would go under $30, even for the basic plan.
Old 01-06-17, 01:55 PM   #9

We're approaching Satellite/Cable prices with these packages. With premium channels, I'm paying ~$100/mo with Dish. With Hulu, the SHO add-on, along w/other premium channels a-la carte, wouldn't be that much cheaper to cut the cord.
Old 03-22-17, 12:46 AM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.fiercecable.com/broadcast...ive-tv-service

Hulu Live has added NBC cable networks. That includes SyFy, USA, Bravo etc.

But, they currently don't have the rights to live NBC.

Service will also include a cloud DVR, which is expected to be available at launch.

Hulu Live also added the A&E Cable Networks, which include A&E, History, Lifetime, Viceland.

No deal yet with Viacom

Also, it looks like Hulu Live won't be carrying The CW since they severed their relationship with Hulu last year. I don't see any mention of Hulu Live carrying The CW in any articles. I think The CW wants people to watch their ad supported App/website to get access to their content.

I've been reading a lot online and their still seems to be a bunch of really stubborn/finicky people who aren't buying into these cheaper streaming provider alternatives to cable and satellite. Some still think it's too expensive and they only want to pay for the select small amount of channels they are only interested in watching and not bundles.
Old 04-19-17, 12:58 AM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/13/hu...s-sources-say/

Not official yet, but Hulu Live's apparent basic starter price point is $39.99 per month.

Of course, the more content you add (like HBO, Showtime, sports), the more it will cost.
Old 04-19-17, 07:38 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Yet another streaming service I'll never get. Based on the prices of streaming offerings from all of these services, my UVerse is starting to not seem like a waste of my money.
Old 04-21-17, 08:34 AM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/19/hu...y-sources-say/

Hulu Live reportedly to launch Mid-May.
Old 05-01-17, 02:50 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

http://deadline.com/2017/05/hulu-liv...al-1202080470/

NBC has finally signed on to Hulu Live along with the Telemundo stations.
Old 05-03-17, 12:56 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

Went live as of today

Pricing and channels are listed in link. No Roku support yet.
Old 05-03-17, 10:42 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

Went live as of today

Pricing and channels are listed in link. No Roku support yet.
I'm about done with PSVue. Stuttering issue, DVR issues, just very unhappy. This looks to be a good alternative. I will be interested in hearing experiences. But no Roku is a deal breaker right now.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-13-17, 02:42 AM   #17
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Signed up for the free trial just so I could see the Directors Cut of Blackhat. We'll see how that goes...

By the way, in case it wasn't clear for anyone else, you need to install a separate Hulu Live TV app; the new features do not show up in the standard app.
Old 05-18-17, 10:34 AM   #18
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Decided to go back to a standard Hulu sub. Watching Blackhat was alright, but watching it after it aired, the ad chunks were 260 seconds every time, and spread about 10 to 15 minutes apart. So... A ton of ads.
I played around with Live TV for a bit, but honestly, it's not of much use to me. Maybe for $25 or $30 per month...
Old 05-18-17, 10:47 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so frustrated with PSVue. It's become barely watchable with all the stuttering and pixelation. Time for a change.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 05-18-17, 10:50 AM   #20
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Decided to go back to a standard Hulu sub. Watching Blackhat was alright, but watching it after it aired, the ad chunks were 260 seconds every time, and spread about 10 to 15 minutes apart. So... A ton of ads.
I played around with Live TV for a bit, but honestly, it's not of much use to me. Maybe for $25 or $30 per month...
Geezus, regular ad-ridden $7.99 Hulu...the most I've seen is around the 90 second area. 260...golly that's get up and make myself a drink and a sandwich.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 05-18-17, 12:28 PM   #21
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Geezus, regular ad-ridden $7.99 Hulu...the most I've seen is around the 90 second area. 260...golly that's get up and make myself a drink and a sandwich.
Yeah the weird thing is that regular hulu shows "ad 1 of X" usually 3 or 4 total. This shows a countdown timer instead with no indication as to how many ads you'll see exactly. I utilized that time to use the restroom, get a snack, etc.
Maybe it was so long because it's something that had just aired... But still... quite excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I'm so frustrated with PSVue. It's become barely watchable with all the stuttering and pixelation. Time for a change.
Had no issues like that with Hulu Live. It would drop the resolution down a few notches at times, but never stuttered or pixelized. Solid performance I would say.
Old 05-18-17, 12:30 PM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
From what I read the Cloud DVR function for the standard subscription does not allow you to fast forward commercials. You have to pay a $15 upgrade charge for the enhanced DVR with FF capabilities and 250 hours of space.

The reviews said this would be an annoying aspect for those who like to DVR content and hate ads.

The intent of this is for those who like to watch live TV including cable shows and don't want to pay a lot. DVR people are kind of screwed unless you don't mind paying the premium charge.
Old 05-18-17, 09:42 PM   #23
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I was also frustrated with Vue until I bought a Fire box. It's like night and day and haven't had any more issues. The app just sucks for Roku.
Old 05-19-17, 12:08 AM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition

I resigned up for Vue solely for the NBA playoffs and I've had zero stuttering/pixelation issues and I've watched 20 or so games on it. I'm on Apple TV.
Old 05-26-17, 10:54 AM   #25
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another one bites the dust....decided to cancel before the free trail was up. I can't figure out why these live TV services make simply changing channels so difficult. After all that's what live TV surfers do most. But no, you have to go to a box of thumbnails and click on a program.

Oh well, every time I try one of these I'm reminded what a cesspool basic cable has become. Nothing but commercials, fake reality shows, and screen clutter. Why does anyone pay for this?