DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   The "Official" Disc to Digital Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/633753-official-disc-digital-discussion-thread.html)

OldBoy 03-29-16 08:40 PM

The "Official" Disc to Digital Discussion Thread

here we go. i don't think we necessarily have to post what doesn't work, but just taking this away from regular Vudu discussion thread to discuss all things disc to digital.

why don't they count Star Wars and bundles as more than one movie? that disturbs me a bit...

660 now.

OldBoy 03-30-16 05:10 PM

Re: The "Official" Disc to Digital Discussion Thread

almost 800 now as of a few minutes ago. funny thing. i put the DVD of Stanley Kubrick's A Life in Pictures for kicks to see if it would work. it let me download every movie in his catalog practically in HDX. i nabbed 2001, Lolita, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and i think How to...

TheBigDave 03-30-16 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12764705)
i put the DVD of Stanley Kubrick's A Life in Pictures for kicks to see if it would work. it let me download every movie in his catalog practically in HDX. i nabbed 2001, Lolita, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and i think How to...

That happens sometimes when there's a box set. A few of the Hitchcock discs also offer a big list of movies.

Texan26 03-30-16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 12764705)
almost 800 now as of a few minutes ago. funny thing. i put the DVD of Stanley Kubrick's A Life in Pictures for kicks to see if it would work. it let me download every movie in his catalog practically in HDX. i nabbed 2001, Lolita, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and i think How to...

Yeah, I've had movies that are part of a box set let you redeem for many other movies. One of the Alien movies, lets you redeem all of them in the series. I also had an Elvis Presley movie that lets you redeem for 8 different Elvis movies. Don't remember which were the titles that did it. I just remember that the Elvis movie that did it was part of a Warner four film favorites dvd set. A Life in Pictures is included in a Stanley Kubrick dvd set so that's what happened with that one also.

OldBoy 03-30-16 05:46 PM

i know so cool. i did want A Life in Pictures too, but oh well. why wouldn't it give me the docu and give me the rest of catalog? weird...

i am trying these that i think will never work and wala. i wish i could get the DVD of Big Fan to work though :(

and why is MGM, Miramax so stubborn? i have gotten a couple Miramax to work though and when MGM is producing with another company sometimes works...

i tried one Kino Lorber and one Shout! Scream Factory and those don't work either...

Texan26 03-30-16 05:51 PM

Shout! Scream Factory versions of The Funhouse, Halloween 2, and Halloween 3 worked for me. Those are Universal Studios movies. They Live did not work for me and that's also a Universal title that's supposedly eligible.

OldBoy 03-30-16 06:03 PM

i tried They Live too to no avail. actually tried a few Shout and they all didn't work.

davidh777 03-30-16 06:24 PM

Thanks for starting a new thread but not providing any info because you figure everyone had read the old thread! :rolleyes:

I read through the last few pages of the VUDU thread, and let's see if I have the general idea:
  • For VUDU, you can convert physical media to digital, $2 for same-def (DVD>SD, BD>HD) or $5 to upgrade DVD to HD.
  • Converting a batch of 10 online gets you half-price.
  • You can do this on your computer if you have a compatible drive and just pay via your VUDU account, or you can go inside a Walmart and have them do it if you can find someone who actually knows what they're doing.
  • Most discs are eligible other than Disney, MGM, Criterion, and some smaller studios.

http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html

Flixster looks like they have a beta service as well.

https://video.flixster.com/d2d

TheBigDave 03-30-16 06:31 PM

Check your local library. They often have 1000's of DVDs. You might be able to find the original Universal release.

If they don't have it on the shelves, check their online catalog. It might be at another branch. They'll transfer it to your local branch and hold it for you.

The Cow 03-30-16 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12764778)
Thanks for starting a new thread but not providing any info because you figure everyone had read the old thread! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm a little lost here too. So OP is in the process of paying for all those movies to get the streaming option, is that what's going on here?

Texan26 03-30-16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 12764785)
Check your local library. They often have 1000's of DVDs. You might be able to find the original Universal release.

I rented the original Universal release from Netflix by mail to do the disc to digital. I did not mention it since some people might think it's immoral.

E Unit 03-30-16 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12764789)
Yeah, I'm a little lost here too. So OP is in the process of paying for all those movies to get the streaming option, is that what's going on here?

Yep, pretty much the case. And at 660 movies at 50%, he's spent probably over $350-$400 by now (I'm sure he did quite a few DVD's as well).

OldBoy 03-30-16 07:26 PM

820 and I'm done!

finished the immediate Bluray collection. will most likely not convert any DVD's as i don't have ready access to them because they are in storage. we'll see...

TheBang 03-30-16 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12764778)
I read through the last few pages of the VUDU thread, and let's see if I have the general idea:

Pretty much. Just a couple additional items that are good to know:
  • They are not really adding any new movies to the D2D-eligible list, so nothing newer than 2014 or so is going to happen.
  • There are a number of otherwise-eligible titles that will not be recognized or will be misidentified by the software. VUDU has shown no interest in fixing these issues, so either give up on those or take them in to a Walmart to do in-store D2D. Or you can try doing it through Flixster or CinemaNow's D2D programs.
  • For in-store D2D, you do not get a 50% discount, nor can you use any VUDU credit balance on your account to pay for it.

TheBigDave 03-31-16 12:16 AM

If you're doing the In-Store D2D, you have to use this link. It's different from the At-Home D2D link.

http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html

Use that page to make a list of titles and print it out. Then take your printout and stack of DVDs to your local Walmart Photo Center.

TheBigDave 04-02-16 05:56 PM

Flixster has stopped offering Disc-to-Digital conversions.

Their software has removed the option. I contacted customer service, and they confirmed that it's no longer available.

E Unit 04-02-16 06:42 PM

I wonder what's up with that?

OldBoy 04-02-16 07:15 PM

i wish i had more discs to go through. it was so addicting...

E Unit 04-02-16 07:32 PM

Then go into your storage and pop a few boxes open of your DVD's. Glad you get something out of it. As for me, it just beat buying digital codes for $3-$4. $1 is easy to do, but any more and I feel like it's to much.

OldBoy 04-02-16 08:44 PM

Yeah, that price point is a no brainer...
I think I will start going through but most I upgraded anyway so not sure what I'll find.

OldBoy 04-02-16 08:53 PM

Does twilight time work?

E Unit 04-02-16 09:11 PM

No. Pretty much all boutique labels (Twilight Time, Criterion, Shout, Synapse, etc) aren't part of the program.

OldBoy 04-02-16 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 12767196)
No. Pretty much all boutique labels (Twilight Time, Criterion, Shout, Synapse, etc) aren't part of the program.

figures. thanks. too bad too since they have most of the TT titles i wanted (The Blob, The Believers, Sexy Beast, etc...).

OldBoy 04-06-16 07:05 PM

so when i put in Almost Famous Bootleg Cut, how come i don't get that cut and only 124 inferior theatrical edition? is this something i can get? the disc even reads as Director's Edition, etc...

E Unit 04-06-16 07:14 PM

I thought it was all inferior....

I guess only the theatrical cut is available on digital...?