Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Amazon Video download/device limit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 12:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Amazon Video download/device limit?

So I have a question about Amazon Instant Video (not prime, but movies or tv shows you've purchased), with regards to downloading videos.

The details of the Purchase rights section states "If you choose Download, you can download the video to two locations. This enables you to watch the video without an Internet connection. You can also transfer a downloaded video to two portable devices." The link for "download the video" unhelpfully points to a help page on prime video rather than purchased videos.

And the quote above is probably out of date (I think it's referring to when you would use to download a movie to your computer using some amazon software, and then that would allow you to copy it over to your device (that's what I remember doing years ago). I think that software was removed, and probably isn't needed these days because of wifi.

Anyway, I remember that you used to be able to see how many download licenses you still had (eg, 2, 1, etc) for a movie or for each episodes. Now, I don't see that information available anywhere.

So I'm wondering:
1. Is there still a limit?

I've tested with one of the free videos I've gotten, and I was actually able to download to 3 different devices (eg, my cellphone and two different kindles). Which suggests that there isn't, but maybe it's treated differently because it was free?

2. If there is still a limit, how exactly does it work?

Way back when I used a compatible mp3/video player, when I downloaded something, it would reduce the license number by 1, and wouldn't increase it when I deleted it later. (which meant that you could only download twice, ever, I guess?) I'm wondering if they've since changed it so that if you do delete it from one device, it reups your rights?

Anyway, thanks in advance if someone has the answers to these questions.